Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 03:55 pm
Watching the telly early this morning, troops arriving home from Iraq, lots of hugs and kisses. made my morning cup of tea and watched some more hugs and kisses and thought I've never been to the Vietnam Memorial wall in D.C. and highly unlikely I ever will, don't think I want to. around 4400 american dead and 32000 wounded in Iraq. made me sad. So, america, what you gonna do with this bunch of broken men and women. the dumpster?
http://padresteve.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/vietnam-memorial.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 10,054 • Replies: 147

djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 04:10 pm
@dyslexia,
maybe a mosque?

wait, what Shocked
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 04:22 pm
I have mentioned before, Dys, that I was one of the lucky ones who was able to put VN in a box, put it on a shelf and move on.
I get up to D.C. a few times a year to go to museums and galleries. D.C. is only 2 hours from Cville.
I tried to go to the VN Memorial a couple of times years ago but could never make the last 100 yards. Back then, and perhaps even now, there are veterans who patrol the perimeter watching out for people like me. They will walk you in if that is what you want to do.
The so-called big news today is the withdrawal of the last combat troops from Iraq. Total bullshit. 4400 Americans killed, 32000 physically wounded and then there are those with no physical scars but who suffered a lot of damage.
And there will be more.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 04:24 pm
@realjohnboy,
yeah.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 04:37 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
Although flawless counts are impossible to come by – the transient nature of homeless populations presents a major difficulty – VA estimates that 107,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. Over the course of a year, approximately twice that many experience homelessness. Only eight percent of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly one-fifth of the homeless population are veterans.
JTT

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:47 pm
@dyslexia,
Stop with the silly regrets already. We all should be looking forward to the next war. What's a measly 4000 US dead, 100,000 or so dead Iraqis.

Think of the profits that were made.

Think about what stocks you want to be holding for the next big event.

Think about how these really trivial numbers of expendable humans make it possible for 2 million people who count to stay employed at the DoD.

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood ... ta da ta da da da da da.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:55 pm
Many of these troops will be sent to Afghanistan. It ain't over til it's over.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Many of these troops will be sent to Afghanistan. It ain't over til it's over.
I fear it's only just begun.
djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:11 pm
@dyslexia,
and when the ground war starts in Iran, oh boy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:16 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I fear it's only just begun.

Who's that fella that slept for, like forever?

"only just begun"??!

Wakee wakee.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:29 pm
@dyslexia,
Me too.

On another note, the vietnam memorial is tremendous. I'm not a vet, but I can just imagine, and understand your hundred yards thing, johnboy.
I didn't know about the vets being around helping out in that way. That's good to hear.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:27 pm
I don't see a war in the near future in Iran. Of course, I didn't expect anything as looney as the war in Iraq.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am not as sanguine as you about that, Edgar. The Iranian government strikes me as having only a tenuous grip on power within the country. And Israel will not tolerate a neighbor like Iran with nuke potential.
But I am perhaps drifting from the theme of Dys' original post.
I'll be quiet.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
my original post is dead and gone, it was a momentary lapse of reason, I meant to say something about how I felt seeing the troops coming home while at the same time remembering the past. can't really post feelings like that on a forum nor even speak of them in a quiet room with a friend. I need to close that door I opened in error.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:15 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
I need to close that door I opened in error.

I made it to the wall.

More often than not I can't get the door open. Got my own particular problems with the handle.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:42 pm
@ehBeth,
just finding a door is more than most do, most days I'd settle for a window.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:06 pm
I saw the wall. I passed near by the wall and peered at it. I had a hard time approaching the wall. And I was just a kid when that war ended.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:13 pm
@dyslexia,
I when encourage the Congress to support the Veterans Administration to the fullest extent.

I suppose one could volunteer to help our fellow veterans adjust to the civilian life when they muster out from the service.

Help a veteran find a job or utilize his or her benefits. ETc....
littlek

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
Or volunteer at a VA hospital...?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:21 pm
@littlek,
That's always an option.
0 Replies