What is hope...is there a difference between hope and faith

Jiggy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 10:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree it is in many regards "stone-headed", For example, the belief that a four footed wolf-like land animal, morphed into a megaton of blubber... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/89/41/d08941ceafd1738f292f20e53f019baa.gif

...and the belief that apes became human apes...
https://media.giphy.com/media/inWAOmRiBKGis/giphy.gif

... all are based on insisting that that particular belief is correct.
Yet there is no account of a single common ancestor. There is no account of a gradual transformation, etc.

However the guess does remain that a few bones paint a very accurate picture of how we got here. Not being able to see that, would make it a blind guess... ant they claim it's correct.

It seems to me that no one actually says there are things that are not known, and leave it alone.
It seems humans have a built in system to know things.
They want to know why they are here; where they came from; where they are going. Hence science. Hence ideas. Hence investigation. Hence religion.

I propose that the why, what, and where questions were a product of man from his beginnings.
What do you think?

@Leadfoot, Thanks.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 10:56 am
@Jiggy,
You have no idea. Nobody has said that humans evolved from apes. We have a common ancestor.
Jiggy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes. We do have a common ancestor - the one we know of. Man. Anything besides that requires faith.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 01:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Same story as E. coli, or so the story goes.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 02:22 pm
@Jiggy,
Jiggy wrote:

I agree it is in many regards "stone-headed", For example, the belief that a four footed wolf-like land animal, morphed into a megaton of blubber... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/89/41/d08941ceafd1738f292f20e53f019baa.gif

...and the belief that apes became human apes...
https://media.giphy.com/media/inWAOmRiBKGis/giphy.gif

... all are based on insisting that that particular belief is correct.
Yet there is no account of a single common ancestor. There is no account of a gradual transformation, etc.

However the guess does remain that a few bones paint a very accurate picture of how we got here. Not being able to see that, would make it a blind guess... ant they claim it's correct.

It seems to me that no one actually says there are things that are not known, and leave it alone.
It seems humans have a built in system to know things.
They want to know why they are here; where they came from; where they are going. Hence science. Hence ideas. Hence investigation. Hence religion.

I propose that the why, what, and where questions were a product of man from his beginnings.
What do you think?

@Leadfoot, Thanks.

I have absolutely no problem accepting that I do not know the stuff I do not know...and when I am questioned about stuff I do not know...I acknowledge that I do not know it.

On most of those kinds of questions, I do not hazard a blind guess.

I suspect you blindly guess that there is a god.

Do you?

And if you do...do you have "faith" in that blind guess?
Jiggy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 02:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't think you would say scientists blindly guess stuff, would you?
They use evidence, and make interpretations and inferences based on circumstantial evidence. We do the same. We don't guess God. We also use the facts which gives evidence of God.
Jiggy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 03:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
We were discussing faith though. weren't we? I was just pointing out that all of us have to use faith. It's not really a bad thing. That's all.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 04:40 pm
@Jiggy,
What are the facts which give evidence for God?
Jiggy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 04:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
I'm not discussing that here. This thread is on faith and hope.
We can discuss the faith in science if you like.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2020 07:29 pm
@Jiggy,
You did say faith is the substance of reality. Seeing as how facts and evidence are reality, they're features of faith. This is on topic in regard to the part about faith in this thread.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 01:23 am
@InfraBlue,
Are you surprised he’s running away from facts, truth, evidence?

It’s what they always do, spout a load of bullshit and then act like you’re the one with a problem when you refuse to swallow it.
Jasper10

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 06:07 am
@Jiggy,
Faith and Hope or not is all that ANY individual has, certainly when it comes to whether God exists or not. For those who don’t have faith and hope in God, it may not matter..If God does exist ....then who’s the fool ? Take no notice of people who either say there is no God or who want proof of a God.They know themselves that they can’t prove that there isn’t.

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 06:11 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
What are the facts which give evidence for God?

It’s pretty cool that goo from a tidal pond or an under sea vent can ask that question, dontcha think?
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 09:41 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah, I'm humoring them.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 09:43 am
@Leadfoot,
That's still a conclusion based on an assumption, though.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 09:52 am
@InfraBlue,
What gets me is that evolution is accepted by most intelligent Christians. I can’t see what these extremists are so scared of.
0 Replies

Jiggy

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 12:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
Simply create a thread asking for evidence for God.
Right now, the focus shifted to faith in science beliefs.
Or, we can play fair and do this... Show me that you evolution believers don't depend on faith to believe most of the evolution ideas... starting with whale evolution, and once we get a clear answer on that, I promise you, I will present the evidence for God.
How is that. Deal?

By the way, facts and evidence may indicate realities, but they are not necessarily realities, depending on how one defines them.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 12:10 pm
@Jiggy,
Yeah, because people have nothing better to do than trying to educate someone who refuses to see reason.

You’re a lost cause.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2020 11:00 pm
@Jiggy,
How is it otherwise unfair?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2020 06:22 am
@Jiggy,
Jiggy wrote:

I don't think you would say scientists blindly guess stuff, would you?

Many scientists make blind guesses about stuff. They call those blind guesses..."blind guesses." They would laugh at the thought of insisting that their blind guess have to be accepted as truth.

Quote:
They use evidence, and make interpretations and inferences based on circumstantial evidence. We do the same. We don't guess God. We also use the facts which gives evidence of God.

Jiggy, the religious make blind guesses...call those blind guesses "beliefs"...and then insist that every one else "respect" their blind guesses.