cowbell?

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:14 am
What does "cowbell" mean here?

Context:
Guess what? I've got a fever, and the only
prescription is more cowbell!!"

TIA

PS:
right, and they have their reasons. but the point is that mods are going out of their way to protect him, and then he attempts to flame people. both parties are wrong

What does "go out of their way" mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,816 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:14 am
Oristar, I've never heard that expression used in that context, and the dictionary is no help. I'll be interested to see what the answer is.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:30 am
taking a guess here but "having a fever" could be "feeling lusty" and cowbell or cowbelle would refer to a woman as in cowboy vs cowbelle.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:38 am
ORISTAR
If you go out of your way to do something for someone, you are taking extra care and putting in special effort.

e.g.
She was very rude even though I'd gone out of my way to be friendly to her.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:25 pm
Ok, I googled the whole cowbell sentence and this is the site I came up with.
Oristar, If this is where you got this particular little ditty...........You must have incredibly interesting reading habits.
http://www.geekspeakweekly.com/cowbell/
Quote:
I've got a fever, and the only
prescription is more cowbell!!"

This is a silly, ludicrous statement, a wee bit insane... it's a humourous look at the beauty, that is, the cowbell. Many great songs feature the cowbell's clunk, clunk, clunk as melodic icing and this site contends a mediocre songs will attain nirvana with a a touch of cowbell frosting.
This site was built in mock homage to this often overlooked musical instrument. Enjoy!

To: Go out of the way - Oristar, if I'm going home, driving or walking, and I say I'll bring you home first, and you live in the opposite direction, I'm going out of my normal routine, not taking the shortest path - as the crow flies, I'm doing you a favour, I'm helping you out.
As Clary points out, it can be used to describe a myriad of situations.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 05:49 am
Thanks Ceili. I've gotten what "Go out of the way " means. Smile Regarding "cowbell", I didn't get it very well. Hmmm... maybe I can try to contact the "writer"?
Also thank Clary and others.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:08 pm
Oristar, If you got a fever, you need an asprin but here the 'medicine' is a cowbell? You're not really supposed to understand the cowbell. It's meant to be sarcastic and silly.
A cowbell has only one note (musically) clunk, that's it. You don't need a whole lot of talent to play the cowbell. Just the ability to keep the beat.
Hope I clarified it a little.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:01 pm
Here are some definitions. You can figure it out. I can't make head nor tail of it! Laughing

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cowbell&f=1
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 11:58 pm
Smile Hi all, I've got the reply from the "writer":

Quote:
a cowbell is just a big bell that cows wear on farms. rock drummers also use it as a part of thier drums sometimes, but that is not often and a lot of people think it sounds silly. that quote is from a very famous comedy show here called "saturday night live". they do short plays about various things. it has been on tv for about 30 years now and many famous actors got their start there. famous people such as eddie murphy, billie crystal, steve martin, mike meyers, and many others all got their start there. i don't know if you have heard of them but they are all very very famous here (my fiancee had only heard of eddie murphy). it is actually filmed in new york.

in the play where that quote is from there is a band in a studio recording thier album with a producer that is supposed to be very famous and good. the band has all the usual members for a rock band; drummer, singer, guitar player, and bass player. the only difference is that instead of the drummer playing the cowbell, they have an extra member that plays only the cowbell. so they start recording thier song and they finish and the producer comes out and he says " guys, this is really good stuff". and they are all in awe because this producer is so famous. the singer asks if they could do anything to make it better, and he says "yes, i could have used a little more cowbell". so he goes back in and they play and that cowbell player is really getting into it. he is hitting it so hard and moving all arround. suddenly the singer stops and the producer comes out again and asks what the problem is. the rest of the band says there is too much cowbell and it is distracting them and they start arguing. then the producer suddenly yells out "guess what? i've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

i dunno why but i have always found that very very funny. i think you would just have to see it to understand. lots of people on that site have famous quotes and things in thier sigs, so i thought i would just put some silly quote that would make no sense to most people and i remembered that and put it in

so there is your looooong explination of what it is. if you wanna see it for yourself i believe you can find it on kazaa named " SNL blue oyster cult"
0 Replies