colleges and institutions

fansy

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 07:44 pm
Quote:
Firm data on how many institutions have modified their policies is elusive because colleges and institutions are not eager to trumpet the changes. At least a handful are seeking to put more money into the programs as they expand the possible pool of applicants.

When "institutions" is mentioned at the same breath with "colleges", what does "institutions" refer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 509 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:07 pm
@fansy,
Fansy, I'm a regular a2k person. I wish you would talk to us, with whatever language difficulties, on the regular a2k threads.

Osso
fansy

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, Osso,
I come to a2k for help with language comprehension problems for translation excerises. I am glad that you are willing to join the group of warm-hearted people who are very patient in explaining language points to me. I thank them all. I also look forward to reading your answers to my problems.
All the best.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 09:11 am
It isn't quite clear from the context, but it seems reasonable to assume that they are "institutions of higher learning." While the distinction between colleges and universities has become blurred, the phrase probably refers to the latter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:14 am
@fansy,
Context.

You need to provide context in questions like this.
0 Replies