Does the English language hurt? I need your help

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:09 pm
Undoubtedly, cultural tradition varies from nation to nation.

I got an impression in American forums that many members from America, Britain, Canada, Australia and some other countries would show their photos in their posts free of care. But in China the situation was quite different, most of netizens there would usually not be willing to show their pics.

No more than two days ago I was troubled by the photo thing and I need your help to ease my anxiety:

I have been on pretty good terms with a girl in a famous professional website in China (who's a doctor and ex-mod of the site and we help eath other in improving our knowledge on natural and social sicence) until now.

What happened was that when she asked me to post my photo, I replied "honey, please show me yours first;" and she said, "well, it will cost you an arm and a leg."

Reading that, I was hurt and shot back: "The expression is stupid and insane, but it is not your fault. You've found the idiom in your Chinese-English dictionary and used it, haven't you?"

And she was hurt, too, demanding an immediate apology from me, and swore that she would never talk to me again.

I told her that before she made a final decision whether she would give me an explanation.

She explained that the idiom "an arm and a leg" just meant "a huge cost", no harm at all.

But my intuition was really injured by the usage. I insisted that the English idiom was stupid and could not be used that way.

Huh, who in the world would cost an arm and a leg for your photo? I felt that she was wicked and her soul was most likely poisoned by dirty thinkings.

Well guys, please tell me if the idiom can be used that way? If you want someone to show you her photo, and she replies with "it will cost you an arm and a leg", will you be hurt? Or have I overacted?

Native English speakers are especially appreciated here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 785 • Replies: 8
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:14 pm
@oristarA,
These idioms are really meant to be humorous. In a civilized society a verbal demand of cruelty is meant as a joke because no one does that any more except in China where it could still be still done.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:54 pm
It is quite idiomatic and you are most likely over-reacting.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:37 pm
"It will cost you an arm and a leg" is a very common response to someone asking for something.

She was joking and you were wrong to shame her for using that expression that fit the situation perfectly.

Apologize for acting so superior.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:38 pm
@oristarA,
She was accurate and correct in her definition of what it means:
i.e., it is expensive.

U need to be careful of how u use the words "stupid" or "insane"
because people can get mad at u,
if thay believe that u are attacking them, insulting them directly or indirectly.

U can lose a friend.

DIPLOMACY

David
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:23 pm
Code: Or have I overacted?

You have overreacted.

Quote:
I felt that she was wicked and her soul was most likely poisoned by dirty thinkings.

That makes this native speaker think that you are the insane one!

Quote:
And she was hurt, too, demanding an immediate apology from me, and swore that she would never talk to me again.

I am not surprised.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:41 pm
@oristarA,
I'm unclear on why your feelings were hurt. Did you think she meant that you would have to pay money to see her picture?
contrex

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 01:57 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I'm unclear on why your feelings were hurt. Did you think she meant that you would have to pay money to see her picture?

I think he thought either (i) that she really meant that he would need to pay for seeing the picture by having an arm and a leg amputated or (ii) that she was amused by the idea of his being thus mutilated. I think she might have been flirting with him. No more! You have pissed on your chips*, OristarA, as we say in England!

*"Fries" in LeftPondia

OristarA, I must say all that stuff about wickedness in the soul, etc, makes you sound a bit crazy.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 06:13 pm

All of the replies help.

Thank you guys.
0 Replies