What ` s going to help me from being in the lower class?

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:22 pm
My greatest concern is that America will return to the old days where there is a large/slave, majority, and a smell ruling minority. Historically, this model is one that is the case for most of written history. The greatest problem that confronts the middle class is how to cope with:

1. The endless supply of cheap manual labor from all over the world. These people would work for 20 cent on a dollar, able to do long hours, and without any union.

2. The endless supply of cheap technical people from all over the world. The same as 1. These technical jobs are mainly filled by Chinese nationals, and Asian indians.

3. How many ******* times have you heard that America is a service economy? What happens when you have an endless supply of service people? That is what is happening right now. When you want to get help on how to configure your iphone, you talk to some indian guy half way across the world. When your boss want someone to do the company tax, he emails it to India where it is much cheaper. Your boss also email to a group in China, or india to help him design something. When these jobs are gone, we are all fucked.

For reasons 1-3, there is no more job security any more.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:24 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Will the ruling majority's smell be so bad, that we cannot resist it?

Cycloptichorn
plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:25 pm
Nothing. Welcome to the New America where everyone is less than middle class.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:29 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Do you smell an oncoming political firestorm, because I do....there will be hell to pay when Americans wake up and realize what has happened.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Do you smell an oncoming political firestorm, because I do....there will be hell to pay when Americans wake up and realize what has happened.

Pfff, you've been beating this drum since day 1 on this site, Captain Doom and Gloom. Never a shred of evidence to back the position up.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Never a shred of evidence to back the position up.
Check out the reality of the global economic picture, go looking for experts who are optimistic about the future and see how many you can come up with, and then say that without a smiley face...

I have been ahead of the curve in coming to the conclusion that we are in deep trouble, but it is now the almost universal consensus.

EDIT: someone, I forget who, said a few days ago that we are in the middle of a pessimism bubble. That is a very minority view though, most people think that the pessimism is completely justified based upon the facts.
TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

This is not about smelling rich peoples` ass, moron.
It is about the middle class in America without any sense of job security anymore.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:55 pm
Quote:
What`s going to help me from being in the lower class?

Go to school and become a lobbyist or politician. They seem to do well no matter what the economic climate.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:02 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It is about the middle class in America without any sense of job security anymore.

I believe he was cracking a joke about the typo in your original post:

Quote:
My greatest concern is that America will return to the old days where there is a large/slave, majority, and a smell ruling minority.
0 Replies

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Check out the reality of the global economic picture, go looking for experts who are optimistic about the future and see how many you can come up with, and then say that without a smiley face...

I have been ahead of the curve in coming to the conclusion that we are in deep trouble, but it is now the almost universal consensus.

EDIT: someone, I forget who, said a few days ago that we are in the middle of a pessimism bubble. That is a very minority view though, most people think that the pessimism is completely justified based upon the facts.

There is no more talk. It is already a reality. Of course, some jobs will never move out of this country, like law, medicine, teaching and selling houses. What i see is that technical jobs are out. I live in San Jose, and most people are indian, or Chinese engineers. All the tiny bits of chips in your computer are all made from Taiwanese companies. This includes a lot of the service, research, and design jobs as well. Why? Big companies are building research labs all over China, and India.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:19 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

There is no more talk. It is already a reality. Of course, some jobs will never move out of this country, like law, medicine, teaching and selling houses. What i see is that technical jobs are out. I live in San Jose, and most people are indian, or Chinese engineers. All the tiny bits of chips in your computer are all made from Taiwanese companies. This includes a lot of the service, research, and design jobs as well. Why? Big companies are building research labs all over China, and India.

I am thinking of moving to canada after law school. what do you guys think?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:22 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
If you have an American law degree it will do you no good in Canada, they have different laws. I also think they have their own employment problems not so different from the US.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:31 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I would advise that you check your ******* typing in the original post before referring to others as a moron; the irony meter doesn't like being driven past the chart's limits.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 04:00 pm
what's wrong with being part of the lower class, i'd much rather be them than the upper class, all i ask is a living wage
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 04:04 pm
stainless steel kitchen appliances, granite counters tops and dual sink ensuites are the new measure of "middle-class" in american. the times they are a changin'.
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 04:07 pm
@dyslexia,
i prefer the classic 1970's autumn gold appliances myself
http://thatwasthen1968.com/1968images/harvest-appliances-ad.jpg
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 04:48 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:
I am thinking of moving to canada after law school. what do you guys think?

Not a bad idea. The civilian employment ratio in the U.S. is the lowest it's been since 1980. Canada, on the other hand, hasn't been nearly as hard hit (for a variety of reasons, I think):

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/100709/c100709a.gif
roger

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 04:52 pm
@Irishk,
Canada must be just begging for immigrants, huh?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think this is Brave New World. Most will just accept it.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:08 pm
@roger,
You making fun of my chart, Roger? Smile

You can read more here.

Looks like they did it without massive government stimulus -- impressive, no?