Taliban ordered young couple stoned to death

sumac

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:28 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/world/asia/17stoning.html?nl=&emc=aua1

"August 16, 2010

Afghan Couple Stoned to Death on Taliban Orders

By ROD NORDLAND

KABUL, Afghanistan — The Taliban on Sunday ordered their first public executions by stoning since their fall from power nine years ago, killing a young couple who had unsuccessfully tried to elope, according to Afghan officials and an eyewitness.

The punishment was carried out by hundreds of the victims’ neighbors and even their family members in a village in northern Kunduz Province, according to Nadir Khan, 40, a local farmer and Taliban sympathizer, who was interviewed by telephone.

As a Taliban mullah prepared to read the judgment of a religious “court,” Mr. Khan said the lovers, a 25-year-old man named Khayyam and a 19-year-old woman named Siddiqa, defiantly confessed in public to their relationship.

“They said, ‘We love each other no matter what happens,’ ” Mr. Khan said."

Read more at the NYTimes URL.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,630 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:42 pm
@sumac,
Ahhh, religion. What would we do without it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:36 am
@sumac,
This is troubling to me. Makes me want to root on our troops and Obama

Quote:
And less than a week earlier, the national Ulema Council brought together 350 religious scholars in a meeting with government religious officials, who issued a joint statement on Aug. 10 calling for more punishment under Shariah law, apparently referring to stoning, amputations and lashings.

Failure to carry out such “Islamic provisions,” the council statement said, was hindering the peace process and encouraging crime.

The controversy could have implications for efforts by Afghan officials to reconcile with Taliban leaders and draw them into power-sharing talks.
sumac

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:17 pm
@panzade,
It is very troubling to me. I hope that we don't forget what the Taliban did not so many years ago. They are a disaster for women, witness the Time Magazine cover of a young woman with her nose cut off.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:36 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

This is troubling to me. Makes me want to root on our troops and Obama

Quote:
And less than a week earlier, the national Ulema Council brought together 350 religious scholars in a meeting with government religious officials, who issued a joint statement on Aug. 10 calling for more punishment under Shariah law, apparently referring to stoning, amputations and lashings.

Do you still have a question?
panzade

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:20 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Do you still have a question?

I wasn't aware I ever had one.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:09 pm
@panzade,
And, so you didn't
panzade