Why there are so many losers?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 02:55 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Khethil wrote:

djjd62 wrote:
former philo forum members are so literal?

Nah, not all of us.

My philosophical background lies mainly on ethics and epistemology. You'll find that those from the logic side are like this more often. Ken's observation is legitimate. But since no one can phrase everything perfectly, so is the advice to just roll with it.

No one can (it is true) phrase everything perfectly. But some can phrase what they say so that what they say does not imply exactly the opposite of what they intend.

I think djjd62 is trying to make it clear that you should not be using so much effort to dissect a joke. Whether this was perfectly phrased or not, is irrelevant. It's composed for sake of humor, not argument.

A
R
T

It was a joke? Why do you think that? Simply because (as I pointed out) it was not true? Are all false statements not really false because they are jokes? And why would he make a joke that implied exactly what he thought was false?
failures art

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

failures art wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Khethil wrote:

djjd62 wrote:
former philo forum members are so literal?

Nah, not all of us.

My philosophical background lies mainly on ethics and epistemology. You'll find that those from the logic side are like this more often. Ken's observation is legitimate. But since no one can phrase everything perfectly, so is the advice to just roll with it.

No one can (it is true) phrase everything perfectly. But some can phrase what they say so that what they say does not imply exactly the opposite of what they intend.

I think djjd62 is trying to make it clear that you should not be using so much effort to dissect a joke. Whether this was perfectly phrased or not, is irrelevant. It's composed for sake of humor, not argument.

A
R
T

It was a joke? Why do you think that? Simply because (as I pointed out) it was not true? Are all false statements not really false because they are jokes? And why would he make a joke that implied exactly what he thought was false?

Well, aside from the fact that djjd62 verified it was a joke, I knew it was a joke because I attended a sarcasm summer camp when I was 14.

A
R
T
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:19 pm
@kennethamy,
There is no need to analyze every statement (especially if it was uttered by djjd).

Out of curiousity, does your username represent two people: kenneth and amy?
panzade

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:22 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
There is no need to analyze every statement (especially if it was uttered by djjd).

Laughing
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:22 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

hey, i resemble that remark Razz
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:54 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Out of curiousity, does your username represent two people: kenneth and amy?

That may be true, since that statement, at any rate, is clearly false. But out of curiosity (not what you said) I wonder why anyone would say something that was not only clearly false, but the opposite of what he intended to say.
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:58 pm
@kennethamy,
Oh for God's sake! Can't you tell sarcasm when it's front and centre? And if not, having been told it was a joke, why not just accept it and let it go? You are PONDEROUS.
djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:03 pm
@kennethamy,
i didn't say the opposite of what i wanted to say

i was saying i'd rather hang out with the losers (poor folk according to the conversation) than the winners (who i guess would be the privileged for this discussion)

and i used some song lyrics to explain it

i mean this whole post is predicated on the fact that losers are poor people, a stand i find ridiculous enough not to be overly serious in my responses

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:06 pm
@Mame,
ponderous really sums it up
kennethamy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 08:00 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i was saying i'd rather hang out with the losers (poor folk according to the conversation) than the winners (who i guess would be the privileged for this discussion)

i mean this whole post is predicated on the fact that losers are poor people, a stand i find ridiculous enough not to be overly serious in my responses

The post never said that all losers are poor people. And that you are happy to hang out with poor people does have anything to do with whether or not they are losers.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 11:11 pm
@djjd62,
Ponderous seems to be awfully generous
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 01:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

The post never said that all losers are poor people. And that you are happy to hang out with poor people does have anything to do with whether or not they are losers.

Ken: what do you think this means?:
TuringEquivalent wrote:
the reason so many people are losers( ie: poor)...

doesn't that expressly equate "loser" with "poor"?

If you are going to argue with someone, might'nt it well not be with the OP, or are you incapable of arguing with someone beyond two post of your own? I invite you to read the OP again, since it is not clear that you have done so before the ensuing convo.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 03:54 am
@kennethamy,
Oh yes, how was it ..I think it was "your missing an excelent oppotunity to be silent".
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:19 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

It really just depends on whether you want to use a philosophy thread to talk, or if you wish to practice some critical thinking.
Ken is demonstrating the use of critical thinking, it is a skill that is quite indespensible if you wish to practice philosophy, in a philosophy thread.
Of course pf members, not all, are critical. It was a philosophy forum after all.
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:36 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
Ken is demonstrating the use of critical thinking, it is a skill that is quite indespensible if you wish to practice philosophy, in a philosophy thread.

well as i explained, my philosophical training took place in the late 70's and early 80's, i studied at the feet of such renowned instructors as pot, mushrooms and a few psychedelics, a much less stringent group of thinkers than the ones most of you follow, more relaxed in their approach

as the four wise men said

Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream,
It is not dying, it is not dying

Lay down all thought, surrender to the void,
Is it shining? Is it shining?

That you may see the meaning of within
It is being, it is being

Love is all and love is everyone
Is it knowing? Is it knowing?

That ignorance and hate may mourn the dead
It is believing, it is believing

But listen to the colour of your dreams
Is it not living, is it not living

Or play the game existence to the end
Of the beginning, of the beginning
wayne

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 05:20 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

wayne wrote:

well as i explained, my philosophical training took place in the late 70's and early 80's, i studied at the feet of such renowned instructors as pot, mushrooms and a few psychedelics, a much less stringent group of thinkers than the ones most of you follow, more relaxed in their approach

as the four wise men said

Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream,
It is not dying, it is not dying

Lay down all thought, surrender to the void,
Is it shining? Is it shining?

That you may see the meaning of within
It is being, it is being

Love is all and love is everyone
Is it knowing? Is it knowing?

That ignorance and hate may mourn the dead
It is believing, it is believing

But listen to the colour of your dreams
Is it not living, is it not living

Or play the game existence to the end
Of the beginning, of the beginning

Yes, that's one form of philosophy.
I've practiced it myself.
When dealing with k/a it helps to remember that he mostly uses analytic philosophy, which can be quite frustrating at times.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:11 pm
@wayne,

djjd62 wrote:

I've practiced it myself.
When dealing with k/a it helps to remember that he mostly uses analytic philosophy, which can be quite frustrating at times.

Frustrating for whom, and frustrating how? Since a primary purpose of analytic philosophy is to produce clarity where there was confusion, I suppose we have to conclude that those who prefer to be confused will find it frustrating. I would advise such people to start preferring not to be confused, and seek clarity. In that way, they can achieve understanding, which is, after all, the purpose of philosophy.
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@kennethamy,
wayne said that, not me, i don't care what someone believes i post based on what i believe or feel
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:27 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

wayne said that, not me, i don't care what someone believes i post based on what i believe or feel

Sorry. I just made that mistake of wrong attribution. I really have to be more careful.
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:27 pm
@kennethamy,
it's cool
0 Replies