What would John Wayne have said?

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:40 pm
What Would John Wayne have said?
Here is an AP news flash:

Obama seeks reimprisonment for Lockerbie bomber
Comments 1
August 20, 2010 2:10 PM

VINEYARD HAVEN, Mass. -- The Obama administration is asking that the only person convicted for the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 be returned to a Scottish prison.

John Brennan, President Barack Obama's counterterrorism adviser, told reporters Friday the U.S. has "expressed our strong conviction" to Libyan officials that Abdel Baset Al-Megrahi should not remain free.

What would the esteemed and somewhat cynical John Wayne have said had he been privileged to live during the Hope and Change presidency? "That'll be the day". That is what John Wayne would have said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,571 • Replies: 22

BillRM

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:55 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
What would the esteemed and somewhat cynical John Wayne have said had he been privileged to live during the Hope and Change presidency? "That'll be the day". That is what John Wayne would have said.

Why should anyone care what a long dead "actor" would say or not say about any current issue?
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:57 pm
@BillRM,
actor? Shocked

i thought we were talking about the long dead serial killer mr. gacy Embarrassed
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:05 pm
@kennethamy,
John Wayne , Marian Morrison, was no hero. He did not serve in WWII using his knee injury from football as a way out. He was a 'reel' hero with unrealistic heroics.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:26 pm
Who put philosophy as a tag for this?
talk72000

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
I guess the name kennethamy suggests philosophy!!!! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Mr. Green 2 Cents Drunk
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:34 pm
I think he would say,

Quote:
Boy, you haven't put much Critical Thinking into this, have you, Kenny?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:56 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

John Wayne , Marian Morrison, was no hero. He did not serve in WWII using his knee injury from football as a way out. He was a 'reel' hero with unrealistic heroics.

Not talking about Marion Morrison, no more than when I talk about Superman am I talking about Clark Kent.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Why should anyone care what a long dead "actor" would say or not say about any current issue?

Not talking about an actor, I am talking about the character played by John Wayne.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 05:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Not talking about an actor, I am talking about the character played by John Wayne.

Well that's odd, because you titled the thread "What would John Wayne have said?" and ended your first post with:

Quote:
That is what John Wayne would have said.

You're so full of **** dude

Cycloptichorn
kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 06:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Well that's odd, because you titled the thread "What would John Wayne have said?" and ended your first post with:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

So you think that the Libyan will be taken back to prison to serve out his term?
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 06:28 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
So you think that the Libyan will be taken back to prison to serve out his term?

no
roger

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 06:37 pm
@djjd62,
Good analysis.

They won. Get over it.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 06:54 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Good analysis.

They won. Get over it.

I was never on it. I simply was pointing out that when the President announces that the terrorist ought to go back to jail, this is still another case of Hope and Change talking through his hat. He knows, we all know, that is not going to happen. "That'll be the day".
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn
It seems fairly evident to me just from ken's OP that he is referring to an - at one point fairly collectively understood - attitude of a (once) popular fictitious charactor.
And though I cannot figure why one would wish to associate with this sort of reach in to the ridiculous political news bin, ken is most definately not the type that should be casually written off (not that I assume that you have done so) as full of ****.
BillRM

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 12:59 am
@thack45,
Quote:
It seems fairly evident to me just from ken's OP that he is referring to an - at one point fairly collectively understood - attitude of a (once) popular fictitious charactor.

The only problem is John Wayne is the name a so call actor went by and is not a character in any movie or play or work of fiction.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:00 am
@BillRM,
Maybe life would be a lot simpler if more of us were like The Quiet Man
kennethamy

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:47 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

The only problem is John Wayne is the name a so call actor went by and is not a character in any movie or play or work of fiction.

I made it clear that I was referring to the kinds of roles John Wayne played.
rabel22

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:27 am
@kennethamy,
No, you did not!
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 09:38 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Didn't he play with a particular persona in most of those movies?

John Wayne is a pretty standard cultural reference. I think I've only seen him in "the longest day" though.
0 Replies