To my anonymous fan.

Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 10:09 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I feel the same way Mysteryman but I would never admit it public. Now let's stop before this gets embarrassing for both of us.

Too late

Laughing
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:44 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Maybe that is why she is the ex-wife

It had more to do with a drug habit of hers that she was able to hide from me for a time.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
I've never used (nor do I really understand) this thumbs up-down thing and the only posters I take mild exception to are those that believe in ghosts, zombies, magic and the like (Christians, New Agers, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etc). Often I don't even take mild exception to such superstitious wackos, given their claims are so bizarre as they stand, a response would only decrease the total humor-factor.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:45 pm
not aimed at anyone..

but who gives a flying **** ?

seriously

if someone wants to thumb down something SO WHAT. Its just the internet.

See that little red X up there in the corner?
Thumb that one .

People are obsessive and stupid yes. They will go after posts and thumb them down based on the person who wrote it more than the content.
SO WHAT.
Its a reflection of them, their lack of a life, their obsession with the internet and shallow thought process.

SO WHAT.

*ahem*
i gotta ask the same thing about the person who gets all pissed off about the action too.. *ahem* ebrown..... ?? Wink reallllly.. does it matter ? Smile
No. It doesnt.
Now shut up, and lets go have a beer.
Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:50 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Now shut up, and lets go have a beer.

you buyin', WOMAN Razz

<smooches>
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:31 pm
@Izzie,
Oy, if she's not, I am! Let's go, hon!
Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:50 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Oy, if she's not, I am! Let's go, hon!

That gets a Two Thumbs Up
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:51 pm
@Mame,
not long now... and we will be for real... yayayayayay - PIMMS!

(I did tell you I am the worst cook in the world, right....) Razz

bring on the PIMMS! Razz Very Happy

Trep - wanna join us Smile
DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:34 pm
@ebrown p,
I've just gone through your last 15 posts and thumbed them down for starting this thread.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:45 pm
@Izzie,
Oy, I can't wait Smile and never you mind, I'll cook for you or we'll go out... whatever, we're not getting together for the food, are we, luv? We can snack on cheese and crackers for all I care... I just want to see you Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 10:07 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Are some posters more likely to be stalked by down-voters than others?

I recently asked about sock puppets because I notice that the most vocal righties generally are voted down and then voted up again. I assumed the some of them have sock puppets just to vote their posts up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm
I often vote up people who have been voted down, even if I am not interested in the thread they are involved in.
Eorl

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 10:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Egalitarian Edgar" they call him.

ebrown p, just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean there ISN'T someone out to get you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:47 am
One other thing to consider - You might annoy two or more posters. One thumbs you down in the one thread. The others do it some place else. If they are multiple, then they could actually be selective and only do it the times they find you (who, me?) annoying.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 11:29 am
I will take you all up on that offer!

i would even hop over the pond to have a beer with ya Smile
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 12:31 pm
I thought the thumb thing was to reflect a vote of sorts, with the same voting in privacy that we get as citizens? So, perhaps, it may be inappropriate to solicit who is voting for someone, regardless of what the vote is?

Could transparent thumb voting be part of the "changes" we heard about in the presidential election?

My feeling about this is, MYOT (Mind Your Own Thumb).
ebrown p

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:07 pm
@Foofie,
A thumb down is not a vote... it is a public slap (a weak one, again I am more amused then troubled by this, but it is a slap nonetheless).

There is the "hide" aspect of it, but I don't really think that anyone cares about hiding posts (threads sure, but not posts)... you don't generally go back and read old posts anyway, so hiding them doesn't help at all.

The real reason for the thumb-down is to offer a (albeit weak) symbol of disdain.

I don't like the idea of an anonymous show of disdain. I would prefer names to be attached (again, this is amusing, but not a big deal).

The ignore feature works the other way-- there is counter on how many people have me on ignore. It's main purpose is not to show disdain, in fact I don't think there is a way for me, or anyone, to know how many people are ignoring me.

But, here is a real peeve (this one actually bothers me a bit). The ignore feature is supposed to be anonymous, yet there are constant broadcasts of who people are ignoring. This takes what is a useful anonymous tool and turns it into a public shaming.

The public ignore is petty and boorish.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:35 pm
So you want it made public when you get thumbed down, but you want it kept secret if you get ignored? Why do you want to know the one but not the other?
ebrown p

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's the publicly visible score card, Edgar. If there is a publicly visible scorecard, then each identity of each vote should be public. If there is no visible scorecard... there should be anonymity.

If there was a placard when you clicked my Profile that said,
"ebrown_p -- ignored by 11,231 users"
Then each of those names should be accessible.

Conversely, if you couldn't tell how many people thumbed-down each post, then I wouldn't mind that thumbing down is anonymous.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:43 pm
Well -- oka-a-a-a-a-ay
0 Replies