ADVICE WANTED

lusytka

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 04:13 pm
Hello all. I;m Lucy and my dog is Eddie, lovely 3.5 year old westie.
Eddie is a special dog. He is my first dog. Extremly spoild, but smart. He is seriously very jelaous. Doesn;t like mens at all. but No problem with my bf cos he spoil him too. No problem with girls or womens. Most of the time when i work he's home alone. I do lot of walking and running every day. Once he's of the lead, no problem, but on the lead becamming agresive to other dogs. Doesn't show much interrest to play with other dogs either. Sometimes he like barking in garden for no reason, just giving out for birds. In Same way, have to say, he is a great guardinen dog for the house. Anyway, i do feel bad, when he is all day, home by him self. Looking out from window waiting for my to come home from work. So long time i am thinking to get an other dog. Puppy. I am shor i would manage two dogs,and Hoping that Eddie will take him ok. As somebody to play with. But i am not shor. Double bark will not sound too good. But thinking that they may play together when i am in work sound better...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 04:16 pm
@lusytka,
Two dogs are usually more than twice the trouble. I have heard they are also more than twice the fun, but I wouldn't bet on it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 04:28 pm
@lusytka,
Several issues are at hand...
Did you get the dog from a shelter? Sometimes shelter dogs when they have been exposed to abusive owners (especially men) they tend to act out against strange men they don't know.

His lack of interest with other dogs could be that he wasn't taught how to be sociable with other dogs when he was a puppy. I'm not so sure that adding a companion dog to the mix when clearly right now he shows signs of jealousy and aggression towards other dogs walking by him, let alone the possibility that he might have to share your time and love with him as well.

Well dogs bark at things like birds when they're not mentally stimulated or just feel bored or somehow feel threatened by whatever (whether it's irrational or not) .

The jealousy issue and the barking is unlikely to be related other then the fact it indicates you have a neurotic or jerk of a dog.

It might be a good idea to have a trainer help you with the dog... one issue at a time. I'd say the barking should take precedent. Just because a dog's a people dog rather then a dog's dog (AKA he rather spend his time with his two legged companions rather then other dogs) doesn't mean this is an issue in the first place. For all we know it's just his personality.
0 Replies