Demographic

fansy

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:02 pm
Quote:
These days, the “hobby” formerly known as a vice is more glamorous than ever. College students are the prize demographic for arresting cable-TV poker competitions and glittery betting websites.

What is the parts of speech of the word "demographic" as used in the combination of "prize demographic"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 725 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:56 pm
means:

college students / are / the targeted group
fansy

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:15 pm
@PUNKEY,
I mean is demographic used as a post-modifier to modify "prize" in the phraze "prize demographic," if so, "demographic" is used as a noun; but if "prize" is used jointly with "demographic," then "demographic" might be considered to be a noun. Am I right?
EmperorNero

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:38 pm
@fansy,
fansy wrote:

I mean is demographic used as a post-modifier to modify "prize" in the phraze "prize demographic," if so, "demographic" is used as a noun; but if "prize" is used jointly with "demographic," then "demographic" might be considered to be a noun. Am I right?

I think "prize demographic" is another term for "target audience":
College students are the target audience for cable-TV poker competitions.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 11:02 pm
demographic is a noun here--it means a population with specific characteristics. EE.g., radio demographics are under 18, men 18-25, women 18-25, males 25-50, women 25-50, 50+, and so on. It's probably short for "demographic group". 18-24s are a demographich that advertisers and entertainment industries love because they have a lot of discretionary income and they're likely to spend it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:12 am
college students / are / best target

best = prize = adj.
target = demographic = predicate noun
0 Replies