Stocking a Medicine Cabinet

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:01 am
Sure as winter follows spring, wedding showers are going to follow engagement notices. As an old fashioned snob, I believe that "showers" are occasions for practical gifts (although I resent being assigned to bring a box of scouring pads--gift wrapped!--for the Kitchen Well).

I've been thinking that I might shower these brides with the contents of a medicine cabinet. The bridal couples are in their mid-twenties, but will undoubtedly be visited by accident-prone nieces and nephews of all ages.

What would you expect to find in a well-stocked medicine cabinet. Suggestions are welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 10:30 am
Band-Aids- Different sizes
Calamine lotion
Alcohol
Cortisone cream
Triple Antibiotic cream
Q tips
Gauze/cotton
Surgical tape
Betadine
Aspirin or other over the counter pain killer
Milk of Magnesia
Immodium
Pepto-Bismol
Benadryl (for allergic reaction)
Chloraseptic (for sore throats)
Thermometer

I'll think of more later, but this may cost you more than you thought!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 10:41 am
That's a really good idea! But wrap it up nicely in a pretty practical basket or container to add a little levity to it! Or add some pretty bathtub stuff like salts or candles or massage oil!

Hot and cold pack (those icey things you put in the freezer.
Peroxide
Witch Hazel

Pheonix has it really well covered!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:16 am
ipecac- in case a little one swallows something that he shouldn't.
Booklet on poisons (to know whether you should give the ipecac)
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:19 am
Good point and if they have little ones visiting they need something other than aspirin. Tylenol or baby "aspirin".
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:07 pm
Sunscreen
Tweezers
Scizzors
Polysporin
Cough Syrup
Tums

Awesome list Phoenix
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:40 pm
Phoenix--

Dollars to dog biscuits, you just marched into your bathroom and inventoried your own medicine cabinet. Thank you.

Feaola--

Believe me, I'll wrap pretty. I avoid anything that is scented because of family allergies, but in a more "normal" family....

Ceile--

Tweezers and scissors. Excellent. The Tweezers reminded me to include a paper of pins for splinters and such.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to anchor the Medicine Cabinet tweezers, scissors and needles so they stay in the Medicine Cabinet?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 01:59 pm
Noddy, tis one of lifes great mysteries. If you ever get the answer let me know.
Ceili
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:12 pm
Noddy, found a small miniture tin cup with a handle (you know the old fashioned camping cups?) Holds the tweezers, small scissors, emory boards, and nail file. Actually, there are two cups - the other holds neoporin and other atibiotic creams.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:06 pm
Stradee--

I use a similar system--but scissors and tweezers and such all wander--and they do not always wander home!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 05:25 pm
Noddy Very Happy

Wandering tweezers are a problem. Perhaps a bell? Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:03 pm
Stradee--

Bell, book and candle?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:17 pm
Noddy ~ Only if ya all can conjure up Ernie Kovacks - my favorite comedy actor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:19 pm
Japanese green tea tea-cups might make a good tweezer/scissor holder. They have no handles, they look good and they are usually narrower than american mugs.Geisha girl tea cups
Rabbit and Dragonfly tea cups
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:41 pm
Little K, the mugs are decorative - smaller than traditional camping tin mugs. They're great for storing small impliments, and fit nicely, taking up very little room in the medicine cabinets. Probably sounded odd - tin mugs in the medicine cabinet Smile

Also medical scissors (elongated used for cutting bandages) fit well in a tall thin jar. You can either keep the jar as is, or cover with decorative paper. Another good idea for storing scissors - a desk pen/pencil holder, with many colors and designs to choose from.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:06 am
I try to avoid using glass or pottery in the bathroom. Hard surfaces mean inevitable smitherenes.

My catch-alls are empty spice containers--ugly but practical plastic.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:10 am
[quote]Dollars to dog biscuits, you just marched into your bathroom and inventoried your own medicine cabinet. Thank you. [/quote]

That ain't the half of it! :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:16 am
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQDUAq0Xb6ouoLBnrQv7goRCJCnCrMrD34lVRQR7XL8CW5maSa*uVmTslBvtCosFbO5RcMC0kb6cjUcXissnmzdSz3fze6sxH3oryANbtgJmUItEWuIPYg/wet%20wipes.jpg?dc=4675450301174148294

These plastic boxes make very handy containers. I keep lipsticks in them, but I think that they could serve the purpose for other small items.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:55 am
found a few lists on line:

http://www.lebanonhealth.com/condi/cabinet.html

http://www.pacpubserver.com/new/health/d-e/hm020401.html

http://www.greenhillspharmacy.com/articles/medcabinet.htm

http://www.springfieldclinic.com/Topics/Health/MEDI4758.htm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:09 am
Quinn--

Thank you! Your sites are very useful. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies