How Would You Dress if you were the opposite gender?

Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:52 pm
Because we aren't allowed to read or work sudoku puzzles at the liquor store, I find myself imagining things.

Lately, I've wondered how I would present myself if I were a man rather than a woman.

I wonder if, like so many men my age, would I wear Hawaiian shirts? Would I be a sandalphobe? Would I wear a soul patch or a goatee or simply not shave in the winter time but go clean-faced in the summer?

Yahoo came up with one of their lame features on what women hate about men's fashions that was sort of a non-event: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/men-s-worst-fashion-crimes-seeking-submissions-1912744/#photoViewer=1

I had no idea what an "Ed Hardy" shirt was. I am not impressed.

I always liked the way Tom Rush looked on the cover of Circle Game: jeans, a tweed jacket and a turtleneck. I guess that would be how I would dress in winter, were I a man.

Intrepid

Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:55 pm
@plainoldme,
Seems that you may have been sampling the wares of your store. Laughing
plainoldme

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:35 am
@Intrepid,
No,just titanically bored. The injunction against reading weighs heavily when no customers come in for extended periods of time and the stock is in order.

Besides, imagination is positive. A blank mind might prove contagious.
Intrepid

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:40 am
@plainoldme,

It was Albert Einstein who said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:44 am
@plainoldme,
if i dressed the way i prefer women dressed, i wouldn't have to change my wardrobe at all, jeans, t-shirts, pyjama pants, sweats, sweatshirts
Intrepid

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:45 am
@djjd62,
Laughing
0 Replies

aidan

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:49 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I always liked the way Tom Rush looked on the cover of Circle Game: jeans, a tweed jacket and a turtleneck. I guess that would be how I would dress in winter, were I a man.

I don't know why - but that just made me laugh
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know I would never wear a short sleeved button down shirt like this if I were a man...I wouldn't wear those kind of glasses or tight pants/trousers either - men in tight pants look ridiculous:http://manolomen.com/images/Marc%20Jacobs%20short-sleeve%20shirt.jpg

I do like long-sleeved white oxford shirts open at the neck - I think they look nice with a pair of jeans - as long as they're untucked (not tucked in).
0 Replies

eoe

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:09 am
This is a great question! Like alot of women, I've been wearing pieces of mens' clothing all my life but never head-to-toe. Let me think about it and get back to you. Very Happy
plainoldme

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:17 am
@eoe,
I once had a tuxedo, complete with tails. I think I wore it once.
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:32 am
Well, you asking someone who has already switched to wearing mens underwear.

I have never been more comfortable.
Mame

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:01 am
@chai2,
I wear Alex's shirts to bum around the house in, and his t-shirts to sleep in. His shoes are way too big, though (he's 6'2" and I'm 5'2"). And I prefer men's (okay, boys') jeans to womens'.

No way I'm wearing boxers, though.
0 Replies

aidan

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:22 am
I wore my husband's boxers when I was pregnant (as shorts around the house). I think they were 36 waist - which was almost exactly how big my waist was at the end of my pregnancy. I was heavily pregnant in the summer (my son was born in August) and they were lightweight and cool and very nonconstricting around my belly - perfect!

Once I forgot to pack underwear to go to the beach so I had to borrow some y-fronts from my boyfriend. Those were very comfortable too - but you couldn't wear either one of those sorts of things under fitted clothes (back then-maybe the y-fronts they have now would be less bulky).

I also buy men's trousers because you can choose the exact waist size and length.
They never need hemming.
fresco

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:36 am
@aidan,
Quote:
They never need hemming.

I deduce you are above average height for a woman ?
aidan

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:38 am
@fresco,
No, I'm 5'4 but am right in the middle between petite and average. So petite trousers are too short - because my height is in my legs- but average length women trousers are almost always a little too long, so I almost always have to have them hemmed.

Whereas a 32 inch inseam in male's trousers is exactly the right length. Women's trousers only have petite/average/tall.
fresco

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:49 am
@aidan,
In the USA ?
aidan

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:50 am
@fresco,
Yeah - I rarely buy clothes here as they're so much more expensive.
fresco

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:55 am
@aidan,
I'm 5'8". In the UK I can rarely get the correct length.

However, we digress. The answer to the question:

Quote:
How Would You Dress if you were the opposite gender?

is "badly" !
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:17 pm
But I am the opposite gender. I wear relaxed fit jeans most of the time and polo type shirts. I like black oxford style shoes.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:26 pm
@plainoldme,

That question exceeds my ability to imagine.
I 'm sure glad that I 'm not in a position to find out the answer.

David
Intrepid

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Where is your sense of adventure?