After all of the hullabaloo, who here still thinks soccer/futbol is an absolute bore?

Wankler

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2021 03:49 pm
I can't really stomach watching soccer. There's just not enough scoring for me. If I watch a 90 minute sporting event that ends in a 0-0 tie I feel like I've wasted my time. I know a lot of people have strong feelings about the game, but it's just not my cup of tea.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2021 01:11 pm
@Wankler,
Wankler wrote:
I can't really stomach watching soccer. There's just not enough scoring for me. If I watch a 90 minute sporting event that ends in a 0-0 tie I feel like I've wasted my time. I know a lot of people have strong feelings about the game, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I feel the same way about golf, cricket, and NASCAR. I think if I understood racing more, I might appreciate the subtleties of a race. I've played soccer my entire life, so I understand it as a sport, and appreciate a well-played match, even if no goals are scored.
engineer

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2021 06:00 am
@Ticomaya,
Hi Ticomaya, long time no see! Yes, every time there is an attack, you can feel the excitement. I think the rarity of goals makes each one so much more dramatic.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2021 07:36 am
I think of it as hockey -- just slower, on grass, and with more players.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2021 08:59 am
@George,
On Abuzz, you were called soccergeorge. You just may be a bit biased.
George

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2021 05:52 am
@roger,
Wow, I can't believe you remember that!
https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/dimension=328x10000:format=png/path/s6d54c624f88c95ec/image/i6a049b4dd2001dd6/version/1491034909/mascot-1994-striker.png
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2021 12:19 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2021 01:27 pm
@tsarstepan,

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 09:10 am
@tsarstepan,

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 01:06 pm
Soccer is boring because of a lack of scoring, however, arena soccer is exciting because of the opposite.

I imagine baseball is also boring compared to cricket, but with cricket you almost have to be born into it to understand the damn rules.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 01:27 pm
@coluber2001,
I don't understand Ametican football at all.

Football is exciting because the action is constant and changes often.

A scoreless draw can be incredibly tense and exciting.

There is a reason why football is the number one sport in the world.

Baseball is very similar to Rounders which is a game played by kids at primary schools but not secondary ones.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:22 am
@izzythepush,
I think soccer it's probably the best participation group sport, but it has much to be desired as a spectator sport.

Rugby sevens is more fun than watching regular rugby, which usually consists of the players being in a big pile.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:27 am
@coluber2001,
I think it's the best spectator sport. It is certainly the most popular spectator sport in the World.

My father played rugby and suffered catastrophic injuries as a result.

I wasn't going to let that happen to me. I played so badly that I was never going to be picked for any team, just put into the bottom sports group so I could muck about with my mates.

I was never any good at football, but I could have been a half decent rugby player if I wanted.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 11:56 am
@izzythepush,
The whole scoring of soccer is somewhat similar to a pitcher's duel in baseball. A pitcher's duel occurs when both starting pitchers in a game restrict the hitters to few hits and very few or no runs. It's exciting to watch and usually ends when relief pitchers are brought in and blow the game.

As exciting as a pitcher's duel is, it doesn't happen often, fortunately, because otherwise it would be become overwhelmingly boring to watch. Baseball commissioners have a way of adjusting rules in order to keep a better balance of pictures and hitters. For one, they can adjust the strike zone to make it harder or easier for batters to get a hit. Or they can raise or lower the pitcher's mound.

Baseball doesn't have a lot of activity like American football and it depends on loyal fans of a particular team. It's difficult to watch a game with two teams you're not interested in. This is just the opposite of American football, which it's generally more active and more interesting to watch and, therefore, has become more popular than baseball.

That and the insanely inflated salaries of professional baseball players has raised the price of seats so high as to put the future of baseball in danger.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 01:17 pm
@coluber2001,
Cricket goes on and on. In a test match it can take days to work out who is winning.

There are shorter versions, 1 day matches 20/20 games with ea h side bowling 20 overs. That's six balls in an over.

To be honest though I wouldn't bother.
hingehead

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 07:10 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
his is just the opposite of American football, which it's generally more active and more interesting to watch

This always gets me about NFL. 11 minutes of actual playing time in a 3 hour game

NRL on the other hand is 80 minutes of playing time and the clock stops with any stoppages.

I think we rationalise what's good about the sports we like to watch, but really it's just what we're used to.
margo

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:47 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Cricket goes on and on. In a test match it can take days to work out who is winning.

The fourth test, Australia vs England, went for 5 days (some rain affected) and at the end it was a draw! It was the only hard fought test of the series. The others were mostly lost in 3 days, with Australia winning 4 - 0
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 02:49 am
@margo,
Unfortunately our cricket side has been infested with racist Yorkshire scum.
margo

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 05:09 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Unfortunately our cricket side has been infested with racist Yorkshire scum.

Not sure it was "racist Yorkshire scum" that caused them to lose so spectacularly. I'd be more inclined to query selection decisions and general ineptness.

Who decided to "rest" Jimmy Adams, the most consistent of the bowlers, for the last match. Rest him for what? The flight home. It was the LAST game.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2022 01:36 am
@margo,
You are so much better at cricket well done.

We should stop playing it and then they can show something else on the telly.

Like I said earlier it's not worth the bother.

I don't know who Jimmy Adams is but he should be rested 24/7.
0 Replies