What amazes you about your bodily functions?

cavfancier

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:50 am
Well, getting back on topic, while not a bodily function of mine, I've always been fascinated with lactation, and if one could gather enough human mother's milk to make a nice soft cheese. Any insights? Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:50 am
There's actually few friends that I still have since I was in my teens.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:52 am
cavfancier wrote:
Well, getting back on topic, while not a bodily function of mine, I've always been fascinated with lactation, and if one could gather enough human mother's milk to make a nice soft cheese. Any insights? Laughing

You're too much Cav, LOL!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:01 am
cavfancier wrote:

Laughing Imagine that? Human cheese! I suppose that, if you employed about five women to give you their milk over a period of time, you'd be able to make it... what a speciality that would be!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:06 am
Sure, why not? We really weren't born to drink cow's milk, but we do, and eat a lot of cow cheese. I say it's high time we lobby to make human cheese.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:17 am
cavfancier wrote:
Sure, why not? We really weren't born to drink cow's milk, but we do, and eat a lot of cow cheese. I say it's high time we lobby to make human cheese.

What's the difference anyway, between getting it from a cow and getting it from humans?

Moreover, we would see an increase in teenagers wanting to work in/learn more about the dairy Smile

We will have to start up a website: voiceofthecommonmanlobbyoncheese.com.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:21 am
Heh heh, good point about the teens there, drom. The real difference between getting it from a cow and getting it from a human is....have you noticed how much larger cows are than humans?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:24 am
True... unless you made Genetically Modified Breasts, and then the whole ball game changes. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:56 am
I am sure somebody has done it!

You wouldn't need much to make a small cheese....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:00 am
dlowan wrote:
I am sure somebody has done it!

You wouldn't need much to make a small cheese....

When it comes to even the most bizarre thing in the world, someone seems to have done it...

Doing it, one would never need fear starvation... interesting!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:04 am
One debate appropriate to this thread might be: "Bilious vomiting, a bad thing, or just making room for more beer?" Just thinking of my old friend again. Funny thing was, he was pursuing a career in politics. He would have probably fit right in. Confused
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:12 am
dlowan- You know you're in a bad motel if you call the front desk and say " I gotta leak in the sink" and the guy says "go ahead."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 07:14 am
Shocked
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:48 am
"A fair wage for our milk sourcers would be something like US$20 per hour.
Assuming a morning milking and an evening milking, this leads to a cost of
about $40 per woman-day. One lactating woman can produce, on average, 2-3
pounds of milk per day. It takes about 10 pounds of milk to make 1 pound
of cheese. So we would require around 4 woman-days of milk to produce 1
pound of cheese, at a cost of about $160. And this is only one of the
costs involved in producing the cheese: to pay other expenses (shipping
costs, salaries for other employees, etc.) we'd need to sell the cheese
for nearly $200 per pound, which would greatly reduce its target audience.
To get near a practical price (~$25 per pound) we'd have to pay our
sourcers only $5 per day, far less than the value of their labor."
0 Replies

TetsuoDowntime

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:38 am
It amazes me how much our bodies can do all by themselves. We don't even have to think about moving a limb, it just can. Also, the capacity for pain most bodies can take while under stress amazes me. I heard about this guy that was swimming in the olympics and he was having a hard time breathing, but he swam his race anyways. Right before the last stretch, he burst a lung. He still swam as hard as he could, and was rushed into an ambulance as soon as he was done.

He came in second.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 01:09 pm
dyslexia wrote:
"A fair wage for our milk sourcers would be something like US$20 per hour.
Assuming a morning milking and an evening milking, this leads to a cost of
about $40 per woman-day. One lactating woman can produce, on average, 2-3
pounds of milk per day. It takes about 10 pounds of milk to make 1 pound
of cheese. So we would require around 4 woman-days of milk to produce 1
pound of cheese, at a cost of about $160. And this is only one of the
costs involved in producing the cheese: to pay other expenses (shipping
costs, salaries for other employees, etc.) we'd need to sell the cheese
for nearly $200 per pound, which would greatly reduce its target audience.
To get near a practical price (~$25 per pound) we'd have to pay our
sourcers only $5 per day, far less than the value of their labor."

Did you make this study, Dys, or did someone else? Either way, what one can find out never ceases to amaze me. Who would have thought there's a "So you're thinking of making money out of lactating women: think again" studies.

Either way, there goes another one of my Get Rich Quick schemes, although I reserve the right to use lactation for my own amusement and/or nourishment. Laughing
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:35 pm
How did I miss this thread????

Quote:
Well, getting back on topic, while not a bodily function of mine, I've always been fascinated with lactation, and if one could gather enough human mother's milk to make a nice soft cheese. Any insights?

A couple of years ago I worked in a hotel. We had a couple check in with a wee babe. She was breastfeeding and asked us to store her breast milk in one of our kitchen fridges. (The rooms mini-bar fridge was fully stocked - no room for extras)
As fate would have it, another guest checked in and asked for a jug of milk, well you guessed it...
The roomservice guy delivered the babes dinner. The guest came down later that evening and complemented on the wonderful milk we serve in Canada. He asked if he could have the name of our supplier. Embarrassed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:43 pm
Dys, interesting. And what would you call the cheese made from breast milk?

oh my!! Ceili that's amazing.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:56 pm
Ceili wrote:
How did I miss this thread????

Quote:
Well, getting back on topic, while not a bodily function of mine, I've always been fascinated with lactation, and if one could gather enough human mother's milk to make a nice soft cheese. Any insights?

A couple of years ago I worked in a hotel. We had a couple check in with a wee babe. She was breastfeeding and asked us to store her breast milk in one of our kitchen fridges. (The rooms mini-bar fridge was fully stocked - no room for extras)
As fate would have it, another guest checked in and asked for a jug of milk, well you guessed it...
The roomservice guy delivered the babes dinner. The guest came down later that evening and complemented on the wonderful milk we serve in Canada. He asked if he could have the name of our supplier. Embarrassed

LMAO! I can't believe that! Did you actually tell him the supplier? Laughing

Hmm... what to call this cheese? 'The breast for everyone?'
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:06 pm
Chi Chi Whiz
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 04:04:09