After all of the hullabaloo, who here still thinks soccer/futbol is an absolute bore?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 03:14 am
@hingehead,
Not in Latvia, no.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 07:04 am
In protest against the World Cup in Qatar, a group in Paris is making special remote controls that can be used to switch off many different TV sets.
Hobbyists showed "Le Parisien" how they mount the small transmitters called "TV-B-Gone".
"The idea is not to make political decisions on the backs of the fans or to annoy them," tinkerer Dan Geiselhart told "Le Parisien". "Rather, it's about making a statement and saying that you can love football, but you can also say that there are some things wrong with this World Cup."

The hobbyists' pirate remote control is based on a model by the well-known hacker and inventor Mitch Altmann. He is one of the early developers of virtual reality devices and published building instructions for his "TV-B-Gone" remote control almost twenty years ago. The model is smaller than a regular remote control and can be worn on the waistband of trousers, for example.

According to the media report by "Le Parisien", it should make it possible to deactivate TVs of various brands at a distance of up to 45 metres. Switching off TV sets is the only function of the small black box.

Report and video in Le Parisien: VIDÉO. Coupe du monde : ils veulent éteindre les télés des bars avec une télécommande pirate
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 11:52 am
The European Parliament passed the resolution urging FIFA to help compensate the families of workers who died in Qatar during preparations for the World Cup.

Press release: World Cup in Qatar: FIFA should help compensate families of dead migrant workers
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 04:39 pm
We were lucky, the US was the stronger side.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 08:41 am
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have been among the best-earning footballers in the world for years. But the superstars are getting competition.

The World’s Highest-Paid Soccer Football Players 2022
Quote:
#1. $128 mil
Kylian Mbappé
ON-FIELD: $110 mil • OFF-FIELD: $18 mil | AGE: 23
[...]

#2. $120 mil
Lionel Messi
ON-FIELD: $65 mil • OFF-FIELD: $55 mil | AGE: 35
[...]

#3. $100 mil
Cristiano Ronaldo
ON-FIELD: $40 mil • OFF-FIELD: $60 mil | AGE: 37
[...]

#4. $87 mil
Neymar Jr.
ON-FIELD: $55 mil • OFF-FIELD: $32 mil | AGE: 30
[...]

#5. $53 mil
Mohamed Salah
ON-FIELD: $35 mil • OFF-FIELD: $18 mil | AGE: 30
[...]

#6. $39 mil
Erling Haaland
ON-FIELD: $35 mil • OFF-FIELD: $4 mil | AGE: 22
[...]

#7. $35 mil
Robert Lewandowski
ON-FIELD: $27 mil • OFF-FIELD: $8 mil | AGE: 34
[...]

#8. $31 mil
Eden Hazard
ON-FIELD: $27 mil • OFF-FIELD: $4 mil | AGE: 31
[...]

#9. 30 mil
Andrés Iniesta
ON-FIELD: $25 mil • OFF-FIELD: $5 mil | AGE: 38
[...]

#10. $29 mil
Kevin De Bruyne
ON-FIELD: $25 mil • OFF-FIELD: $4 mil | AGE: 31
[...]

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 01:21 pm
Police used water cannons to disperse crowds in Belgium's capital after the mood turned sour during the country's shock defeat to Morocco today. Rioters smashed shop windows, threw fireworks, and torched vehicles.
Violence also erupted in Belgium's largest city Antwerp.

In Rotterdam in the neighbouring Netherlands riot officers clashed with a group of 500 football supporters who pelted them with fireworks and glass.
Police also reported unrest in The Hague and the capital Amsterdam where a car was set alight.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 08:04 pm
I've been watching the World Cup, because it's the World Cup. But yes. Have tried a number of times, but just don't see the appeal of this game. It's sooooooooooooo slow. I've been recording the games overnight. I generally get through 15 to 20 minutes, then hit the fast forward button. Watch the rest at 6x or 12x and only go to normal speed when there's a goal. Couldn't get through it otherwise.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2022 02:07 am
@Wilso,
Well don't.

Noones forcing you to watch it.

It's the only sport that interests me.

I don't watch other sports because they're so bloody boring, regardless of what the event is.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 08:30 am
I am still hungover.

The best part of the match was the look Gareth Bale's face.

I don't like him, Southampton made him the star he is today and he's not shown the club any recognition at all.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 08:39 am
@izzythepush,
Don't understand posts like the one you just replied to. I can't stand dressage and wouldn't waste a second of my fukkin life watching it. Having said that, I've just wasted twenty seconds writing this.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:06 am
@lmur,
I know, there are threads on American Football, baseball and basketball that I pay no attention to.

If people enjoy something without harming anyone else then fair play.

This has been a really good World Cup, lots of surprises, my highlight was Morocco's 2-0 victory over Belgium.

It was really good to watch the looks on the fan's faces, even more satifying than that on Bale's face last night.

We will be lucky to progress past the Quarter finals, assuming we beat Senegal, because it will most likely be France or Argentina, and the French are on top form right now.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 09:10 am
@izzythepush,
My daughter in law is Brazilian so when England do get knocked out we'll be able to cheer on the winners.

During the South African World Cup, the school I worked at had a sweepstake.

A Scottish teacher drew England out of the hat before me and complained bitterly about it, offering to swap with anyone else.

I was next and I drew Brazil, and I kept it, I'm not bloody stupid, Brazil won. England didn't.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 09:23 am
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/spacetime_soccer.png
Source
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 09:28 am
@tsarstepan,
There's an old joke that says the only way to tell the difference between a man and a woman wearing a beard is by asking them to explain the offside rule.

Probably doesn't work so well over there.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 02:35 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

I've been watching the World Cup, because it's the World Cup. But yes. Have tried a number of times, but just don't see the appeal of this game. It's sooooooooooooo slow. I've been recording the games overnight. I generally get through 15 to 20 minutes, then hit the fast forward button. Watch the rest at 6x or 12x and only go to normal speed when there's a goal. Couldn't get through it otherwise.

There are apps that show highlights of the games. That is what I have been doing. Soccer is not so boring if you watch ten minutes of highlights per game. Plus you don't have to watch players rolling on the ground "in agony" when they are barely touched.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 03:18 pm
@NealNealNeal,
American football isn't so boring if you don't watch any of it at all.

Still waiting for you to provide evidence of Biden begging the Iranians to increase oil production.

You just keep bearing false witness.

No football player is writhing around in pretend agony, if you look at the replays you can seen the damage done.

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 03:25 pm
@lmur,
lmur wrote:

Don't understand posts like the one you just replied to. I can't stand dressage and wouldn't waste a second of my fukkin life watching it. Having said that, I've just wasted twenty seconds writing this.

What a bunch of wallflowers you lot are. Just like soccer players. As per the post that deleted because of some weak assed sensibilities of the soccer supporters. The name of the thread is
“After all of the hullabaloo, who here still thinks soccer/futbol is an absolute bore?” It’s as boring as watching paint dry. If one wants to see soccer skills, you’d watch a Nike ad.

So create a supporters thread and I’ll ignore it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 03:34 pm
[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=soccer+players+taking+dives[/youtube]
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 04:34 pm
@Wilso,
You've not posted it right but you're saying that all those dives are from the current World Cup?

0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 04:41 pm
@Wilso,
I have seen fake dives that are worse.
0 Replies