Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 05:01 pm
Which is better: a cold shower or a hot one?

I've read the former can be better for the skin and the environment.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,850 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 05:07 pm
@mister kitten,
My dermatologist said lukewarm, never never hot, especially very hot.

I've never obeyed.

There must be a poem about gathering rosebuds where you may. Hot water can be a pleasure.

Herrick, of course, but in another context.
Mame

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:05 pm
Don't worry if you don't understand Osso. Here she's got rosebuds, showers, and Herrick all in a short answer. Don't panic. It's okay to be confused. LOL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Mame acts like she doesn't understand me. Snort.

But wait, Mr. Kitten is young here. I think I read Herrick at his age.
djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:15 pm
@ossobuco,
i sort of do the sauna thing, start warm, get hotter and then cool down towards the end
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:26 pm
@djjd62,
Oddly, I used to design saunas, with little personal experience except for the right specifications. Thus my interest in what Tai Chi and the School Man are doing.

If I went into a sauna now, I'd flop out the door after x minutes, but, past that I like them and am interested in the pros and cons.

Pemerson

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:27 pm
@mister kitten,
Generally, I start out with very hot water in a shower but it's rather difficult to even think 'hot shower' now. Enjoy, enjoy the hot water whilst shampooing and washing every little place. Then, I stand under cold water for several seconds, gasp, gasp, gasp, and get out of there. Guess I like extremes. Seems I read somewhere some time ago that the cold water closes those pours opened by the hot water. Probably closes the brain, too.

When in my 40's we used to visit with a couple at their Canada (Aberdeen) cottage. Each place had an outdoor sauna at the water's edge. We'd sit in the sauna 'til about roasted, then run wildly and jump in the lake, screaming. This was a social thing, to be invited to the cottage of others. After the dip, though, you really should get beat with pine branches--never tried that, however.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:29 pm
@ossobuco,
i went to high school with three very beautiful girls of nordic origin (sweden i believe), they delighted in driving the boys wild with tales of winter saunas (they did have a sauna on their remote property) interspersed with naked romps in the snow
roger

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 07:39 pm
@djjd62,
Which is why I have problems with the idea of anybody wanting to invade Finland. They're nuts.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 08:32 pm
@djjd62,
I'm guessing that was their way of promoting cold showers?
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 03:25 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten wrote:

Which is better: a cold shower or a hot one?

I've read the former can be better for the skin and the environment.

Any thoughts?
The inunits who accompanied the poles expeditions back in the days, never got frostbite, because of their "temperd" system. If you regularly expose youself for extreme cold, you will develop better cirkulation out in the fingers, toes and nose.
Paul88z

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 03:31 am
@HexHammer,
I think it depends on the needs of our body. Sometimes you need warm not cold water and sometimes hot specially when you come out from a game or sport.
Pemerson

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 06:47 pm
@Paul88z,
Paul88z wrote:

I think it depends on the needs of our body. Sometimes you need warm not cold water and sometimes hot specially when you come out from a game or sport.

Really? Hot water after a game or sport? You'd probably colic
0 Replies