Mel Gibson, Racist, Sexist, and Violent--Has He Gone Too Far?

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:25 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

snood wrote:

chai2:

A relevant question would have been "How would your feelings been different about seeing Shaft if the actor had recently been exposed as a woman-beater?"

Would have made no difference.

simple as that.

What did people use for inspiration in all the years prior to motion pictures/professional plays snood?

I just find reality more inspirational than made up stories.

I enjoy reading novels, and sometimes get a strong message. But I'm not inspired to act like a person in a fictional tale.

I understand that the part played by an actor, and the person who works as an actor, are 2 separate things, not to be confused with each other.

Damn, chai2. I meant it would have been a more relevant question for you to ask me than the one you asked...

Y'know what? I feel like we are talking past each other. At least I sure don't feel like there are clear messages being sent and received. So, let's leave it at this - you and I don't see this matter the same way. And grownups can agree to disagree.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:26 pm
heard this song on the way home, and had to think of mel....

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:44 pm
@chai2,
Yeah... I can see where you had to.....
0 Replies

Primotivo

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:57 pm
I'm convinced these tapes are fake. Mel deserves an Oscar and is now my favorite actor hands down. I bet he gets more fans from these tapes. They are gold!

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:00 pm
@Primotivo,
Primotivo wrote:

I'm convinced these tapes are fake. Mel deserves an Oscar and is now my favorite actor hands down. I bet he gets more fans from these tapes. They are gold!

So, what gave it away? No references to his movies? No Aussie accent? I want to be enlightened too!
Primotivo

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:14 pm
@snood,
Listen to the audio of this broad and Mel. This dumb broad's voice is very clear while my idol Mel seemed murky and far away.

Finally ... the other side of the story ...

Quote:
The troubled state of his relationship with girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva was not lost on Mel Gibson. "He realized how unhealthy the relationship was and recognized that they were in a bad place and he was getting his buttons pushed," a friend tells PEOPLE.

So, earlier this year, the actor sought therapy.

Gibson, the pal says, "wanted to figure out how to extricate himself from this unhealthy relationship peacefully and calmly. Which is what he did."

Indeed, the couple's split around March appeared smooth on the surface, and in May the two signed a custody settlement for their 8-month-old daughter, Lucia.

Gibson's lawyer Stephen Kolodny previously described the deal as "very generous support payments, joint custody and eventually 50/50 custody of Lucia," while the Russian singer claimed that payments have since dried up.

But over the last few weeks, things have imploded in a very public way, with Gibson, 54, and Grigorieva, 40, locked in a bitter custody dispute and the superstar facing domestic abuse allegations and the fallout from leaked audiotapes in which Gibson berates and threatens Grigorieva during profane rants.

A source close to the case claims the tapes were recorded in February on the heels of a heated exchange in January.

Both sides agree they argued in January but differ on what exactly transpired. Grigorieva claims Gibson punched her in the face "more than once," breaking a tooth and knocking out a veneer. Another Gibson source says the actor only "tried to stop [Oskana] from shaking their baby like a ragdoll" during the altercation.

And how Gibson is holding up amidst both the public and private drama? The actor is still in therapy and, says the friend: "He's coping as well as can be expected."
Gargamel

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:55 pm
@Primotivo,
Thanks, Primo! I was wondering what Mel's concubine thought of the matter. Now I know, and am a better person for it.

Also, good luck with the DVD release of Passion of the Tranny. I'm sure you'll soon be a household name in that particular niche of the erotic film industry.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:01 pm
It does seem that the tapes might be admissible in court.

