Quote:
____________WARNING_____________
Contents may cause extreme enjoyment
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:02 pm
Cute, gravy!!

Good stuff, good stuff.

Everybody was sloshing glaze around in a panic on Thursday (last class) and our dear sweet instructor, bless her heart, tacked on another class (free!) tomorrow morning. So I still haven't gotten to the cookie jar. Now I am weighing whether MIL already has enough and I should give this to my dad & his wife instead. Decisions, decisions...

Point is, keep 'em coming! Very Happy
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:48 pm
And the decision was ??????????????????///
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 06:41 pm
Yes, yes....the decision was?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:44 pm
Funny, I just took a picture of it today! A couple of hours before you asked.

It was, unfortunately, a bust. As were several other pottery creations, some rather literally. I can't tell if it was my fault, the teacher's fault, or a combination thereof. For sure the teacher (the younger, more clueless of two) left my stuff in the kiln WAY too long (Like 5 times too long) and bad stuff happened. Things cracked, a few were utterly destroyed, glaze burned off in a weird way, etc. I'm not sure though if the cookie jar was in that batch or if I applied the wrong kind of underglaze. Underglazes are supposed to stay put, and this one... didn't.

Which is a long winded way of saying my lovely delicately decorated butterfly-and-floral cookie jar became a drippy Dali-esque mess. "Nonnie's Cookies" can be barely if drippily read. ("Nonnie" is what her grandchildren call my MIL.) The shape is nice though and it's vaguely interesting and she (MIL) responded very enthusiastically to the idea (I sent something else for Christmas, described the whole debacle) so I took a picture to send to her and see if she wants it after all.

Several other items were salvageable -- a round mirror frame with a nasty crack was wound with some wired ribbon that coordinated quite nicely and my mom is absolutely thrilled with it, and I think genuinely so. And the mirror with the weird burnt-off glaze actually was kind of interesting -- sort of sparkly and with strange bits of color you wouldn't expect. (Glazed in Hunter green and Pink Chiffon, which should be a glossy finish of variegated dark green to sage green, turned out to be a rough matte surface of light sage green with bits of darker green in the recessed areas that retained some gloss and little tiny bits of coral.)

ANYWAY. An interesting thing about pottery class is that you never quite know what you're going to get. Some happy surprises, some not.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 11:03 pm
But can we still have a cookie?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 12:07 am
Yes, please - one sample of each. :wink:
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:52 am
Why not take some photos of your works (or the works that you've described here) and upload them to a server and link them to here?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 08:59 am
Acquiunk wrote:
But can we still have a cookie?

Shocked This is from your mother -- "MAY we..." Laughing <jk>

(I'd like one too, please!)

http://allstar1.com/images-bb/cookies-new-lg.jpg
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:22 pm
Awww alright. May we have a cookie...please.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:36 pm
"Cookies, I said, sharp's the word!" is the kind echo from the Petty Officer on Duty.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 04:57 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Awww alright. May we have a cookie...please.

Just one? What about that peanut butter cookie right there in the middle?

Yummy, I found my favorite....
http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/russianteacakes.jpg
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:08 pm
Thank you
0 Replies