We can’t carry on as we are, just drifting along

fansy

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:23 am
Quote:
Sunday morning and the park is humming with activity; dads playing football with young sons, old ladies in Sunday best heading for Church and young girls giggling with schoolgirl friends. And here I am, aimlessly wandering along the leafy paths, unsure where they are heading, unsure where my life is heading—if I don’t know where I am going now then what about next week or next year?
We can’t carry on as we are, just drifting along,” Greg had said. “All relationships have to move forward.” Or finish is what he should have added but we were both too afraid to admit it. Why does it have to be like that though, I’m happy with the way things are and I don’t see a need to ruin it all by changing. I thought Greg felt that way too. I thought he understood my need for my own independence, my own space and my own life. Until last night that was, until he threatened to ruin it all by trying to push me into something I’m not sure I’m ready for, not after making that mistake before, before I even knew Greg. Our life, our relationship is in danger of falling apart, why is he risking it all by wanting more? More than I may be able to give him.

What sense is intended in "We can't carry on as we are, just drifting along"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 777 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JTT

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:35 am
@fansy,
“We can’t carry on as we are, just drifting along,” --> like two pieces of wood on a meandering stream. Instead of planning and making commitments, ie. marriage or moving in together.
fansy

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 07:01 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
1. to engage in; conduct
2. to go on (with); continue as before, esp. in the face of difficulties
3. INFORMAL to behave in a wild, extravagant, or childish way
4. INFORMAL to engage in an illicit love affair

The above are 4 definitions for the phrase "carry on", do you think definition 4 is the sense implied in my previous quotation?
JTT

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:29 pm
@fansy,
No, this meaning is #2, Fansy.

Here's #4 - He carried on an affair behind her back for over a year.

Here's #3 - Stop carrying on like you've been hurt by this.

Stop carrying on like that. You're acting just like a little girl.
0 Replies