Some white students are qualifying for the aid

fansy

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 07:51 pm
Quote:
Firm data on how many institutions have modified their policies is elusive because colleges and institutions are not eager to trumpet the changes. At least a handful are seeking to put more money into the programs as they expand the possible pool of applicants.
Some white students are qualifying for the aid. Last year, in response to a legal threat from the Education Department, Washington University in St. Louis modified the standards for an undergraduate scholarship that had been open just to minorities and was named for the first African-American dean at the university. This year, the first since the change, 12 of the 42 first-year recipients are white.

What does this progressive tense form imply? Does it mean that these white students are elligible for the scholarship?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 527 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:08 pm
@fansy,
It is a typical use of the present progressive. It is a process that is taking place right now. And yes, when they say white students "qualify", it means they meet the requirements of the scholarship (i.e. they are eligible).

If I understand this passage (I don't have the context) it seems to be talking about scholarships that were designed for minorities. The education department apparently said that restricting the scholarships only to non-white students is against the rules... and this is why white students are now qualifying.

0 Replies