sapping good will

fansy

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:30 pm
Quote:
Although strong majorities in several countries expressed worries about Iran’s nuclear intentions, in 13 of 15 countries polled, most people said the war in Iraq posed more of a danger to world peace. Russians held that view by a 2-to-1 margin.
“Obviously, when you get many more people saying that the U.S. presence in Iraq is a threat to world peace as say that about Iran, it’s a measure of how much Iraq is sapping good will to the United States,” said Andrew Kohut, president of the Pew Research Center.

Whose good will to the United States Iraq is sapping? Iraq's own good will to the US? or the good will of countries to the US in general?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 573 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JTT

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:58 pm
@fansy,
it’s a measure of how much the situation in/of Iraq is sapping good will towards the United States,”

Hasn't this quote/this question been addressed here at A2K before?
fansy

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:34 pm
@JTT,
The same quotation appeared before, but it was about whether it should be goodwill as one word, or good will as two words.

But this time the question is about sapping whose good will to the US.
JTT

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:36 pm
@fansy,
I see, Fansy. Thanks for filling me in/bringing me up to speed.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:28 am
Read the piece carefully and you can answer your own question:

Quote:
Although strong majorities in several countries expressed worries about Iran’s nuclear intentions, in 13 of 15 countries polled, most people said the war in Iraq posed more of a danger to world peace. Russians held that view by a 2-to-1 margin.

So we see that the piece suggests in 13 countries, notably Russia, goodwill towards the US was at a low level. There is nothing in the second paragraph to suggest that Iraq's goodwill (if there is any!) is being discussed.
0 Replies