You Know that You Are Getting Older When..................

firefly

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:20 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
It is very disconcerting when I find that I have to shorten petite size slacks!

That's been happening to me too.

When I first asked for my senior discount in a store, they actually asked me for proof of age. Needless to say, I was delighted to be carded. Now, I don't even have to ask for the discount, no matter where I shop. One look at me, and they know.

A young man at the garden center was helping me to put some large heavy plants in my car. When I offered him a tip, he said, "No thanks, grandma, my pleasure". Grandma? That's what I look like to the world? Sad

I got a jolt when I realized I was easily old enough to be the mother of President Obama. Now even the President is starting to look like a kid to me.

I still am startled when someone takes a photo of me. Who is that old woman? I really can't see it as obviously when I look in a mirror.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:39 am
@Green Witch,
well thanks - now I'm depressed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:41 am
@firefly,
talk about my eyesight - I thought you quoted "shorten penis size " imagine my horror!
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:43 am
@Linkat,
And to boot it - the ad below was an old lady on the floor with an ad for lifeline or some such thing.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:29 pm
@Green Witch,
Some time ago I read about women get invisible when getting older. I could not really believe it.
As I travel a lot by public transportation I started to watch people more.
Many make themselves invisible of different reasons, introverts, shyness, books, problems but it happens in all age groups.
Of course we don´t get the attention as older of the same reason as when younger.
I think that a lot why we seem invisible is because we do not seek the eye contact with others. Some people - no matter what age - come into a train compartment saying hello and smile. That is enough. Others sit down look out the window and look at you and say something like "Nice weather to day" and all of a sudden you have a conversation.
Half the time travelling by train I get some contact with others. And I am not always the one beginning the conversation.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:39 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I got a jolt when I realized I was easily old enough to be the mother of President Obama. Now even the President is starting to look like a kid to me.

My son is a year OLDER than Obama. And I think that my son is still a kid!
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:40 pm
@saab,
I wonder about that - I don't take public transportation hardly ever now. But until several years ago that is pretty much how I got to work. For some reason people tend to talk to me - even if I am reading a book.

It doesn't matter the age or gender of the other person. For some reason I must have a look that says sure I'll speak to anyone.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:44 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat- Maybe people speak to us because we seem unthreatening, like a mother, or even grandmother.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:50 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I'm not that OLD! And it has pretty much always been this way since being in my young 20s.

But I think you may be right. It is the non-threatening maybe we just look like we are nice. Also when I was younger there was also the cute factor with the boys. But I had old men, old women, and almost everything in between.

The funny thing is the non-threatening - not that I would be physically threatening, but I've told quite a few obnoxious people off when taking the train - I am amazed that I've never been hit before.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
@Phoenix32890,
It is not because we seem untreatening - people have always talked to me.

When we seek contact to a stranger or a stranger to us it is the facial expression which makes us dare to start the contact. A certain livelyness, eyes that look at you with friendly curiousity as Linkat said - a person without knowing it has a radioation of " hey talk to me - I don´t mind"
During the ashclouds and no flights I was sitting in the train with all these stranded people. Three very serious buisiness men were discussing if to rent a car or buy a car as they had no time and no patience to wait three hours for changing trains.
I got so tired of this discussion I just said "Why don´t you hich-hike?" All of sudden the ice was brooken and we had a very nice trip the rest of the way.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 02:58 pm
Since I've been old enough to look adult, I've been asked for directions--in the street, on the subway (when I rode the subway), even in stores. Maybe I get asked because I "look like I know." I think this applies to looking older. People assume you know stuff.

Total strangers are now helping me. Across treacherous patches of snow, opening heavy doors, getting out of cabs. I've had several Noo Yawk cab drivers leap from the driver's seat to help me out of the car. I wish they wouldn't do this. I almost fainted from the shock.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:15 pm
@saab,
As women get older they become invisible to young men. Most women are used to getting some sort of sexual attention when they are young (some of it is wanted, much of it is not), but as women age they notice fewer (if any) men looking their way as if they are interested in actually making a connection. Sure, men will still ask how far it is to the next subway stop, but they don't follow it up with a suggestion that you trade phone numbers and meet for coffee after work. We are no longer fertile ground.
hingehead

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:34 pm
The second time I felt old was when someone pointed out that someone who was born the year I could first legally drink, could now legally drink. Fortunately that someone hasn't yet met the same criteria.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:35 pm
@Green Witch,
of course I'm looking at your eyes, did you want to look somewhere else?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:40 pm
@Intrepid,
My eye surgeon, the darling, looks about twelve to me. He's 45. I think he should be out playing basketball...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 05:42 pm
@Green Witch,
Hormones work in full speed from around 10 to 35.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 05:51 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I'm 5'3". Always was and still am (thankfully!) but I have always had to shorten petite slacks.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 05:53 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I'm glad my kids are still younger than the President. It's bad enough that Obama is so young!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:13 pm
@plainoldme,
Obama has some real bad advisors; at least your children has a couple who are better equipped to help "children."
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:57 pm
Thank god for men with edipus complexes.
0 Replies