Hazards: Salmonella Is Traced to Dry Pet Food

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:43 pm
Hazards: Salmonella Is Traced to Dry Pet Food
By RONI CARYN RABIN - New York Times
Published: August 9, 2010

Dozens of salmonella infections in toddlers have been traced to dry pet food, the first time human infections have been linked to dry dog and cat food, health officials say.

The infections occurred from January 2006 through October 2008 in 21 states. More than 23,000 tons of pet food were recalled, affecting 105 brands, and the manufacturing plant, in western Pennsylvania, was shut in 2008.

The link between salmonella and dry pet food was described by health officials from several states and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in a paper published Monday on the Web site of the journal Pediatrics. Officials referred to the factory only as “Plant X.” Altogether, 79 people were infected, including 32 children age 2 or younger.

Scientists traced the uncommon salmonella strain, called salmonella schwarzengrund, to bagged dry dog food. Many of the infections occurred in homes where pets were fed in the kitchen, and the scientists recommended that children younger than 5 not be allowed to touch or eat pet food or pet treats and be kept away from pet feeding areas.

“The most important thing a person can do is to wash hands right after handling pet food or treats or cleaning up after their pets,” said the paper’s lead author, Casey Barton Behravesh of the C.D.C. More guidelines are at www.cdc.gov/healthypets.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,534 • Replies: 16
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:35 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I caught my boy eating dry kibbles once or twiv=ce. I just made fun of him and that made him stop.
He said that it wasnt bad.

Course, I used to carry doggey biskits in my field pack and if I came on a nasty dog abiskit usually turned him right around. ANYWAY, I have often gotten the munchies and had eaten a biskit or two.

I ask for penance and absolution.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:45 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My tendency is to disregard blogs as credible information sources and the link for the CDC "not found"
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:54 pm
@dyslexia,
Here ya go, and they mention the cdc..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/health/research/10haza.html
Pronounce

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:08 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I've caught my toddler eating cat poop. Maybe that's better 'cause the salmonella was removed.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:25 pm
@ossobuco,
I assume with your experience and expertise reading medical reports you would pay some attention to detail. But like I already said I'm not inclined to give much attention to blogs even when their copied to the CDC. from another on-line blog called "pediatrics online" should you consider I give more credence to blogs I shall start immediately to read Huffington Post and McClatchy Press. In the meantime I shall continue to regard credibility as significant.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:41 pm
@dyslexia,
The official journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics is a blog?

I know you're knocking BBB about McClatchy, which I don't read, but don't equate me with HuffPo because I look at it.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:20 pm
@ossobuco,
the conclusion reached by the Journal of American Pediatrics is
Quote:
Conclusions Dry dog and cat foods manufactured at plant X were linked to human illness for a 3-year period. This outbreak highlights the importance of proper handling and storage of pet foods in the home to prevent human illness, especially among young children.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:15 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

My tendency is to disregard blogs as credible information sources and the link for the CDC "not found"

There is a stray period at the end of the link. Remove it and it works.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:23 pm
@dyslexia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_McClatchy_Company

Quote:
The McClatchy Company is a publicly traded American publishing company based in Sacramento, California. It operates 30 daily newspapers in 15 states and has an average weekday circulation of 2.2 million and Sunday circulation of 2.8 million.[2] In 2006, it purchased Knight Ridder, which at the time was the second-largest newspaper company in the United States (Gannett was and remains the largest). In addition to its daily newspapers, McClatchy also operates several websites and community papers.

Quote:
In 2008, McClatchy's bureau chief in Washington, D.C., John Walcott, was the first recipient of the I.F. Stone Medal for Journalistic Independence, awarded by the Nieman Foundation for Journalism.[6] In accepting the award, Walcott commented on McClatchy's reporting during the period preceding the Iraq War:

Why, in a nutshell, was our reporting different from so much other reporting? One important reason was that we sought out the dissidents, and we listened to them, instead of serving as stenographers to high-ranking [Bush administration] officials and Iraqi exiles.[6]

McClatchey journalists have also won dozens of Pulitzer prizes over many decades.

http://www.mcclatchy.com/2006/05/23/211/pulitzer-prizes.html

2009 - Breaking News Photography
The Miami Herald - Patrick Farrell
For Patrick Farrell's "provocative, impeccably composed images of despair after Hurricane Ike and other lethal storms caused a humanitarian disaster in Haiti."

2007 - Local Reporting
The Miami Herald - Debbie Cenziper
For "House of Lies," an investigative project that revealed how developers took millions of dollars in taxpayer money to build affordable housing for the poor but failed to deliver, leaving thousands without their promised homes.

2007 - Feature Photography
The Sacramento Bee - Renée C. Byer
For "A Mother's Journey," a four-part series documenting a mother and her son battling a rare childhood cancer.

