Orthodontic work okay in pregnancy

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 01:51 pm
I am scheduled to get a new permanent retainer and I am 5 weeks pregnant. I am wondering if there is any risk to the fetus with the use of the UV light used to harden the glue on the retainer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,028 • Replies: 3
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 05:51 pm
@runninggal900,
X-rays during pregnancy is not advised, UV light might be the same. Discuss this question with your medical practitioner/physician and orthodontist before you start orthodontic treatment.
RStella

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 03:27 am
@CalamityJane,
There have not been any reported risks to a pregnancy as the result of placing or treating patients with orthodontic appliances like braces or a retainer. The concern comes in the beginning during the first trimester, x-rays should be avoided. Radiographs are of the treatment planning but with today's modern equipment risks are minimal. My advice would be to take extra precaution and stay away from UV light in your first trimester.
0 Replies

AndrewFerrol

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 11:48 pm
My sister have some emergency work done when she was pregnant. I think the biggest thing to watch out for is to avoid getting x-rays done. The work itself should be fine.
0 Replies