Capitalizing after colons.

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 02:26 am
Is it proper to begin the word after a colon with a capital letter?

The rule is this: don't capitalize after a colon.

The rule is this: Do capitalize after a colon.

Please help! (Paper due next week.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,272 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 03:25 am
Quote:
I would be as glad as James Briggs to know what is being taught in Amercian schools regarding the colon, punctuation generally, and the English language. The smallish children whom I have asked about it are so vague that I suspect English may be taught quite differently than in former days. To ask about spelling class, or handwriting class, is to provoke a blank stare. But I am ill-informed about this. I will say that insofar as I was taught anything about colons, it was that the normal punctuation of what followed the colon would usually prevail. If it introduced a formal list consisting of sentences, or a quotation, or a speech in a dialogue you would expect to see a capital letter. Usually you would (and do) expect to see lower-case, if that is what you would see after, say, a comma or semi-colon in that position. But US English, especially after 1963, is very tolerant, and I have seen plenty of capital letters following colons where I would not have expected to see them. SS

Current US usage (not as taught in schools or seen in newspapers or magazines, but as practiced by well-taught editors) is that a colon is followed by a lowercase letter in the normal course of events.

: *As in a list: colons, semi-colons, commas.*

: However, if the colon precedes a full sentence (e.g., a quote), then it is followed by an uppercase letter.

: *Here is what is meant by hegemony: The United States administration, as distinguished from its people, intends a "pax americana" enforceable by right.*
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 03:30 am
Using colons and colon usage in English writing and grammar.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:45 am
In your example, I would have used a semicolon.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:48 am
Well, roger, a colon is actually correct there, since the "rule" completes the "this". . .

And you do NOT capitalize after either colons or semicolons, unless the word is a proper noun.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:38 am
All the publishers I work for insist that if a complete sentence immediately follows a colon, the first word of the sentence is capitalized. However, the Chicago Manual of Style says that only if more than one complete sentence immediately follows a colon would you capitalize. Other instances where the material immediately following a colon is capitalized: a formal statement, a quotation, or speech in a dialogue. (Also from the CMoS.) Of course you should include a proper name or the title of something.

If a colon introduces a list and uses such expressions as "the following," the listed items should be lower case IF the items are run in with the sentence and IF the items are not complete sentences. If the listed items are set off (set up as a list with numbers or bullets or some such thing), then you need to be consistent with regard to capitalization. It is not essential that you capitalize words or phrases that are set off in lists; however, it is often preferred. You must ALWAYS capitalize the first words in a set off list if the items are complete sentences. If your list consists of some complete sentences and some incomplete, all the items in the list must begin with a capital letter.

Re semicolons: The only time a word should be capitalized immediately following a semicolon is if the word is a proper noun or the title of something--in essense, capitalize what would normally be capitalized regardless of the preceding punctuation.
0 Replies

Immanuel

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:46 pm
That clears it up.
Thanks everybody.
0 Replies