After all of the hullabaloo, who here still thinks soccer/futbol is an absolute bore?

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:51 pm
@hingehead,
PS can I apologise to everyone on this thread for this meaningless crud me and snood are doing?

Can I also say that though I enjoyed Japan's win in the WWC (underdogs and all that) my favourite moment of the final was Amy Wambach's wry smile when she just missed that shot at goal, under high defensive pressure, that could have put the US in front in extra time? That's class.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:56 pm
@hingehead,
I apologize for my contributions to the diversion on this thread, as well.
This will be my final reply to butt, I mean hingehead.

hingehead wrote:

OK Snood, back to square one

snood, keeper of all things good wrote:
hinge, spawn of satan wrote:

I guess it's about your personality whether you want the instant gratification of lots of meaningless scores or the orgasmic but infrequent quality of rare scores

...seems to insert a value judgement where none is really appropriate. Just because someone doesn't like the same things doesn't make their sensibilities any less sophisticated, just different.

No value judgement was intended on the type of personality - I'm a big fan of instant gratification, especially where potato chips are concerned - and am all too well aware of the dangers of putting something off to build expectation. I appreciate the moral lesson you are giving me, and am sorry for the work you will have to do to remind everyone on A2K every time they seem to have made a value judgement.

The initial statement you made, using "orgasmic" and "meaningless" were obvious value judgements, just like the pitiful snark you wrote above was obviously sarcasm. It's not my fault that you are either ignorant of, or in denial of your obvious intentions. Maybe you should talk to a therapist. In any case, I'm through with you on this thread.

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:58 pm
@snood,
I think that this is going quite well
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 05:10 pm
@snood,
Not sarcasm so much as hyperbole.

And 'pitiful snark' isn't a value judgement? And nothing you have said isn't snarky? And I should seek therapy? I wonder if you will hold to finishing now? I will if you will.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 05:21 pm
@hingehead,
sing it: kumbaya ... my lawd!
hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 05:34 pm
@Ragman,
Oh-oh lawd...kumbayah. Damn I have a bad singing voice.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 07:11 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
The games are too long; ...

A regulation game is an hour and a half long. How does that compare to an average NBA, NFL, or MLB game -- start to finish?

Quote:
... the field is too big.

It's just a smidge bigger than a football field.

Quote:
The scoring is too infrequent, like someone else said. It's hard to maintain one's interest when the odds are that you are going to just be watching an hour and a half of fighting for control of the ball and a couple dozen unsuccessful goal attempts. And that's all I ever seem to see.

But the goal attempts are more exciting for that very reason. (Okay, at least they are to me.) How exciting is a given field goal attempt in basketball. Not very, on a relative scale, since there are so many of them made in a game.
Ticomaya

@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I know I have a short attention span. And?

... not that there's anything wrong with that ...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:

At this point I think it is worth reiterating the primary reason for my newfound appreciation of soccer, which can be very simply stated... or, better yet, shown:

My friend, may I present Exhibit B? ....

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2662/wikipediahopesolo.jpg
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 07:32 pm
@Ticomaya,
Soccer: is the paint dry... YET?
hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 08:04 pm
@Ragman,
To make it worse all that running on it makes the grass grow even slower!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 03:44 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Quote:
... the field is too big.

It's just a smidge bigger than a football field.
the WWC field looked huge, so i googled...

Quote:
Length:
minimum 90 m (100 yds)
maximum 120 m (130 yds)

Width:
minimum 45 m (50 yds)
maximum 90 m (100 yds)
(source)
an additional 30 yds x 47 yds is more than a smidge bigger than a reg-size NFL field...
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 08:01 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

snood wrote:
The games are too long; ...

A regulation game is an hour and a half long.

That's right: soccer games aren't long, they just seem long.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 09:49 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
My friend, may I present Exhibit B? ....

Excellent addendum, thank you. It makes what was already a knock-down argument very nearly impenetrable, I daresay.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 02:55 pm
@Shapeless,
I could penetrate it ... given the opportunity.
snood

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 03:05 pm
In a way this discussion reminds me of an old argument I used to have with my brother. In his day, he was a formidable pitcher. In mine, I was a good power forward/center. We were always arguing about which sport was "better"...baseball or basketball. Each of us was pretty passionate in making our points. But then, as now, it's all a matter of preference. Comparing one sport to another is as clearly apples and oranges as it gets.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 03:20 pm
@snood,
If apples = baseball and oranges = basketball then soccer = moldy rotten durian fruit.
Dutchy

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 06:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
No game in the world can beat the "beautiful" game, I should know, having represednted the men in Orange numerous times.
hingehead

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:07 pm
@Dutchy,
Quote:
having represednted the men in Orange numerous times.

In court? Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 07:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
My delicate feminine sensibilities are offended.

No, even I have to admit that Hope Solo is a fine specimen.
0 Replies