Quote:
Normally, California law requires two-party consent for recording phone conversations, and it seems Grigorieva may have recorded Gibson without his knowledge. But as criminal defense attorney Mark Geragos explains, even without his consent, there is still a chance the recordings could make it into evidence. “Generally there’s a presumption that they are not admissible,” says Geragos, who has represented Michael Jackson and Winona Ryder. “However, there is an exception under [penal code] 633.5, which [states that] in certain types of cases, they can be admissible. But that is a factual inquiry. A judge would have to rule on that.” The exception, he explains, only comes into play in “kidnapping, bribery, extortion, and crimes involving threats of violence.” Essentially, that means it’s up to Grigorieva’s legal team to convince a judge that the infamous rants should be admitted. But, according to defense attorney James E. Blatt, that shouldn’t be too difficult. “[The tapes] will be admissible,” he says. “If someone is calling you to to say, ‘I’m going to bury you in a rose garden, and I have the ability to do that,’ I think that’s a reasonable inference of a criminal threat.” And Gibson’s rant might fit under another exception to the penal code: annoying phone calls. “I think it’s pretty clear that most people would consider these phone calls to be annoying,” Blatt says. “That’s an understatement.”
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/14/mel-gibson-tapes-admissible/
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:55 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Sorry Wayne - there is another poster I'm not familiar with named William and I was reading something by him right before I answered your post.

In what way would you consider his words and actions prejudiced but not racist?

He is making associations based on the behaviors of particular members of a certain race. I would consider that to be prejudice.
I have seen no evidence of him persecuting anyone on the basis of race, which would constitute racism.
I think it is an error to fail in separating these 2 behaviors, as the cause and solutions are quite different. Although neither is acceptible.
aidan

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:08 pm
@wayne,
I understand what you're saying and can't disagree.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:44 pm
@chai2,
How does: 'I would want to know' translate to 'I have the right to know'?

Obviously I want to know a lot of things - that's why I read the newspaper.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:48 pm

U n Will Rogers
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 12:57 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Have your feelings about Gibson changed as a result of these revelations? Would you still want to see or support his movies?

No change in any revelations...and why should their be? Did Catholics stop going to church, when all the pedophile priests were arrested?
dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:14 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

What if the tape is played before a judge, and Gibson's defense is that he was doing an improvisational acting exercise for a remake of "Raging Bull" which his production company is working on?

(I am sorry if this sounds callous. Domestic violence is a serious crime. I am just wondering if such a legal strategy would be used.)

I imagine there are few legal strategies which would not be used.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:11 am
@dlowan,
I probably should avoid posting every idle thought that crosses my mind.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:00 am
Quote:
Did Someone Mess With Mel Gibson's Audio Recordings?
(By SHEILA MARIKAR and LUCHINA FISHER, ABC News, July 15, 2010)

Every day this week has come with a new, expletive-laced rant from Mel Gibson.

In the latest recording released by RadarOnline, he berates ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva, the mother of their 8-month-old child, for not giving him oral sex and screams that he'll burn their house down.

"You're dishonest and you're f **ked up!," he growled. "So you stay the f **k away from me! Take care of your f **king son and I better have my daughter!"

But is it possible his rants aren't quite what they seem?

Grigorieva denied she released the tapes. Now some question their integrity. Forensic audio and video experts examined the recordings for HollywoodLife.com and believe someone tampered with them, editing the audio, removing parts of conversation and piecing together phrases to make the recordings sound real.

"One of the things that you have to know is that nobody at this point can authenticate it's Mel's voice -- not 100 percent," Bonnie Fuller, editor of HollywoodLife.com, said on "Good Morning America" today. "There are words that are edited out, there are spaces, there are gaps."

"I believe these are professionally done. I think she had help," said forensic audio expert Arlo West. "She clearly was speaking into what we call a large diaphragm microphone. Her voice is very well engineered. She sounds great."

Still, representatives for Gibson have yet to comment on the tapes. And in the court of public opinion, they've done their damage. It's unlikely Gibson will be able to win custody of 8-month-old Lucia in their wake.

