Why there are so many losers?

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:37 am
I suspect the reason so many people are losers( ie: poor) is because they internalize the **** up materialistic consumer culture around them.
They don ` t value education, nor do they have any interest, or passion for studying. For them, their only goal in life is to get by. They take the path with the least risk, and hope to not attract any attention. They don ` t value patience, self-discipline, or planning for the future. For them, money is the end, and the goal is to to gratify their instinctual needs, but since they are losers, they lack the means to do so.

Most people know that fast food is bad for them, and yet they eat that ****. This shows a lack of self-control.

A lot of people are compulsive buyers. Why? Some people know that they can` t afford it, and yet they buy. Why? They are easily distracted by material goods.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 11,248 • Replies: 175

failures art

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:39 am
Poor Not Equal Losers

What a garbage rant.

A
R
T
Below viewing threshold (view)
wayne

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:22 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

I suspect the reason so many people are losers( ie: poor) is because they internalize the **** up materialistic consumer culture around them.
They don ` t value education, nor do they have any interest, or passion for studying. For them, their only goal in life is to get by. They take the path with the least risk, and hope to not attract any attention. They don ` t value patience, self-discipline, or planning for the future. For them, money is the end, and the goal is to to gratify their instinctual needs, but since they are losers, they lack the means to do so.

Most people know that fast food is bad for them, and yet they eat that ****. This shows a lack of self-control.

A lot of people are compulsive buyers. Why? Some people know that they can` t afford it, and yet they buy. Why? They are easily distracted by material goods.

I will agree with you here, if I'm reading you correctly.

Yes many people internalize the consumer culture. They see money as the end, and mistakenly believe it will make them rich.
The first principle of being truly rich is to want what you have, rather than have what you want.
We see the images of the so called poor of America living in filthy conditions. Well, cleanser just doesn't cost that much.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:25 am
@TuringEquivalent,
you are throwing into the same pot a lot of different types. You have ones like Jesse James who had everything and then intentionally fucked it up. You have those who are constrained by lower class by way of lack of opportunity. You got those who have had too easy a life so they are basically good for nothing because they lack the will to work. And you have the stupid, the ones constrained by bad genes. All of them end up with the same problem, for different reasons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:30 am
There are so many poor in the world that to dump them all in one big toilet of opinion such as yours is to overlook the varying circumstances that keep many poor and cause many others to become poor. Many children are born into families which browbeat their children, causing them low esteem. The fear and shame they know translates into later dealing with the world. They cannot act other before the bosses they encounter than they did before bullying parents. Others note the sense of inferiority and they cannot have confidence in the poor souls to perform satisfactorily or to deserve to rise above the present situation. This, regardless of the poor person's willingness to work diligently and faithfully. Such people do not reach for the next rung, because they are conditioned to not have a clue and nobody helps them. All this regardless of intelligence levels.
That is but one scenario.
I haven't the time to write more this time of the morning.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:30 am
@wayne,
Quote:
We see the images of the so called poor of America living in filthy conditions. Well, cleanser just doesn't cost that much
They just dont give a **** in general, not having money is neither here nor there. For those people the problem is at root a spiritual dysfunction.
wayne

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:39 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
We see the images of the so called poor of America living in filthy conditions. Well, cleanser just doesn't cost that much
They just dont give a **** in general, not having money is neither here nor there. For those people the problem is at root a spiritual dysfunction.

I'm not sure whether or not that's what T/E means by poor. For myself, I think poor is as poor does.
When it comes to a lack of basic needs, I think that's something other than poor.
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:48 am
@TuringEquivalent,
You're the fuckup, TE. Your whole post is stupid and shallow and limited.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:56 am
@wayne,
Quote:
I think poor is as poor does.
Right, like how my dirt poor Michigan farmer ancestors had next to nothing but they worked hard, the dirt floor was always swept, the place was tidy, when they went to town they always had clean and pressed clothes on, and their Sunday best goin to church clothes were as good as anyone's.....Compared to today's poor where the house and yard are full of crap, nothing is taken care of, they are in ratty clothes sitting around doing nothing bitchin about what they dont have.....that difference?
wayne

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:01 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I think poor is as poor does.
Right, like how my dirt poor Michigan farmer ancestors had next to nothing but they worked hard, the dirt floor was always swept, the place was tidy, when they went to town they always had clean and pressed clothes on, and their Sunday best goin to church clothes were as good as anyone's.....Compared to today's poor where the house and yard are full of crap, nothing is taken care of, they are in ratty clothes sitting around doing nothing bitchin about what they dont have.....that difference?

Exactly, we may be related. I think your, and mine, ancestors were anything but poor.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:19 am
@wayne,
Quote:
Exactly, we may be related. I think your, and mine, ancestors were anything but poor.
Well if that is what we are talking about then the question is what is the cause of the spiritual rot. The major choices are

1)consumerism as the OP surmised

2) a spiritual disturbance cause by breaking the bond of nature which is caused by the technical age

3) a spiritual disturbance cause by breaking the link back to the culture with the death of religion

4) people being ruined by the democratic assumption of equality, which is no longer considered to be connected to work...they think they should be equal whether they work or not so why work. This is reinforced by handouts that are unrelated to any effort or any desire to make an effort, so again, why work?

5) a breakdown in culture, the breaking of the link of the indiviual to the historic culture which is cause by technology...for instance the claissic books a rapidly departing consciousness because fewer and fewer people alive have read them, they watch tv and movies instead

and there must be others. I dont think that #1 is likely. I am going with #4
wayne

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:37 am
@hawkeye10,
My dad used to say it was the idea that the world owed you a living.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:39 am
@wayne,
I heard that from my grandfather.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:00 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:
Look at how stupid you are.

I have been known to misplace my keys occasionally.

TuringEquivalent wrote:
Instead of using arguments, and reason to refute me, you are using slogans.

Based on what you've provided, it doesn't seem like you've got much an appetite for reasoning.

TuringEquivalent wrote:
You ******* predictive [sic] piece of ****.

I believe you meant "predictable," to say I'm "predictive" is to foretell on the basis of observation, experience, or scientific reason.'

What exactly is it that you think you're supposed to be presented with here? The idea that the poor are poor because they subscribe to a materialistic world-view and consumerism completely ignores that the richest people on earth are the people subscribe to the exact same things. You're blame the poor garbage rant is nothing more than curled lip sneers recited from a comfortable armchair.

TuringEquivalent wrote:
Yes, you are ******* loser, and you are not alone.

Well, I'm not poor, so there goes your theory.

A
R
T
kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:35 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Probably, because there are so many winners. Since, for every loser, there is a winner.
wayne

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Probably, because there are so many winners. Since, for every loser, there is a winner.

True, and for every winner there is at least one loser.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:53 am
@TuringEquivalent,
It is not the poor who are losers. Losers are the people like you who have nothing better to do than look for some misfortunates to blame the woes of the world on.

You do seem to be an expert on losers, but not for the reasons you have outlined.

You can show how much of a loser you are by calling me some names taken from your loser vocabulary.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:02 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

It is not the poor who are losers. Losers are the people like you who have nothing better to do than look for some misfortunates to blame the woes of the world on.

You do seem to be an expert on losers, but not for the reasons you have outlined.

You can show how much of a loser you are by calling me some names taken from your loser vocabulary.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

You seem to be confusing two things: whether someone is a loser, and why he is a loser. I agree, though, that when someone is called, "a loser" there is an implication that either it is his fault, or that it is because of some defect in him. And that need not be true. It may only be chance.
djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:04 am
to me, the so called winners are mostly douchebags, give me the losers any day

as a wise man once said

i'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints
the sinners are much more fun