You Know that You Are Getting Older When..................

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:48 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

speaking of rock and roll, mick jagger turned 67 yesterday

He's still a boy, to me. I will be 68 soon.
djjd62

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
i've got few years to go, only 48 this december
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:15 pm
@djjd62,
When you get older - forget about the things you cannot do now, but could 30 - 40 years ago - think about all the things you did not know and could not do 30 - 40 years ago and you can do now and know now.
Then you remain young inside.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:22 pm
Now I am not in the "young" crowd any longer, but I have the fortunate situation where I look significantly younger than I am. I try to hide how old I am - my kids on the other hand love to tell everyone my real age (bastards).

Any way, a few years ago, I was in the dentist chair (I've since changed dentists) - but it was in one of those places where are several dentists. This young man was clearly younger than me. Any way he said, that eventually my fillings would need to be replaced, not for a while - most likely when you are in your 40s. I smiled at him and said I am in my 40s. Red faced he really didn't have a response.
Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:24 pm
@saab,
I still haven't filled my eyeglass prescription I received over 6 months ago even though my eye doctor said it has nothing to do with age. I think he was being nice.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:26 pm
One of my favorites things to do (although there are fewer and fewer to do this to) is on a milestone anniversry at work (ie 20, 25, and even a 30 year) - I like to write - I've never done anything that long...except breathe. It makes me feel at least there are some old geezers still around.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 01:41 pm
@Linkat,
Last time I went to my dentist, who is at least 25 years younger than I am he said: "I really envy you your good teeth."
To which I said."The reason is I have a very good dentist"
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:13 pm
Oh, I'm fine with this 'getting old' thing except when I put on too much weight. Then, I feel old, look old. I solve that problem by keeping myself as trim as possible, my hair style youngish by telling my hair dressers, "Don't you dare make me look like an old lady!" I love clothes and can get depressed if I must buy larger sizes. So, I don't, I just lose that weight by stretching at the gym, working like a horse in my yard. I don't think I've ever grown out of being a kid.

Really can't come up with a particular time when I've felt old because of somethng someone said or did. Most are amazed by what I still do. Ah, age is all in your head.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:18 pm
@Pemerson,
To me, life speeds by whizzing like a bullet train. Part of me is still twenty seven.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:29 pm
Just before I turned 60 . . . which was a huge year in terms of changes that had nothing to do with age . . . a friend told me that when a friend of hers turned 50 she celebrated her birthday once a month, on the anniversary day, for a year.

I started doing that but half way through the year, I forgot!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:30 pm
@plainoldme,
; )
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:33 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
"Dad, did you know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"

That's not a joke - it happened to me when I was about 15 (1977ish) playing with my best mates older brother's record collection. His 12 year old cousin was looking at covers and actually asked 'Was Paul McCartney in a band before Wings?' That was the first time I felt old.

The latest thing to make me feel old is the realisation that Wings broke up in 1982 (nearly 30 years ago) so the number of people who even get the joke is diminishing rapidly.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:47 pm
Sometimes it gets to me when I realize that some of actors that I thought of as "the kids" are now themselves well into middle age. Damn, I remember when Ronnie (now Ron) Howard was an adorable, freckled faced kid. The actors that were my idols (Liz Taylor, Debbie Reynolds etc. ) are elderly women. For Pete's sake, I just saw a picture of Zsa Zsa Gabor, (who was a very glamorous lady in her day). She is really OLD.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:57 pm
This happened just yesterday and could apply to this question: My very young dentist approached the door of the room where I was stretched out in that chair and said, "Hello, young lady." I should have said, "Hello, old man."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:03 pm
Zsa Zsa fell and broke several bones. I took this snippet from a news article about her:
Zsa Zsda’s hubby Prince Frededric Von Anhalt told publcist John Blanchette that the 93-year-old Hungarian actress "was bleeding excessively" and not responding to surgery.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:17 pm
Quote:
Ah, age is all in your head.

I wish that was true, but it's not, and certainly not in physical sense. Society eventually sees you as an aging person and I think it starts around 45 with the big over the hill happening at 50. I think it's more true for women. The once flirtatious smile to get your way is met with skeptical looks, or suddenly young men come over to help you not because they think you are hot, but because they think you are frail and remind them of their mother. I think it's great to stay in the best shape you can, but aging happens no matter what we do. Gravity wins, our bodies stop regenerating our supple skin and bright hair. I think you have to embrace it with grace and not worry about keeping up with the young. We can deny the wrinkles and sagging in our head, but the world sees them with clear vision and treats us accordingly.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:23 pm
@Green Witch,
I agree with that.

But, the young don't get quite how fast **** flies. It takes a while to cotton on. We are all more alike than it seems by our skin.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 09:09 pm
I'm reminded just how old I am every Wednesday pub trivia night.

I can't answer any of the music questions - unless they throw in a classical music one.

aaarrrggghhh!!!!!!!!

I can't believe Mick Jagger is 67!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:42 am
When I was young, and saw tiny old people, I thought that they were so short because they did not have the vitamins that we did.
As an adolescent I was a shade under 5'4". Over the years, thanks to my lousy back, I can't even make it to 5'.

It is very disconcerting when I find that I have to shorten petite size slacks!
Intrepid

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 06:56 am
@Phoenix32890,
My wife said she started to feel old when her doctor was younger than her son.