dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:28 pm
@littlek,
K, the thing is, the thing in my mind this morning watching the telly news, was the celebration by the media. They were not celebrating the return of the troops on their stage, that was just their backdrop. what they were celebrating was war and the implication of winning a war, coming home from winning a war, re-uniting families after winning a war. all as if the media won the war because they offered today's scene of troops coming home and hugs and kisses. No war was won, there is no functioning government in Iraq, there's not even electricity in Baghdad. Did the media today show us, the viewers the ones coming home in parts or in boxes, brain dead or just brain damaged and where will they be five years from now, in a shelter? on a street? Today the media did not celebrate the troops coming home, the media sold advertising to show the glory of coming home winners of war. winners, at least til they ship out to afghanistan or pakistan or iran or where-ever to keep on winning wars so the troops can come home celebrating winning another war. That's ok we can build more memorials, we can surround Washington D.C. with memorials.
I guess my door didn't get shut tight enough or I need a lorazepam or I need to not watch the news.
and yeah K, I was just a kid when the war ended too.
littlek

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:32 pm
We seem to be in a post-Vietnam backlash where we are doing our damnedest to welcome home our troops. Unfortunately, this seems to be on a superficial level only, STILL. You're right, Iraq is a mess AND we will be invested (in a very human way) there for a long time coming.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:41 pm
I wonder if there are any who really have gone to the wall.

I'd sure like to think that there are.
Ionus

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:58 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
the media sold advertising to show the glory of coming home winners of war.
That has to be better than showing civilians spitting on them and calling them baby-bayoneters. Like JTT is found of....
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 03:59 am
@JTT,
Quote:
I wonder if there are any who really have gone to the wall.
I havent been to THAT wall....but I do know something of walls.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 07:11 am
@JTT,
What do you mean by really?

If you're being literal then, yes, I've really been to the wall. And walked it's length. Twice. The first time was extremely difficult as it was not too long after it opened and there were many veterans and visitors in tears as they looked through the books to find the location of their loved ones. They used papers and pencils to rub over the names on the wall to make an image that they could take home with them. Some were physically unable to leave unassisted. Others were unable to complete the task and volunteers (myself included) did it for them.

The second time was still emotional but not as difficult. It was just two years ago and, with the passage of time, the raw emotion has softened somewhat. There are fewer folks making tracings now. And fewer who need assistance.

I've also visited the other war memorials on the mall. None of them touch me quite in the same way. Maybe that's because Vietnam was the war of my generation. Maybe it's because the other memorials match the glory with the sacrifice. There was no glory in Vietnam. And there is no glory in that wall. But there is plenty of sacrifice.
JTT

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 09:49 am
@JPB,
Quote:
But there is plenty of sacrifice.

Indeed there was and still is, JPB.

Three to four million dead Vietnamese because of American meddling in the governance of a sovereign country.

Millions of people still suffering the affects of Agent Orange.

Quote:
For many years the Vietnamese have been pursuing diplomatic channels to get the US government to accept responsibility for the health and environmental consequences of toxic herbicides used by the US during the war in Viet Nam. However, these negotiations did not get very far. The US continues to insist that more scientific research is needed in order to address this issue, whereas the Vietnamese continue to stress the need for immediate humanitarian assistance for the victims. As a result, many in Vietnam become frustrated that nothing was being done to assist those whose health had been adversely impacted by Agent Orange, even though the US currently provides compensation for US veterans who became ill from their exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam.

http://www.ffrd.org/Lawsuit/Lawsuit.htm

I meant figuratively, in the sense of contrition.
JPB

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 11:34 am
@JTT,
You ask, "I wonder if there are any who really have gone to the wall. "

Quote:
I meant figuratively, in the sense of contrition.

I don't know where you're from, JTT, but I highly doubt that you were living in this country in the mid 60s - mid 70s. There was a revolution here over the very things you get all up in arms about. Tens of thousands of Americans left their families and their country to avoid participation in a war that they couldn't morally justify.

Get off your ******* soapbox. You don't know what you're talking about.
Diane

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:43 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

K, the thing is, the thing in my mind this morning watching the telly news, was the celebration by the media. They were not celebrating the return of the troops on their stage, that was just their backdrop. what they were celebrating was war and the implication of winning a war, coming home from winning a war, re-uniting families after winning a war. all as if the media won the war because they offered today's scene of troops coming home and hugs and kisses. No war was won, there is no functioning government in Iraq, there's not even electricity in Baghdad. Did the media today show us, the viewers the ones coming home in parts or in boxes, brain dead or just brain damaged and where will they be five years from now, in a shelter? on a street? Today the media did not celebrate the troops coming home, the media sold advertising to show the glory of coming home winners of war. winners, at least til they ship out to afghanistan or pakistan or iran or where-ever to keep on winning wars so the troops can come home celebrating winning another war. That's ok we can build more memorials, we can surround Washington D.C. with memorials.
I guess my door didn't get shut tight enough or I need a lorazepam or I need to not watch the news.
and yeah K, I was just a kid when the war ended too.
JTT

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:54 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
I don't know where you're from, JTT, but I highly doubt that you were living in this country in the mid 60s - mid 70s. There was a revolution here over the very things you get all up in arms about. Tens of thousands of Americans left their families and their country to avoid participation in a war that they couldn't morally justify.

