The Iraq war is over!

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:09 pm
Or is it? The last of the combat troops are outta there, Obama has taken credit for keeping his promise and getting the troops out (two weeks early, even!), but for some reason, it doesn't feel like anything is over.

There are still 50,000 troops in Iraq. Is this really what Obama meant when he said he'd have all the troops out of Iraq in 18 months?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,789 • Replies: 5
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:11 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
There are still 50,000 troops in Iraq.
you seem to have not gotten the memo that many of the 50,000 are combat troops, they have simply had their unit structure slightly tweaked and then been renamed advisers.

Nice trick don't ya think?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:12 pm
@kickycan,
the ones that are left aren't combat troops, they're....uh......um....boy scout troops Confused

some kinda troops anyway (but not combat)
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 09:18 pm
Some of my friends are done in Sept. I think the last due back in January.

As an example, my friend is a chemical officer. He is in charge of a large group of soldiers that drive and do maintenance on mobile water purification systems and water trucks. Yes, exactly, like the Polly Shore movie. I think he works on sewage issues too.

It's not all spin, many military units are there for infrastructure type missions.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 09:25 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
It's not all spin, many military units are there for infrastructure type missions.
a lot, somewhere around 5k, are soldiers who are working on taking down the infrastructure, and either sending it to Afghanistan, to America, or giving it to the Iraqis. We are still doing a lot of military work though, my wife is in a Regular Army MI brigade, and they are being replaced this week, not with Iraqi's but with a National Guard brigade.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 09:50 pm
If those 50k troops aren't combat troops, what are they doing with their guns?

Don't you love it the way our government uses words? They are in Iraq to ah, to ah, you know, to supervise the training of Iraqi troops. We have withdrawn our troops from Iraq...
0 Replies