After all of the hullabaloo, who here still thinks soccer/futbol is an absolute bore?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2023 09:14 am
@tsarstepan,
https://imgur.com/wajhJ6O.jpg
SMBC Comics
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2023 12:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
A Major League Soccer player said an opponent made a racist remark during a game
Quote:
A Major League Soccer player allegedly made a racist remark during a game Saturday night, and now the league is investigating.

The match-up between the San Jose Earthquakes and the New York Red Bulls came to a halt after a player said he heard an opposing competitor use a racist epithet on the pitch.

"The racist remark was said. I do not believe it was to me," Earthquakes forward Jeremy Ebobisse said in a post-game press conference without naming the other player.

"Also important to note that racial epithets, language, cannot be hurled in any direction — whether it was to a Black player or not — because that would open any number of doors themselves," Ebobisse added.

MLS said in a statement that it would open an investigation into the incident and that the league has "zero tolerance for abusive and offensive language and takes these allegations seriously."

The Red Bulls echoed that sentiment and said the club would cooperate with the league's investigation.

Earthquakes head coach Luchi Gonzalez said later that he urged Red Bulls head coach Gerhard Struber to remove the player who allegedly made the racist remark from the game.

"I definitely was adamant to suggest the player should not be on the field anymore," Gonzalez said. "I know it's an accusation, but I believe my players. I trust my players. If they say something, they're high-character human beings before professional soccer players, so I would trust that it's true."

The game ultimately ended in a 1-1 tie.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2023 07:50 pm
I thought this was a very clever tweet (if you're into the FIFA Womens World Cup 2023 in Australia)

@adamliaw
OK, if we win this I say we change the Socceroos’ name to the Man-tildas. #Matildas

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2023 06:07 am
I was all over it like everyone else in Australia, but I’ll return to not watching soccer (or Rugby League - except for the GF, AFL - except for the GF, and Rugby - unless we make the WC final)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2023 07:07 am
I'll be watching it. Footbal is the only sport I have any interest in. I'm more voncerned with today's match with Plymouth Argyle.

But I understand we've done OK in the World Cup do far, Spain should be a bit tricky though.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2023 07:32 am
@izzythepush,
We beat Plymouth 2-1.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2023 10:16 am
Anger in Spain after soccer chief kisses a player at Women's World Cup ceremony

Quote:
Spain just won its first ever Women's World Cup, and celebrated with a huge party in Madrid on Monday. But the joy of its victory has been tempered by what happened during the medal ceremony: the head of the Royal Spanish Football Federation planting a kiss on the lips of one of Spain's players.

Now, federation President Luis Rubiales is being roundly criticized, including by Spain's acting prime minister, Pedro Sánchez.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2023 12:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
FIFA opens disciplinary proceedings against Spain's soccer chief after World Cup kiss
https://imgur.com/zb68q0I.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2023 12:44 pm
Dozens of Spanish women's national team footballers no longer want to play in international matches under the current leadership of their national federation led by Luis Rubiales. This is according to a joint statement by the players published by their union Futpro in the evening. Among the 81 signatories was the entire 23-strong team of the world champions.

Spain women’s football team will refuse to play until Luis Rubiales resigns
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2023 03:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
https://imgur.com/CQtnuqI.jpg
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2023 06:58 am
Fifa suspends Luis Rubiales from all football-related activity over Hermoso kiss
Quote:
A Fifa statement said: “The chairman of the Fifa Disciplinary Committee, Jorge Ivan Palacio (Colombia), in use of the powers granted by article 51 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code (FDC), has decided today to provisionally suspend Mr. Luis Rubiales from all football-related activities at national and international level.

“This suspension, which will be effective as of today, is for an initial period of 90 days, pending the disciplinary proceedings opened against Mr. Luis Rubiales on Thursday, August 24.

“Likewise, the chairman of the Fifa Disciplinary Committee and in order to preserve, among other factors, the fundamental rights of the national soccer team player Ms. Jennifer Hermoso and the good order of the disciplinary proceedings before this disciplinary body, has issued two additional directives (article 7 FDC) by which he orders Mr. Luis Rubiales to refrain, through himself or third parties, from contacting or attempting to contact the professional player of the Spanish national football team Ms. Jennifer Hermoso or her close environment. Likewise, the RFEF and its officials or employees, directly or through third parties, are ordered to refrain from contacting the professional player of the Spanish national team Ms. Jennifer Hermoso and her close environment.

“The decision adopted by the chairman of the Fifa Disciplinary Committee has been communicated today to Mr Luis Rubiales, the RFEF and Uefa for due compliance.”
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2023 07:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,

it's only a matter of time before he resigns...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2023 10:12 pm
The small thrills of a half-arsed fan https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66624468
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2023 09:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
UPDATE.
Vilda out as Spain boss in Rubiales unsolicited kiss fallout
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2023 09:53 am
Interesting PLOT TWIST!
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2023 12:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Love it! As he said at the end, “Couldn’t care less”.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2023 01:10 pm
@Ragman,
Opposite what he said:

The Republic of Ireland men's national football team (Irish: Foireann peile náisiúnta Phoblacht na hÉireann) represents the Republic of Ireland in men's international football. It is governed by the Football Association of Ireland (FAI).
The football clubs are called "Football Clubs".

In Northern Ireland (Ulster) association football is referred to as 'football' while Gaelic football is usually referred to as 'Gaelic'. (In Ireland, Gaelic football is mainly called "Gaelic football".)
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2023 01:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The global viewing figures for The Superbowl were dwarfed by a Manchester derby.

That says it all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2023 05:11 am
Marshall Islands is the last country on earth without a national football team.

That will be changed by an Englishman with the target, however long it may take, for the nation of 60,000 to achieve Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) membership - before ultimately contesting global fixtures.

BBC
hingehead

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2023 01:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I used to work for the National Centre or Development Studies ( in RSPACS at ANU) creating a bibliography of social and economic development in Pacific island nations. The thing that struck me the most about the Marshall Islands back then? That the chief cause of death was falling coconuts.
0 Replies