Get off your ******* soapbox. You don't know what you're talking about.

That certainly was noble of those folks, JPB, of that there is no doubt, but it hasn't helped the Nicaraguans, the Iraqis, the Afghans, twice, the ... escape the predations of the USA and its foreign policy.

More soapboxes are just what is needed, not this pervasive climate of silence, this pervasive "We are the saviors of the oppressed, we are the greatest country ever, we do no wrong" crap.
JPB

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:09 pm
@JTT,
What's your goal, JTT? Folks on a soapbox usually have a goal. Sometimes they just like to hear themselves talk, but if you're going to spout off it's good to have a purpose.

Maybe I'm fortunate, but I don't know a single person who has ever said, "We are the saviors of the oppressed, we are the greatest country ever, we do no wrong". I've lived here my entire life and I've never heard that said once. In fact, most of my contemporaries are highly critical of our foreign policy.

What are you trying to achieve? Apologies? Retributions? Policy changes going forward? Apologies are words and don't undo anything. Nor do they bring back those who died or suffer with survival. Retributions don't accomplish that either and you'll have to ask the Chinese to pay them - we're broke. Policy changes will come soon enough. We can only guess what the future holds but I don't see us coming to the "rescue" (invited or not) in the future.
JTT

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:39 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
What's your goal, JTT? Folks on a soapbox usually have a goal. Sometimes they just like to hear themselves talk, but if you're going to spout off it's good to have a purpose.

1) Justice for those that have been egregiously wronged.

2) The hope that the American people will stand up, not 30,000 brave souls heading off to another country, but enough, at home, saying this rush to war --and this should be pretty apparent to you and all listening, JPB, you're smack dab in the middle of two more -- is so wrong.

We can work things out without 200 + thousand dying, millions suffering enormous enormous grief -- not to belittle the grief of those of 9-11, but the volume pales compared to what the Iraqis and Afghans have suffered.

Quote:
Maybe I'm fortunate, but I don't know a single person who has ever said, "We are the saviors of the oppressed, we are the greatest country ever, we do no wrong". I've lived here my entire life and I've never heard that said once. In fact, most of my contemporaries are highly critical of our foreign policy.

That's a paraphrase. That same message comes across every day, in every speech that comes from pretty much any person on TV.

Quote:
What are you trying to achieve? Apologies? Retributions? Policy changes going forward? Apologies are words and don't undo anything. Nor do they bring back those who died or suffer with survival. Retributions don't accomplish that either and you'll have to ask the Chinese to pay them - we're broke. Policy changes will come soon enough. We can only guess what the future holds but I don't see us coming to the "rescue" (invited or not) in the future.

Those things I set out above would be nice. Apologies, yes, absolutely. The likelihood of an Iraq or a Nicaragua happening again would be lessened by orders of magnitude.

The World Court has said, "Pay Nicaragua" so yes, reparations would be in order and eminently fair for a large number of countries, Cuba, for example.

And while we're on the topic, Vietnam. If y'all can pay for more bombs than were dropped during WWII, [I believe I have that correct], you can come up with a few dollars for those suffering from Agent Orange.

Until the average citizen finds out the true history of US foreign policy, there will be no policy changes. Most Americans still probably operate under the
mistaken assumption that Iraq and Afghanistan were justifiable incursions.

Why on earth would a people that make such extraordinary claims to be a rule of law country let a Reagan and a Bush administration get away with so much illegal activity?

Diane

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:46 pm
@Diane,
My previous post quoted Dys' entire post. I wanted to quote his last sentence:
Quote:
... and yeah K, I was just a kid when the war ended too.

It reminded me of Kurt Vonnegut's writings--here are a couple of quotes that apply to Dys' thread:
Quote:
I do not say that children at war do not die like men, if they have to

die. To their everlasting honor and our everlasting shame, they do die

like men, thus making possible the manly jubilation of patriotic

holidays. But they are murdered children all same.

Quote:
Perhaps, when we remember wars, we should take off our clothes and

paint ourselves blue and go on all fours all day long and grunt like

pigs. That would surely be more appropriate than noble oratory and

shows of flags and well-oiled guns.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:05 pm
@JTT,
JTT, I have watched you post your vitriol for quite some time now.

what country do you live in that has such a pristine record on foreign policy that you can browbeat us for the actions of ours?

I think it is time you showed your hand and told us how your country is so much better than the rest.

seriously...
roger

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:14 pm
@Rockhead,
I bet there is a darn good reason we don't know where he's from.
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:18 pm
@roger,
i always got the impression he/she was an american

i tried to look it up on a search engine but no luck Wink
JTT

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:20 pm
@Rockhead,
You mistake vitriol for facts, Rocky. You have to deal with the facts. It matters zero where I'm from. Why have you waited so long to inquire about the facts surrounding these important issues?

What matters is what the USA has done to the PEOPLE of Iraq, Afghanistan, Nicaragua, Cuba, Vietnam, Bolivia, The Philippines, Korea, Chile, Angola, Iran, ... .
dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:22 pm
@djjd62,
damn, and all this time I've assumed he was from california.
JTT

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:23 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I bet there is a darn good reason we don't know where he's from.

Your overwhelming concern for the vast number of slaughtered innocents is duly noted, Roger.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 04:25 pm
@djjd62,
I figure canadian. But, hey, dunno.