A woman unsatisfied must have luxuries, but a woman who loves a man would sleep on a board.

aidan

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 11:15 pm
@Pemerson,
Quote:
Remembering, once making love in a small woods, no board or sheet. When I went to work from there, someone told me I had a pine needle in my hair. Sure enough, pulled back into a pony tail with my brown hair, was a brown pine needle. Good memory, that.

I've always liked to walk in the woods and have always been drawn to other people who like to walk in the woods, so yeah...I have memories like that too.

Once though we were in a field of tall grass and it was very pleasant until a few hours later when the whole back of my body from my neck all the way down to my ankles got these little red bumps and started itching.

So I asked my roommate to look at them and she started laughing and said, 'What have you been doing- lying naked on a nest of chiggers?

And me being from the urban north and having only recently come down to go to university in the rural south, I had no idea what chiggers were.

I found out the hard way that they're these bugs that live in the grass - and they bit the hell out of me - all the way down my body.

I'm surprised Lady Chatterley never had to deal with chigger bites.
Or maybe D.H. Lawrence figured including such practical and unpleasant details would put other potential Lady Chatterleys off.

A board on the ground in the woods might alleviate the problem of chiggers.
talk72000

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 01:37 pm
@aidan,
You should walk along the Himalayas near Darjeeling. They have leaches that climb up your legs and suck your blood. They can enter all kinds of embarrassing places. The first clue you get is either an itch or a feeling of coldness on your legs or groin. If you check it is leach feasting on your blood. It is quite swollen too.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 02:24 pm
@aidan,
Oh, chiggers are ghastly little creatures. I would not even dream of lying on the bare ground here in TX. Even a few bites can drive you nuts, and not just an itch, it actually hurts. Wow, that would smart, all up your back.

But, you see, in New England there are those pine groves...

I just saw the movie, "I AM Love" and the madlyinlove couple climbed into a cave on a very high hill in Italy... Scheeese, anything could be hiding in there - but, she was a woman of a certain age, and he was her son's best friend. I think she would have been happy with a board.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 06:57 pm
@talk72000,
The way I see it is the woman who loves her man is happy and therefore doesn't need luxuries and the woman without love is never happy and is compensated with luxuries.
HexHammer

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 11:35 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

It was by D.H. Lawrence
He is very naive and simpleminded. It depends on how much material fixation the woman has.

Humans are capable of having and living by multiple contradicting values, such as we can go to war and kill people, while still being excelent normal people upon return.
HexHammer

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 10:39 am
@HexHammer,
Please allow me to elevate on my former statemen.

Indeed in very few cases an extreme fixation can indeed be overwritten by love as D.H. Lawrence states, but it's rare.
talk72000

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 04:26 pm
@Caroline,
Life is full of oddities. A woman may not be able to find dream mate so she puts up with what is available and if luxuries help then she doesn't mind. The same goes with a man. One can't wait forever for the dream person. Those movies are just fantasies.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 04:37 pm
@HexHammer,
At the time of D.H. Lawrence things were different so attitudes would be different. Women were probably more dependent as jobs that are less reliant on muscle strenth were not that prevalent.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 06:13 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

At the time of D.H. Lawrence things were different so attitudes would be different. Women were probably more dependent as jobs that are less reliant on muscle strenth were not that prevalent.
No, the oppotunism were greater. The love based fixation on materialism were about the same.
0 Replies