in turn

fansy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 08:39 pm
Quote:
This pattern is indicative of the broader picture of global opinion in 2010. President Barack Obama remains popular in most parts of the world, although his job approval rating in the U.S. has declined sharply since he first took office.In turn, opinions of the U.S., which improved markedly in 2009 in response to Obama’s new presidency, also have remained far more positive than they were for much of George W. Bush’s tenure.

How is the phrase "in turn" used in the above context?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 667 • Replies: 5
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 11:30 pm
@fansy,

Perhaps "correspondingly" would have been a better choice.

"In turn" usually refers to a progression in time, an unfolding of events. An event taking place as a consequence of another event.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 11:31 pm
In this context, it could mean, "In addition" or "Additionally .... .

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 01:27 am
McT is right about its usual use. I don't think it's a particularly appropriate usage in your example. "On the other hand" or perhaps "In contrast" might have been better.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:30 am
I don't think that "on the other hand" or "in contrast" would be even approaching suitable here. You use them when there is a contrast or opposition. There is none here. The piece links two positive things external to the US: (1) continued popularity of Obama, and (2) a better opinion of the US now than when Bush was in charge. The piece appears to be suggest that (1) has led to, or is connected with (2). Thus "in turn" would seem to be entirely appropriate.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:40 am
yeah, contrex, you're probably right. since i live in the U.S., I'd first read that as a contrast with the rest of the world, but I guess it isn't really what the example meant.
0 Replies