How Would You Dress if you were the opposite gender?

plainoldme

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
plainoldme wrote:
My youngest brother once said that he aims for a style he called "dashing conservative."
I knew exactly what he meant.
I was quick to vote for Barry Goldwater n Ronald Reagan,
but as I told an ex-girlfriend, my speeds r stroll, mosey n stop.

Alright, you get a point for the extended pun . . . but . . . that is not what I meant.

I would say Delroy Lindo demonstrates dashing conservative as a style.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
There is still nothing.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:04 am
@eoe,
I think it was his remake of Shaft.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:07 am
I like the scarves.

I think what I'd wear would depend a lot on what *I* looked like, as a man. Age, coloring, fitness level, etc.

I like the hats too, and would probably like a lot of vintage stuff, without shading into full-out hipster. Would probably push some envelopes, color-wise.
plainoldme

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:50 am
@sozobe,
My sons are both "winters" according to the Color Me BEautiful system and enjoy wearing red, royal blue and purple. The kids have a male teacher who wore pink shirts and looked great in them.
sozobe

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:56 am
@plainoldme,
Pink is a good color for a lot of people. There was a breast cancer awareness (?) campaign just here in Ohio I think with a former OSU football star, "Real Men Wear Pink." Saw a lot of men in pink, the vast majority looked great.
plainoldme

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:02 am
@sozobe,
There are several great aspects to pink. One is that it blends well with other colors, from khaki to black to grey to navy to maroon. Another is that some pinks are coral pinks with a yellow or orange undertone that can be worn by folks with a yellow cast to their complexions while other pinks have a blue or lavendar cast for those with blue undertones.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:08 am
@sozobe,
The term, Real Men Wear Pink, has been around for decades. We men DO look good in pink and men who are real men are not phased by public opinion or anything else. The saying alludes to the fact that nobody would mess with a real man whether he wears pink or metal armour.

The breast cancer awareness of recent years has revived this and all manner of buttons, clothing etc. are worn in support of women. This is a good thing.
0 Replies

aidan

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:36 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Sam has height on his side. There was a movie trailer in which he was shown wearing a duster . . . the sort of coat made to order for a tall man. Sam turned around and the coat spun out a bit. Among the sexiest images I can pull from the mental rolodex.
He also has incredibly beautiful skin. He'd be a great winter - can you picture him wearing deep red? Beautiful.
plainoldme

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 12:06 pm
@aidan,
Ever see him on Letterman when he talks about his obsession, golf? He comes across as very non-actorly and relaxed, typing on despite what the online editor has to say about actorly.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:28 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Ever see him on Letterman when he talks about his obsession, golf?
He comes across as very non-actorly and relaxed,
typing on despite what the online editor has to say about actorly.
What is: "the online editor" ?
0 Replies

Sentience

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 06:53 pm
I really can't say, as I have no idea how I would look. The best looking thing I could be comfortable in, to be as general as possible.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 17 Jul, 2010 07:32 pm
@fbaezer,
Following fbaezer's idea -

1) 1961

When I was first in college, very early sixties, the continental suit was all the rage. My Music 1A - TA wore one. He was very cool and had wonderful eyes. Oh, and yes, this great suit. He had a certain presence.

I've looked online before and never found any suits that look like those that were popular for those months or years, so, I've no photo. Just picture good eyes on a smart man and pretend that's me.

My continental suit would probably be grey or khaki color, though many were a kind of green, and I'd have a pale button down shirt (not white) and penny loafers, even though those always hurt my feet. I don't remember about tie, I think not. Probably open top button. Great haircut.
Good music in background.

2) 1980's

I was studying and then working in landscape architecture then, and this involved going out and tromping around sites, sometimes muddy sites. I've only known one female who did that in high heels, and she was good enough to get away with it. Anyway, most of us females wore jeans, a good shirt, blazer or some sturdy less formal jacket and clogs or boots... unless it was some city meeting, and then I'd wear my good white suit or something equivalent. Or not, depending on the city.

So, were I a man - same thing, but not clogs, unless I could find Man danskos and they didn't look odd.

In summer, jeans or slacks, depending on job, long sleeved shirt rolled up, probably brown leather shoes with both style and comfort, worn with air of authority willing to listen. Probably carrying olden weathered satchel, maybe even my own. (my own whatchallit briefcase is has gone from navy to blue grey)

3. 2010.

I'm still interested in clothes but way less interested in norms. My clothes source is Good Will. I'm retired and not rolling in coins, but I bought from thrifts even back in the work decades.

By now, I might even wear cowboy boots, but that looks plain silly in some places, so it would depend on where I live. Work boots, or shoes that don't f-kn hurt my feet, comfortable loafers.

I'd still like rolled up long sleeve shirts - maybe like the one osso fell in love with a guy over, a rich marine blue, oh, and his eyes, and the stuff behind the eyes (he's a real person, wish I could show the photo) - but now that I'm older I might have some good slacks instead of jeans. No ties. I don't go to those kind of restaurants, or to the opera. I'd still try to have a good haircut (even though osso has given up on that herself and cuts her own) including if I were bald, which, is, of course, beautiful.
OmSigDAVID

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:39 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Following fbaezer's idea -

1) 1961

When I was first in college, very early sixties, the continental suit was all the rage. My Music 1A - TA wore one.
He was very cool and had wonderful eyes. Oh, and yes, this great suit. He had a certain presence.

I've looked online before and never found any suits that look like those that were popular for those months or years,
so, I've no photo. Just picture good eyes on a smart man and pretend that's me.

My continental suit would probably be grey or khaki color, though many were a kind of green, and

I'd have a pale button down shirt (not white) and penny loafers,
Y not white ?
ossobuco

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I was talking about my purported shirt..
OmSigDAVID

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:43 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I was talking about my purported shirt..
I know. I was wondering, Y not.
ossobuco

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
What?
OmSigDAVID

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:49 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
What?
Will u tell us the reason for your disfavor of wearing a white shirt ?
ossobuco

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 12:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Huh? I like white shirts. But my memories of that time are that shirts started to veer from white, perhaps slightly.

What's the deal, non white shirts freak you out?

I'm from LA, honey.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:03 am
@plainoldme,
i'd dress from the left