2006 - Public Service Gold Medal
Sun Herald, Biloxi, Miss.
For coverage of Hurricane Katrina, in print and online.

2005 - Editorial Writing
The Sacramento Bee - Tom Philp
For "Hetch Hetchy Reclaimed," an ongoing series advocating for the restoration of the Hetch Hetchy Valley in Yosemite National Park, essentially returning a national treasure back to the country. In 1923, the Hetch Hetchy Valley was submerged under 300 feet of water when a dam was constructed to supply water to the San Francisco Bay Area.

2004 - Commentary
The Miami Herald - Leonard Pitts Jr.
"For his fresh, vibrant columns that spoke, with both passion and compassion, to ordinary people on often divisive issues."

2001 - Breaking News Reporting
The Miami Herald
"For its balanced and gripping on-the-scene coverage of the pre-dawn raid by federal agents that took the Cuban boy Elián Gonzalez from his Miami relatives and reunited him with his Cuban father."

2000 - Editorial Cartooning
Lexington Herald-Leader - Joel Pett

1999 - Investigative Reporting
The Miami Herald
"For its detailed reporting that revealed pervasive voter fraud in a city mayoral election, that was subsequently overturned."

1996 - Public Service Gold Medal
The News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C. - Melanie Sill, Pat Stith and Joby Warrick
For "Boss Hog: North Carolina's Pork Revolution," a five-part series on the environmental and health risks of the waste-disposal systems used in North Carolina's growing hog industry.

1996 - Editorial Cartooning
The Miami Herald - Jim Morin

1993 - Public Service Gold Medal
The Miami Herald
"For coverage that not only helped readers cope with Hurricane Andrew's devastation but also showed how lax zoning, inspection and building codes had contributed to the destruction."

1993 - Commentary
The Miami Herald - Liz Balmaseda
"For her commentary from Haiti about deteriorating political and social conditions and her columns about Cuban-Americans in Miami."

1992 - Public Service Gold Medal
The Sacramento Bee - Tom Knudson
"Majesty and Tragedy: The Sierra in Peril" examined environmental threats and damage to the Sierra Nevada in California. The five-day report led to more cooperation among the many agencies responsible for protecting the mountain range.

1992 - Beat Reporting
The Sacramento Bee - Deborah Blum
"The Monkey Wars" was a four-day series that explored the complex ethical and moral questions surrounding primate research.

1992 - National Reporting
The Kansas City Star - Jeff Taylor and Mike McGraw
"For their critical examination of the U.S. Department of Agriculture."

1992 - Editorial Writing
Lexington Herald-Leader - Maria Henson
"For her editorials about battered women in Kentucky, which focused statewide attention on the problem and prompted significant reforms."

1991 - Spot News Reporting
The Miami Herald
"For stories profiling a local cult leader, his followers, and their links to several area murders."

1989 - Public Service Gold Medal
Anchorage Daily News
"A People in Peril" documented the high incidence of alcoholism and suicide among native Alaskans and focused attention on their despair, leading to various reforms.

1989 - Criticism
The News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C. - Michael Skube
Skube, the book editor, was honored for his Sunday columns about books and other literary topics.

1988 - Public Service Gold Medal
The Charlotte Observer
"For revealing misuse of funds by the PTL television ministry through persistent coverage conducted in the face of a massive campaign by PTL to discredit the newspaper."

1988 - Editorial Cartooning
The Charlotte Observer - Doug Marlette

1988 - Feature Photography
The Miami Herald - Michel duCille
"For photographs portraying the decay and subsequent rehabilitation of a housing project overrun by the drug crack."

1988 - Commentary
The Miami Herald - Dave Barry
"For his consistently effective use of humor as a device for presenting fresh insights into serious concerns."

1987 - National Reporting
The Miami Herald
"For its exclusive reporting and persistent coverage of the U.S.-Iran-Contra connection."

1986 - Investigative Reporting
Lexington Herald-Leader - Jeffrey A. Marx and Michael M. York
"For their series 'Playing Above the Rules,' which exposed cash payoffs to University of Kentucky basketball players in violation of NCAA regulations and led to significant reforms."

1986 - Spot News Photography
The Miami Herald - Carol Guzy and Michel duCille
"For their photographs of the devastation caused by the eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano in Colombia."

1986 - General News Reporting
The Miami Herald - Edna Buchanan
"For her versatile and consistently excellent police beat reporting."

1985 - Public Service Gold Medal
Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Mark J. Thompson
For reporting that revealed that nearly "250 U.S. servicemen had lost their lives as a result of a design problem in helicopters built by Bell Helicopter - a revelation which ultimately led the Army to ground almost 600 Huey helicopters pending their modification."

1985 - Specialized Reporting
The Telegraph, Macon, Ga. - Randall Savage and Jackie Crosby
"For their in-depth examination of academics and athletics at the University of Georgia and the Georgia Institute of Technology."

