Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 07:14 pm
@boomerang,
How are things going with Miami?
boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:29 pm
@Arella Mae,
Excellent!

But his name is now Striker.

Good thing snakes don't really care about names.

Even though Striker has not been here for a week yet, and he was fed at the shop the day we brought him home, Mo decided Striker was hungry today. This was based soley on Striker's behavior.

And Mo was right!

I think Striker is getting a bit more exercise than he did in the shop.

I agree with Gosh that snakes don't really bond with people but Mo has definately bonded with Striker.

Mostly I'm fascinated by the calming effect Striker has on Mo. It's really something, I've never seen anything quite like it.
roger

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:38 pm
@boomerang,
Did he come by that name honestly?
boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:42 pm
@roger,
Yes indeed. The name change happened today. I think that's how Mo figured out that Striker was hungry.

When they taught us how to feed him at the shop it took maybe 20 minutes for him (her?) to eat. Today it took about 5 minutes.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:44 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Excellent!

But his name is now Striker.

Good thing snakes don't really care about names.

Even though Striker has not been here for a week yet, and he was fed at the shop the day we brought him home, Mo decided Striker was hungry today. This was based soley on Striker's behavior.

And Mo was right!

I think Striker is getting a bit more exercise than he did in the shop.

I agree with Gosh that snakes don't really bond with people but Mo has definately bonded with Striker.

Mostly I'm fascinated by the calming effect Striker has on Mo. It's really something, I've never seen anything quite like it.
I am so happy things are working out. I definitely don't understand the bonding with a snake but that is me. I am glad Mo loves Striker! Just thought of something, I bet the name Striker will keep Mo's friends' hands off of him!
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:01 am
@boomerang,
Kings are piggies, and have a tendency to get over weight after they get a bit older. You can tell they are hungry when they stalk their enclosure. There is the normal probing etc... then there is prowling. If it looks like he's hunting he's hungry. But don't feed him more than recommended, for a baby king 5-7 days, after a year 7-10 days, after 5 years 10 -12 days.
boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 09:41 am
@GoshisDead,
It had been 6 days so we're within the limits.

At the shop they said that Striker might be ready to move up to larger mice before we'd gone through the 4-pack we bought.

Is it bad to feed them a bit more often if you're giving smaller portions?
GoshisDead

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 11:46 am
@boomerang,
keep his feeding spaced the same just feed him two mice
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:04 pm
@boomerang,
How is Stryker and his owner doing? Doesn't it creep you out knowing a snake is in the house? I get creeped out if I see a spider. Laughing
boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 09:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
They're doing great. Mo builds him elaborate Lego forts to crawl around in so I guess you could say they "play" together.

And I'm actually growing rather fond of the snake myself. I like to watch him move around. I'm fascinated by the fact that he feels completely unlike what I expected him to feel like.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 05:38 am
@boomerang,
I am so glad it's working out well for everyone. That is pretty cool that he builds him forts like that. I did pet a snake at a fair once and I was shocked they didn't feel cold or slimy too. But, you are still so much braver than me!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:11 pm
@boomerang,
How are Mo and Miami doing?
boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 11:01 am
@Arella Mae,
It's going very well. Snakes are very easy to take care of!

We've been through a few names. I pretty sure it's Strangles now. That paints a lovely picture, doesn't it?

Strangles is getting big -- about 2 feet long now.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 02:21 pm
@boomerang,
I vote that mo renames him "1 Lunged Carnage Machine"
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 02:34 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

It's going very well. Snakes are very easy to take care of!

We've been through a few names. I pretty sure it's Strangles now. That paints a lovely picture, doesn't it?

Strangles is getting big -- about 2 feet long now.
Well, I can't imagine it is all that easy to name a snake.Laughing Strangles sounds a bit less threatening than Stryker though (which I had forgotten Mo changed it from Miami to - sorry Mo!) But I am sure Strangles knows who his owner is and is happy. How long can Strangles get?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 03:00 pm
1 Lunged Carnage Machine is a very good name!

Strangles will get to be about 5 feet long.

I'm thinking of hiring The Reptile Man for Mo's birthday party this year: http://www.oregonreptileman.com/

Quote:
The Reptile Man has an extraordinary and outstanding array of snakes, lizards, turtles and tortoises that have won the rapt attention of enthralled audiences throughout the Pacific Northwest for 20 years. Presenting approximately 500 educational programs to over 20 thousand people annually, Featuring 15-20 reptiles from diverse habitats at each presentation, these dynamic predators capture hearts of both young and old.

The Reptile Man founder, Richard Ritchey has assembled a traveling collection of scaled predators that is unrivaled in quality and reputation. Richard Ritchey is a Herpetologist who brings unique insights, observations and humor to his exciting, riveting, live reptile shows.

Richard Ritchey works with reptiles in a wide rage of sizes. From small snakes and lizards to the majestic 12 foot King Cobra. He is honored with 38 years of handling experience and has presented The Fascinating World of Reptiles to over a half a million people... up close and personal

He's cool!

Actually, I offered Mo's school a Reptile Man presentation for the entire 4th grade (all three classes) because it's the same price as having him come to the house but the school said no.

I'm still trying to figure that one out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 03:14 pm
I missed this the first time around... awesome! I love snakes. It was one of my favorite duties when I used to work at the zoo -- hold the boa and show him off. (Let people pet him, etc.) Really fabulous boa, huge and placid. Loved the feeling of having him draped around my shoulders -- the weight was distributed so that he wasn't that heavy, even though he was BIG boa.

And that's great that the snake has a calming effect on Mo.
Izzie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 04:24 pm
@sozobe,
I think I missed this first time round too... haven't read the whole thread and see you already have a snake.

Was going to suggest a chamaeleon. We've had a few of those, easy to keep, very calming, incredibly fascinating, and amazing to watch feed - and great characters. My friend has a large one at the mo called Darwin - HE IS GORGEOUS.

However, also babysat a cornsnake for a mate and his lizard, but Sesame snake lunged at me so to grab said thawed mouse... and that put me off him.

Have had plenty leopard geckos (beautiful creatures), lizards, beardies... beardies get quite big.

Anyhooooo you're fixed up with a snake now - best wishes to y'all and hope Mo enjoys.

<R was well into his lizards - loved them.>

<deffo no no for the 8 legged thing>
0 Replies