"As a lawyer, if Mr. Gibson were my client, I would tell him to back off from the custody fight right now," said Debra Opri, a family law attorney based in California. "Don't even fight it, because that judge can take hold of your life and say, 'You're going to rehab, you're going to get anger management treatment, you're going to do all these things because the child's life is in danger.' He should really remove himself from the arena and say she can have 100 percent custody."

Different rules apply in the criminal sphere. Opri speculated that because of the media glare on the case, police will press domestic violence charges against Gibson. But because California is a two-party state -- the law requires that both parties consent to the recording of a conversation -- it's unlikely Grigorieva's recorded phone calls will appear in court.

"In a criminal investigation, there is no way those tapes are ever going to get into evidence," she said.
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:59 am
@Miller,
Quote:
when all the pedophile priests were arrested?

Some did and any good parents would stop their young children from being alone with any priest.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:40 am
When I hear on the audio that Mel was screaming and panting as he went off on Oksana. He was basically saying that he's Mel Gibson, he makes a ton of money that he's sharing with her and he's left his wife to have a child with her. He was saying that he comes home and he thinks he should get blown once in a while. She falls asleep in the bed that she never makes and she's not blowing him. I know a lot of guys like that who come home to a mess of a house after working their balls off. The wife does everything to avoid having sex and they feign sleep after doing nothing all day. I think that's understandable that guys would get upset about that.
I think Mel has some anger issues and is a maniac and he's gone berserk but I get it. I know lots of guys in this situation but you don't punch her in the face... allegedly. What pisses me off is that the women are never too tired to go out shopping but they're always too tired to have sex. She'll come home with four bags from Bloomingdale's with her feet bloody from hauling them through the parking lot but she's too tired for sex…go figure.

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:42 am
@Primotivo,
Primotivo wrote:

Listen to the audio of this broad and Mel. This dumb broad's voice is very clear while my idol Mel seemed murky and far away.

If one is using a recording device that attaches to the phone then, of course, the one side of the conversation will be clear while the other sides is not since it is coming from the phone receiver. It's not like it's being wire tapped. Considering the capability of technology today to determine if a person's voice is indeed a person's real voice who would be dumb enough to try to fake that?

I am convinced that's him on those recordings. I have to say it's pretty disgusting stuff.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:53 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Quote:
Did Someone Mess With Mel Gibson's Audio Recordings?
(By SHEILA MARIKAR and LUCHINA FISHER, ABC News, July 15, 2010)

..............Grigorieva denied she released the tapes. Now some question their integrity. Forensic audio and video experts examined the recordings for HollywoodLife.com and believe someone tampered with them, editing the audio, removing parts of conversation and piecing together phrases to make the recordings sound real.

"One of the things that you have to know is that nobody at this point can authenticate it's Mel's voice -- not 100 percent," Bonnie Fuller, editor of HollywoodLife.com, said on "Good Morning America" today. "There are words that are edited out, there are spaces, there are gaps."

"I believe these are professionally done. I think she had help," said forensic audio expert Arlo West. "She clearly was speaking into what we call a large diaphragm microphone. Her voice is very well engineered. She sounds great."

Editing conversations to make them say what you want them to say is nowhere as easy as some seem to think. When we speak there is a certain cadence or rhythm to our words when used in sentences. It is extremely difficult to make a conversation say what you want it to say without noticing something is off in the timing. Timing, word inflections, breathing, etc., all play a part and to expertly "edit" is pretty tough. It might not be that easy for us amateurs to figure out but for the experts it's pretty much a piece of cake from what I understand. I sure didn't hear anything in those tapes I'd think was editing, but then again, I am not an expert either.

If she had expert help they sure weren't expert enough to make sure that the conversation (both sides) had the same quality. I think this is just what it appears to be. He was being violent and threatening and she taped the conversations for proof.

Now, her being extremely calm could be because she knew she was taping them and that would, of course, tend to sway others to her side somewhat.

Not sure how I got my post in the quote box but couldn't figure out how to get it out...............sorry about that.

0 Replies