chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 02:59 pm
A couple of people in my neighborhood own those (what I consider dumb) Smart Cars.

The other week, there were 2 of them parked on my street, a block or 2 apart, both white with blue trim. Then I saw another one a few blocks away, a couple of days later.

I thought it was some kind of invasion.

No, I realize now, from seeing an ad in a community paper, it's one of the car2go cars.

Here's the link...

http://www.car2go.com/austin/en/

You find an available car using your mobile device and book it. You get in and get charged .35 a minute for driving it. You can leave it in any legal parking spot. No need to gas up.

hmm..a 20 minute use would be $7 bucks.

Maybe a good idea if you are in downtown.

I like how the interactive map shows what cars are available at the moment.

Right now, at about 4pm there's only a very few of the cars in use in downtown.

I'm going to check at 5 'oclock to see how many are toodling around.

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:15 pm
We've had something like that for a while (2 years?) here, called Zipcar.
chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:18 pm
yeah, I remember hearing about zipcar.

I guess it didn't work out?

I can't imagine how they will make any money, what with the cost of the car, insurance, gas, upkeep and keeping it clean.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:18 pm
@jespah,
Zipcars and Hertz Connect here in NYC. If I had a place to drive them, I would consider them quite a deal. Quite inexpensive. Much cheaper and less stressful then out and out owning a car here in NYC.
jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:20 pm
@chai2,
Oh, they worked out. They filed for a $75 mil IPO last month.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0127443520100601
chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:32 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Oh, they worked out. They filed for a $75 mil IPO last month.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0127443520100601

They've been operating for a decade and have posted a loss every year?

Their net loss recently widened by a couple of million $$$'s?

I guess I don't understand business then.

hmmmm....zip cars fees are less than car2go, like 1/2.

I can see where in this area it would be interesting to college students.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:38 pm
There are a few businesses like this in Toronto. ZipCar has a good-sized presence. I think it's a great idea for people who only need to use a car a few times a month or year. A lot cheaper than renting a car for a day/weekend if you only need it for a couple of hours for groceries or something similar.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Zipcars and Hertz Connect here in NYC. If I had a place to drive them, I would consider them quite a deal. Quite inexpensive. Much cheaper and less stressful then out and out owning a car here in NYC.

oh yeah, no way could you afford to own a car there.

I could see being able to rent a compact car for an hour or 2 occassionally would be really helpful, to carry something big home.

But those smart cars won't hold more than a can of peas.

On a (to me anyway) related idea....

This twenty-something I work with just moved into a new apartment complex. It's a really big area, with jogging trails, gyms, etc.

They have their own downtown flier that residents can take on Friday and Saturday night to go downtown, like at 10pm, and it returns everyone at 2 or 3am.

That's good if you're planning on getting gassed.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:41 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
They have their own downtown flier that residents can take on Friday and Saturday night to go downtown, like at 10pm, and it returns everyone at 2 or 3am.

Cool. That does sound like a convenient service for areas that don't have a reliable public transportation system.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:42 pm
@chai2,
With the local zipcar plan, you are responsible for tanking up - and cleaning the interior car if you mess it up. You'll get charged for the clean-up fees. If you pick up a dirty car, you can take it to a car wash, leave the receipt inside - and get credited for the expense.

There is a wide range of size of vehicles available locally. They place the different sizes where they are used most. If you're a member, in exchange for letting them use your driveway, you can get a use credit.
chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:46 pm
@ehBeth,
ah, that's why car2go costs more.

you don't have to put in gas.

I'm going to go through downtown on the way home, and see how many are moving.

god, my life is exciting.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:54 pm
@chai2,
Aren't you home yet? how many how many how many?
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:09 pm
How do the practicalities work, like where are the keys? Do you sign a mini-contract online? Pay ahead? But what if you're in it for less or more time than you bargained for? What if it breaks down while you're in it, or gets stolen or smacked into while you're in a store?
roger

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
That sounds like the old shuttle bus from Ft. Gordon to Augusta, GA.

Our charming little sobriquet for this vehicle was "The Vomit Comet".
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:07 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Aren't you home yet? how many how many how many?

jeez, I hadda kiss the old man hello and take a shower to wash off the days cares and woes.

anyway, I saw just 4 of them parked in their little cartogo spaces. I didn't see any driving around. They must have been though, since I can see by looking at the map now that locations that had a car available no longer are.