1983 - Editorial Writing
The Miami Herald
"For its campaign against the detention of illegal Haitian immigrants by federal officials."

1983 - Commentary
The News & Observer, Raleigh, NC - Claude Sitton
Sitton, editor of the newspaper, was honored for a series of columns, including pieces on civil rights, public education and North Carolina Sen. Jesse Helms.

1982 - National Reporting
The Kansas City Star - Rick Atkinson
For the uniform excellence of his reporting and writing on stories of national import.

1982 - Local General or Spot News Reporting
The Kansas City Star
"For coverage of the Hyatt Regency Hotel disaster and identification of its causes."

1981 - Public Service Gold Medal
The Charlotte Observer
For its series on "Brown Lung: A Case of Deadly Neglect."

1981 - Spot News Photography
Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Larry C. Price
For Price's photos from Liberia.

1981 - International Reporting
The Miami Herald - Shirley Christian
For Christian's dispatches from Central America.

1980 - Feature Writing
The Miami Herald - Madeleine Blais
For "Zepp's Last Stand," a story about a self-declared pacifist and subsequently dishonorably discharged World War I veteran.

1976 - Public Service Gold Medal
Anchorage Daily News
For "Empire: The Alaska Teamsters Story," which disclosed the impact and influence of the Teamsters Union on Alaska's economy and politics.

1976 - Local General or Spot News Reporting
The Miami Herald - Gene Miller
"For his persistent and courageous reporting over eight and one-half years that led to the exoneration and release of two men who had twice been tried for murder and wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death in Florida."

1973 - National Reporting
Knight Newspapers Washington Bureau - Robert Boyd and Clark Hoyt
For their disclosure of Sen. Thomas Eagleton's history of psychiatric therapy, resulting in his withdrawal as the Democratic vice presidential nominee in 1972.

1968 - Editorial Cartooning
The Charlotte Observer - Eugene Gray Payne
For his editorial cartooning in 1967.

1967 - Local Investigative Specialized Reporting
The Miami Herald - Gene Miller
Miller's investigative reporting helped to free two persons wrongfully convicted of murder.

1955 - Public Service Gold Medal
Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
"For its complete news coverage and fearless editorial attack on widespread corruption in neighboring Phenix City, Ala., which were effective in destroying a corrupt and racket-ridden city government."

1954 - Local Reporting
The Kansas City Star - Alvin Scott McCoy
"For a series of exclusive stories which led to the resignation under fire of C. Wesley Roberts as Republican National Chairman."

1952 - Special Citation for News Coverage
The Kansas City Star
"For the news coverage of the great regional flood of 1951 in Kansas and Northwestern Missouri -- a distinguished example of editing and reporting that also gave the advance information that achieved the maximum of public protection."

1951 - Public Service Gold Medal
The Miami Herald
For crime reporting.

1944 - Editorial Writing
The Kansas City Star - Henry J. Haskell
For Haskell's editorials written in 1943.

1935 - Public Service Gold Medal
The Sacramento Bee
Associate Editor Arthur B. Waugh reported and wrote the award-winning series about political manipulation of the federal courts in western Nevada, including political machine influence in the appointment of two federal judges. It was the first time a West Coast newspaper had received the Pulitzer Prize for Meritorious Service.

1933 - Editorial Writing
The Kansas City Star
"For its series of editorials on national and international topics."

1931 - Reporting
The Kansas City Star - A. B. MacDonald
"For his work in connection with a murder in Amarillo, Texas."

1926 - Public Service Gold Medal
Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
"For the service which it rendered in its brave and energetic fight against the Ku Klux Klan."

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:24 pm
@dyslexia,
You tell me this when I gave you the link to the Journal of Pediatrics? (via NYT).

The mocking gets tired.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 09:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
ok fair enough, on the other hand the blog post by BBB is, at best, shoddy journalism. If you're interested I would be happy to parse that post word by word to make my point, if you're interested.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
As I've explained over the years why I often don't post a link URL for newspaper and magazine topics. I used to post the link, but stopped because it caused a serious problem. Articles are only visible in newspapers for one or two days. So many times, A2Kers would ask me how to find the link once it was no longer visible. I would spend hours hunting for them, often learning that they could only be found with difficulty in the archive. Many newspapers charge a fee for archived articles. So, I gave up and no longer post the link.

Many A2Kers told me they understood why I no longer post the links and agreed that it was a problem they had not realized.

BBB
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:52 pm
@dyslexia,
I posted shortly thereafter with a nytimes article which linked the journal of pediatrics, that, far as I read, supported her 'grab'.

Why are you chasing an elderly woman who had source(s) that interested her, that she thinks may interest others, and sometimes do?

You are chasing her take as shoddy.
We can decide that and agree, or look further, but BBB reaches to inform.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:00 am
@ossobuco,
Osso, you noticed?

BBB
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:03 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Sure.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:38 am