What is hope...is there a difference between hope and faith

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:12 pm
I just need opinions on hope and faith...are they the same things? And how do we know if we have it or not
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 18 • Views: 26,904 • Replies: 243

Solmeci

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:20 pm
Hope is a desire for something to happen.
Faith is the belief that something will happen without the desire for it.
scaredtodie94

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:33 pm
@Solmeci,
How do we know if we have them?
thack45

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 04:51 pm
@scaredtodie94,
scaredtodie94 wrote:

That is a difficult question to definitvely answer. It seems to me though that most people maintain some form of hope and/or faith at any given moment in their lives. This may not help but you are demonstrating hope in the questions that you are asking. If you believe that you will find acceptable answers to your questions here, you are being faithful.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:19 pm
@scaredtodie94,
scaredtodie94 wrote:

I just need opinions on hope and faith...are they the same things? And how do we know if we have it or not

Hope does not imply belief. But faith is a kind of belief and so, implies belief. Therefore, hope does not imply belief and faith does. So they cannot be the same.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:40 pm
@kennethamy,
While hope does not necessitate faith, it functions much the same as faith. behavior is affected similarly by both. One hopes for something one will normally acts as if that something will be/is. One has faith in something one mormally acts as if that this will be/is. So although they are different with hope normally preceeding faith they can be the same thing in practice. However hope can correspond with knowledge as well while faith by definition cannot, although often it corresponds in a more metaphical sense. Such as I know the sun will rise, but some nights I feel as such that I also hope the sun will rise, which extends to my faith in the sun rising, as metaphorically my emotions are such that I doubt the sun can rise in the morning.
Arjuna

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Hope does not imply belief. But faith is a kind of belief and so, implies belief. Therefore, hope does not imply belief and faith does. So they cannot be the same.
Well said. Hope has to do with a lack of acceptance. If you accepted everything as it is, you wouldn't have hope.

Faith, as it especially pertains to hope, is belief in that which can't be proven, or appears to be untrue... for instance Martin Luther King, Jr's faith that white people could overcome their fears. Such belief has a deep anchor.

Hope is directed toward an ideal. A person with hope is prone to cynicism. The condemnation that's implicit in hope takes over and the ideal is blotted out. This is false acceptance. It's an attempt to ease the pain of being hopeful.

Faith stabilizes hope. An example of that is faith that no matter how bad things seem, it's still right to trust nature.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:53 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

which extends to my faith in the sun rising, as metaphorically my emotions are such that I doubt the sun can rise in the morning.
yup.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 06:28 pm
Hope: Desire and expectation all rolled into one.
Faith: Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.

Ambrose Bierce. The Devil's Dictionary.
0 Replies

scaredtodie94

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 07:07 pm
@scaredtodie94,
Thank you ALL so much
Pemerson

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 09:18 pm
@scaredtodie94,
Hope? I think it would be just holding a positive attitude. Where's it gonna get you if you don't even think good things will happen. Expect they will.

Faith? See, in your mind's eye, getting what you have asked for, but don't dwell on it.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 09:23 pm
@scaredtodie94,
scaredtodie94 wrote:
Your question is quite baffeling, why do you ask such simple things?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 03:06 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

scaredtodie94 wrote:

Because she is sixteen years old.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 03:15 am
@scaredtodie94,
Hope is a desired wish or expectation.

Faith is a strong belief that a desired wish or expectation will be met.
kennethamy

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 06:44 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

My strong belief that the Sun will rise tomorrow is not faith, although I wish and desire that the Sun will rise tomorrow. And it is not faith since I have a great deal of evidence that the Sun will rise tomorrow. But faith is belief (however strong) which lacks evidence.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:51 am
@kennethamy,
The sun will rise tomorrow regardless of what you hope for or have faith in. Got something better?
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 12:29 pm
@kennethamy,
Faith = things believed but not seen, I have not seen tomorrow's sunrise, so I have faith in it. Inferential evidence has no hold over the defenition of faith. Aside from that faith can be and is often exercised despite physical evidence it is not subject to knowledge. If one who is exercising faith refuses to claim knowledge of something they can still exercise faith even if that faith is in the very same thing that they could readily know. Faith is not bound by nor should it be bound by logic.
Pemerson

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:41 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

This is similar to a Bible verse, "Ask and ye shall receive."
But, that is only the first part. First you ask, secondly, you see yourself already having this thing that you want (hope) Thirdly, you say 'thank you (faith) knowing that it is already done.

This has nothing to do with just saying things. If you don't want this thing with all your heart and soul, then take on the feeling as if you already have it, it simply won't work for you...or, me. You have to know that you deserve it (no doubting) are ready for it, and then it will be yours.

0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:50 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

scaredtodie94 wrote:

Because she is sixteen years old.
Indeed she is 16, but that doesn't explain why she ask the questions, which is simple to google. When I was 16 all I knew could tell the difference.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:08 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

The sun will rise tomorrow regardless of what you hope for or have faith in. Got something better?

Why would you think I deny that the Sun will rise tomorrow whether or not I hope it will or believe it will? Better than what?
0 Replies