a résumé red flag

fansy

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:30 pm
Quote:
The first challenge for the companies that want to hire the best young workers is getting them in the door. They are in high demand—the baby boomers are retiring, and many Gen X workers are opting out of long hours—and they have high expectations for personal growth, even in entry-level jobs. More than half of Generation Y’s new graduates move back to their parents’ homes after collecting their degrees, and that cushion of support gives them the time to pick the job they really want. Taking time off to travel used to be a résumé red flag; today it’s a learning experience. And entrepreneurship now functions as a safety net for this generation. They grew up on the Internet, and they know how to launch a viable online business. Facebook, for example, began in a college dorm room.

Can you give me a standard definition of "a resume red flag"? I failed to find one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 776 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:42 pm
@fansy,
A reason not to hire them. Or, a reason to look for other candidates as their work ethic may be in question due to the desire to travel before getting a job and experience.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:50 pm
For something to raise a 'red flag" is an idiom that means unfavorably noticed.

For example, making late payments on your credit cards would be a red flag if you were applying for a loan. Bank officials would notice and perhaps deny the loan.

If a person put on their resume that they took time out to travel, it used to be considered a red flag, but it is not now.

Perhaps traveling after gradulation used to be thought as self-indulgent or frivolous, but now is seen as building experiences.

0 Replies