Has anyone else noticed that something is missing?

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
I just realized that there are no ads here. I seem to remember that there were ads on A2K... but now I can't seem to find one.

Not that I am complaining, mind you. I just hope the hamsters aren't starving.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:29 pm
@ebrown p,
Advertisers tend to prefer to advertise to the cool and popular folk and are increasingly eschewing nerdy Linux fanatics. I see really cool ads, for example, owing in large part to my good looks and impeccable taste.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 04:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Damn,

I knew that one of these days I was going to regret being a Linux user.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
But I'm not a Linux user and there are no ads for me either!!!!

And don't even THINK of using the obvious retort.
hingehead

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:24 pm
@dlowan,
Clearly belligerent rabbits are not currently a desired market segment in Google Ads.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 06:39 pm
@dlowan,
I'll bypass the obvious retort about your base proclivities but it really doesn't surprise me that you are not marketable timber either. I mean, just put yourself in the advertiser's shoes for once. It's not all about you, you know.

Of course, I still see the most glorious and intriguing of ads, each enriching my life more than the next, so I can share screenshots with you sometime if you fail to pass muster after even a strenuous effort at self-edification.
margo

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 08:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
if you fail to pass muster after even a strenuous effort at self-edification.

What on earth has self-edification got to do with the presence or otherwise of ads!?

You're a braver soul than I am, suggesting that dlowan may even be in the general vicinity of "base proclivities"!! Been nice knowing you! Twisted Evil Razz
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:20 pm
@margo,
Well they aren't going to advertise to just anyone, will they? Even they have their standards, and prefer a modicum of sophistication in their audience.

Folks like you and I (surely you see the ads?) are selected to their panel while the coarse masses are necessarily excluded.
Eva

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:23 pm
Oh! So THAT's why all these ads are cluttering my screen!

Thanks for the explanation, RG.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:30 pm
@Eva,
Eva, it is the just reward to folk of our lofty ilk but at the same time i feel i would be failing in my duty as a friend not to mention that commenting at the abundance you were bestowed with right after their protestations at the paucity of their own ad experience might be described as gaudy. The ad gods may see fit to revoke your access to the advertisements if you generate ad envy amongst the unwashed masses.
JPB

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ilk is one of my all time favorite words.
roger

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:55 pm
@JPB,
Mine to - whatever the hell it means. I mean, it's so inclusive.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:21 pm
I was about to start a setantrum thread about all these pop ups and flashing lights and noises every time i sign on.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:26 pm
@JPB,
I even started a thread on ilks.

In this case, I have this view that ads are off, but, there are so many reasons they seem to be on and messed up, it's a glorious chance for ilk play..
dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Well they aren't going to advertise to just anyone, will they? Even they have their standards, and prefer a modicum of sophistication in their audience.

Folks like you and I (surely you see the ads?) are selected to their panel while the coarse masses are necessarily excluded.

I think we have a case here of the Emperor's New Clothes.

And, may I suggest as a matter of extreme importance to my mental health, that he put on some REAL clothes immediately.

I mean, I have seen some terrible things, but this....well, let us draw a curtain of silence over Mr Happy and has wrinkled friends. Not to mention the bum.
dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:44 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I even started a thread on ilks.

In this case, I have this view that ads are off, but, there are so many reasons they seem to be on and messed up, it's a glorious chance for ilk play..

Anyone whe gets NEAR my ilk is like SO dead.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:48 pm
@dlowan,
Ilkaholism is bad news, bunny. It causes bulky upchucks..
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:50 pm
@ossobuco,
But wait, I never saw ads..
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:10 am
@dlowan,
Two can wax folkloric and I think this is a case of the sour grapes after being deprived of the magnificent advertisements that the cultural elite on a2k enjoy. Maybe if you used a proxy the ad servers won't recognize you and you can sneak past them till they wise on to you.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:11 am
@ossobuco,
You too? Well I guess that just goes to show you that you can really never know someone, doesn't it?
0 Replies