Does this sound spoken by a native English speaker?

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:12 am
With the gender imbalance in China, with men out-numbering women, it is surprising women can't find their match. It can be put down to two plausible reasons. Firstly, graduate women demand too much of their prospective partners, and secondly, they have poor upbringing, behaving badly, throwing tantrums, quarrelsome and downright domineering, a product of the one-child policy. Being a woman and a graduate in China, they have this oversized self-esteem because a lot of their sisters don't even get the chance to go to college! With this kind of mentality it is little wonder that men give them the miss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 577 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:31 am
@oristarA,
No ! It reads like an educated foreigner unfamiliar with some grammatical nuances.

No doubt somebody will point those out to you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:41 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
With the gender imbalance in China, with men out-numbering women, it is surprising women can't find their match. It can be put down to two plausible reasons. Firstly, graduate women demand too much of their prospective partners, and secondly, they have poor upbringing, behaving badly, throwing tantrums, quarrelsome and downright domineering, a product of the one-child policy. Being a woman and a graduate in China, they have this oversized self-esteem because a lot of their sisters don't even get the chance to go to college! With this kind of mentality it is little wonder that men give them the miss.
Yes, except the last 4 words.
I 've never heard anyone say "give them the miss."

David
fresco

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
With the gender imbalance in China, with men out-numbering women, it is surprising some women can't find their match. This can be put down to two plausible reasons: firstly, graduate women demand too much of their prospective partners, and secondly, they have "poor upbringing", involving behaving badly, throwing tantrums, being quarrelsome and being downright domineering (which may be attributed a product of the one-child policy). Being women and graduates in China, they have this oversized self-esteem because a lot of their sisters don't even get the chance to go to college! With this kind of mentality, it is little wonder that men give them the miss.

I have corrected as a UK English speaker. "Give them a miss" is fine.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:01 am
Quote:
it is surprising some women can't find their match

"Can't" is slangy; cannot is better.

Quote:
This can be put down to two plausible reasons

1. "Put down" is slangy; attributed is better.
2. Causes, not reasons.

Quote:
which may be attributed a product of the one-child policy

The word "attributed", here, is superfluous and also incorrectly used (one attributes an outcome to a cause)

Consequence is better than product.

Quote:
they have this oversized self-esteem

"This" is slangy; "an" is better.

Quote:
a lot of their sisters don't even get the chance to go to college!

"Don't" is slangy: do not is better.

"Even" is unnecessary.

The exclamation mark should be replaced with a full stop ("period"). Avoid overuse of exclamation marks in formal writing. They are hardly ever necessary.

I have to add that I find the sentiments expressed in this article contemptible, and I am not surprised if many educated Chinese women reject the kind of man who thinks like that.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:10 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

With the gender imbalance in China, with men out-numbering women, it is surprising that women can't find their match. It can be put down to two plausible reasons. Firstly, graduate women demand too much of their prospective partners, and secondly, they have poor upbringing, behaving badly, throwing tantrums, quarrelsome and downright domineering, a product of the one-child policy. Being a woman and a graduate in China, they have this oversized self-esteem because a lot of their sisters don't even get the chance to go to college! With this kind of mentality it is little wonder that men give them the miss.
I don 't consider it to be contemptible.

David
contrex

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I don 't consider it to be contemptible.

Well I do

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:33 am
@contrex,
Thank you Contrex.

Thank you all.
0 Replies