I started feeling so sad for the little 2gocars just sitting there. They looked so hopeful, like the Brave Little Toaster.

They are all white, with bright blue trim. The way they are so short, they looked like little hanukka driedels, waiting to be taken for a spin.

ode to a car2go:

gocar gocar, go go go!
it's friday nite, take me out
I'm all ready
to go about and about

don't walk by, no, don't make me cry
take me for a drive
or my wiper fluid will go dry
with the tears I will shed
don't want to go to bed
just yet

let's go up lavaca, cruise down guadalupe
turn the corner round san jacinto
to get tasty french onion soup!

gocar a go go.
go go go!
chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:19 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

How do the practicalities work, like where are the keys? Do you sign a mini-contract online? Pay ahead? But what if you're in it for less or more time than you bargained for? What if it breaks down while you're in it, or gets stolen or smacked into while you're in a store?

Ready, Set, Drive.It is simple to use: car2go in 5 easy steps.

1. Booking.
Pick up the car at a moment's notice or reserve in advance via internet or telephone

2. Get in.
As soon as you hold the car2go member card up to the card reader on the windshield, the vehicle opens.

3. Enter your PIN.
Get in the car and then enter your PIN.

4. Drive off.
Start the car, then simply drive to the destination of your choice. And pay per minute.

5. Park.
Once you arrive at your destination, simply park the car2go. Make sure that you do not leave it in a no-parking zone.
Or you can use one of the many car2go “Designated Park Spots” – a parking space reserved for our vehicles.

Simple and fair.car2go provides a simple and fair price structure that allows members to pay for what they use: an extremely attractive standard price of just 35 cents per minute plus tax which includes the costs of fuel1, insurance, parking, maintenance, and mileage2.

But that's not all: the more time you drive, the more economical it gets. One hour3 costs a maximum of $12.99 plus tax and one day3 no more than $65.99 plus tax. Daily rates are billed on a 24 hour clock.

And all of that with a minimal one-time registration fee of $35 plus tax – now there's a deal for you!

If you would like to know more about the fees involved or would like to know how to cancel a reservation, then the following pages will provide you with all the information you need.

Prices to go.
The following list details all of our charges and credits:

Registration Fee $35.00 plus tax
Per minute $0.35 plus tax
Per hour maximum $12.99 plus tax
Per day maximum $65.99 plus tax
Per mile after 150 mile per rental 45 cents, plus tax

Good to know.
You can drive for as long as you like and as far as you like, although every mile above 150 miles per rental will be charged at 45 cents.

Important: The car2go member is responsible for all processing costs related to damage for which he or she is responsible, extreme soiling of the car2go, driving offences, and violations of the valid terms of use.

Fuel card valid at any station accepting Wright Express . The cost of refueling the vehicle at other gas stations or in other countries will not be reimbursed. ▲
150 miles per day per rental ▲
Price per rental and per vehicle ▲

I was just looking at the operating area, and it is limited basically to downtown.
You can take the car out of the area, but your rental can't be clock back in until you are back in that area.
So, the people who had the cars parked in my neighborhood were being charged, until they drove it about, oh.... 2 miles, across the river, back into DT.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:20 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

ode to a car2go:

gocar gocar, go go go!
it's friday nite, take me out
I'm all ready
to go about and about

don't walk by, no, don't make me cry
take me for a drive
or my wiper fluid will go dry
with the tears I will shed
don't want to go to bed
just yet

let's go up lavaca, cruise down guadalupe
turn the corner round san jacinto
to get tasty french onion soup!

gocar a go go.
go go go!

That was so beautiful!!
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:jN_0cjCP_ku3aM:http://ada.k12.mn.us/Student%20Websites/Madison/Personal/images/CatLaugh.jpg
Tears of joy and melancholy I cry!! Your poem is so so so beautiful!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:28 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I was just looking at the operating area, and it is limited basically to downtown.

I wondered what would keep some practical joker from driving it down to New Braunfels and leaving it there....
chai2

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:30 pm
@DrewDad,
A go car would be Terrified in New Braunfels!

<shudder>

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 12:46 am
what funny little cars.
You wouldnt want to drive one over here
0 Replies