The Young Turks

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 04:25 pm
I am about to collapse the thread. Anybody who is interested in my intent with the TYT people will know to find them on facebook and youtube.

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 07:16 pm
Obviously our Australian friends are hypersensitive about racial issues, I think we should give them a little slack.

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 07:58 pm
@ebrown p,
yes, you'd think that were californians.
roger

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
You can collapse your own thread? Never tried it, so I guess so. Can't ignore yourself. . . .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:05 pm
@dyslexia,
Doesn't California have an Australian governor?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Limbaugh's a cuke; he's so bored, he's boring everybody else!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:11 pm
@ebrown p,
Yeah, but he sure don't sound like Crocodile Dundee!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:39 pm
@ebrown p,
Austrian.
dadpad

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 03:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Austrian.

No kangaroos in Austria.

....or California for that matter
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 04:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I am about to collapse the thread. Anybody who is interested in my intent with the TYT people will know to find them on facebook and youtube.

Surely not on the basis of anything that dadpad & I posted here, edgar?
I've seen far stronger comments from you on other A2K threads (which I've often supported) & no thread "collapse" was deemed to be necessary.

However, now that you've sort of declared this thread discussion to be over, I'd like to take the opportunity to get a few things off my chest, if that's OK.

Quote:
Obviously our Australian friends are hypersensitive about racial issues, I think we should give them a little slack.

You're quite wrong about this particular issue, ebrown p.
I am not going to dwell on the details any longer than necessary, but ..:
In regard to the original Young Turks comments on the KFC advertisement: Do you know anything at all about the "traditional rivalry" between the Australian & West Indian cricketers? (Do you know anything about cricket at all?) Are you aware that the West Indian cricketers (the "windies") are highly respected in Oz, in fact there's a great deal of admiration & affection towards them? Heck, I am no "cricket tragic", but even I know that!
It seems that the Young Turks are clueless about any of this & so are quite a few of the posters here.

If there is any "hypersensitivity" on my part it's as a result of being patronized by people such as you, who probably think that any humorous media material involving people of not-white skin must surely be racist. This might be the case in the US, for all I know, but can you comprehend that it might not always be the case, in every other country on the planet? Can you comprehend that all the people on the planet might not think exactly the same as you might?

Apart from that, I feel downright offended by your & other flippant comments about Australians & racism on this thread. I would be the first to admit that racism does in fact exist in Australia, as it does in the US & any number of other countries one could name. (check my posting history if you like. I am no supporter of racism, or any other form of discrimination, for that matter.) ... However, why it it so damn hard to comprehend that there just might be some element of truth in dadpad's or my assessment of the Young Turk's comments? Why are we flippantly patronized as Australians by you & others here? Did it ever occur to you that we might actually be on the same side on this issue?

You know what I miss most about the exodus of so many of the Philosphy Forum folk from A2K? For the first time I can remember there was more of an international perspective on so many world events. It was downright refreshing for a while.

0 Replies