After all of the hullabaloo, who here still thinks soccer/futbol is an absolute bore?

hingehead

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:33 am
@snood,
Quote:
.seems to insert a value judgement where none is really appropriate

Only in response to the frequent citing of a lack of scoring as being the reason for football being a bore. Direct your snoot(d)iness in the direction it deserves to be pointed my friend.
sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:37 am
@snood,
Sure, but I don't think "they don't score much" as an argument against soccer makes sense if you like football. They don't score much in football either, it's just that the numbers are different because each score (except for the extra point) is assigned more than one point.

Personally, I'm a fan of all of the above, depending on the team. (Huge football fan, big basketball fan, not-very-active soccer fan but I seem to enjoy it when I watch.) Knowing the players and the finer points definitely helps no matter what it is. I like being able to say "Abby's got good position there, oh perfect Megan has the ball, if anyone can make this happen it's her, c'mon Megan beat that defender, WHOA check out that footwork! and look at that pass! and Abby heads it in!!!!" Or whatever. Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:41 am
@hingehead,
In my opinion, you were being snooty with your adjectives of "meaningless" scoring and "orgasmic" infrequent scoring, and you are having a thin-skinned little snit because I pointed that out. But, no matter. There are those too who are being unfairly judgemental about people who happen to enjoy soccer games.

I was simply saying that people can like different sports without it being a commentary as to whose perceptions are truer, and that it's stupid to make it any more personal by suggesting one camp or the other is somehow more in tune, or smarter, or anything.
Shapeless

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:42 am
@snood,
Quote:
The scoring is too infrequent, like someone else said. It's hard to maintain one's interest when the odds are that you are going to just be watching an hour and a half of fighting for control of the ball and a couple dozen unsuccessful goal attempts.

That used to be my impression to, and for the most part it still is. Even when I was watching the Women's World Cup, I tuned in only in the later portions of each game; as yet I don't have the patience to sit through an entire match.

That said: knowing how infrequently scoring happens, I did find during those World Cup games that when an opportunity to score came along, there was a kind of excited chill. I imagine soccer fans love that quick adrenalin rush, and I'm starting to as well.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:04 am
@snood,
I'm just poking at you without any negativity intended. If you knew me a bit better, you know this would be said with a wry, jocular smile attached.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:04 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I've always figured those who don't find soccer interesting just have a short attention span.

Well, actually, it probably means they don't appreciate the subtleties of the game. Like, I cannot stand to watch more than a few moments of a NASCAR race ... evidently because I don't understand the subtleties of the "sport".

I know I have a short attention span. And?

Doesn't mean I have any interest at all in NASCAR. Apparently a few moments of watching NASCAR is more time then I'm willing to give it.

On the other hand, I love baseball and going to the stadium. SO the short attention span doesn't define my understanding and appreciation of sports.
hingehead

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:39 pm
@snood,
Quote:
In my opinion, you were being snooty with your adjectives of "meaningless" scoring and "orgasmic" infrequent scoring, and you are having a thin-skinned little snit because I pointed that out.

Oh Snood, I wasn't snitting at all, when I said 'my friend' I meant it sincerely. Just glad I didn't suggest that people who don't like soccer have short attention spans or you might really gone to town on my sorry ass. Unless my A2K handle was Tico...

You do realise that I didn't make a call whether liking lots of scoring as opposed to very little was a good or bad thing, just a difference? And I did say 'I guess' in preparation for my statement. You read evil where there is none, and you used to such a happy chappy.
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:49 pm
@hingehead,
Sounds good to me. As far as I'm concerned sports are like religion. Each sport and each religion makes exactly as much sense as the others.
hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 06:06 am
@roger,
You're right Roger, and they demand obeisance on weekends!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 06:29 am
@hingehead,
Oh, Hingehead, I'm the same "chappy" I ever was, and I trust my word comprehension just fine. You want to back away now and deny your initial snottiness, fine by me.
hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 06:31 am
@snood,
Now you're just being a turd. You read something in my words I wasn't saying and you want me to apologise?

Ok I'm sorry I offended you. Cheers.
Shapeless

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 08:46 am
At this point I think it is worth reiterating the primary reason for my newfound appreciation of soccer, which can be very simply stated... or, better yet, shown:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5ZhWM530hOE/TikLBEMG-RI/AAAAAAAAAKg/PtdXXsROYk0/s320/alex+morgan+soccer+us+team.jpg
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 09:04 am
@Shapeless,
Saying this about this WHOLE thread with a Spock-single-eyebrow-lift:
"Fascinating!"

Every time I read a thread about love of sports (and fans obsession), I get another insight about sociology-mankind. Now if only I could put my thoughts together...maybe then that could influence my creative-literary efforts and focus my writing a bit. Nahhh...I'll just flip on TV and watch bad-boy Sox kick some more butt and the let my ambition fade.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 09:32 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Now you're just being a turd. You read something in my words I wasn't saying and you want me to apologise?

Ok I'm sorry I offended you. Cheers.

You're the one having problems understanding simple concepts here. I didn't ask for any apology. Cheers yourself. Turd.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 09:45 am
@Shapeless,

the kid's got potential...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 09:52 am
@tsarstepan,
Soccer ranks up there with watching All Star Bowling, NASCAR, and lawn care shows.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 10:03 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Soccer ranks up there with watching All Star Bowling, NASCAR, and lawn care shows.

Agreed. It's an exceedingly boring sport, with a few tiny glimmers of excitement now and then.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:31 pm
You two obviously have no appreciation for the finer aspects of athleticism. Hmph!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:45 pm
Maybe team sports fulfill some sort of inate need. After all, most of us no longer have our little tribes and clans.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:48 pm
@snood,
OK Snood, back to square one

snood, keeper of all things good wrote:
hinge, spawn of satan wrote:

I guess it's about your personality whether you want the instant gratification of lots of meaningless scores or the orgasmic but infrequent quality of rare scores

...seems to insert a value judgement where none is really appropriate. Just because someone doesn't like the same things doesn't make their sensibilities any less sophisticated, just different.

No value judgement was intended on the type of personality - I'm a big fan of instant gratification, especially where potato chips are concerned - and am all too well aware of the dangers of putting something off to build expectation. I appreciate the moral lesson you are giving me, and am sorry for the work you will have to do to remind everyone on A2K every time they seem to have made a value judgement.