Mel Gibson, Racist, Sexist, and Violent--Has He Gone Too Far?

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:31 pm
chai2:

Quote:
BTW, no actor has ever influenced my life, based on parts they played.. That would say something very said about me if I could be influenced that easily by someone, who by the definition of their profession, is Acting.

A bold statement.

I don't think it's necessarily"sad" if some actor has some influence over a person. I think it's natural. A couple of for instances...

When young girls first see strong women portrayed in film (my sister was very moved by Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Alien - my sister later became a Marine) , I think it can have a very real effect. When I saw Richard Roundtree in Shaft when I was 17, I had never seen a Black Man portrayed as a police detective who talked **** to white men, AND got the girls. I'm sure at the very least it had the effect of making me walk with my head a little higher for a while, and probably more than that. I know the tsunami of pride that Bruce Lee caused to sweep through the Asian-American community when he made it big.

Inspiration. Stimulation of thought. these are some good types of influence I think actors (not to mention other artists) can have. And there are, of course bad influences possible.

So I don't think it's "sad" if someone is influenced by an actor. I think it's sad if someone thinks themselves so above or immune to any such influence, that they think others "sad" for being influenced.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:38 pm
@Jeremiah,
Yeah, I guess it was alright for mel to knock out her teeth. Blame the victim.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:09 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
again, not meaning in any way to defend mel, but, what business is it of ours how he feels about anything?

Just as much business as it is yours to wonder if it's our business, I guess. <shrug>

(I don't know why we should care what anyone thinks, you, him or me)
roger

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:24 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I doubt the tapes will be admissible in court, because they were phone conversations taped without his knowledge. On the phone, you do have an expectation of privacy.

I'm pretty sure they would be, if they were otherwise relevant. Federal law only requires the consent of one person. State laws, as usual, vary.
firefly

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:10 pm
@roger,
California requires that both parties consent to the recording of telephone conversations.

Quote:

California
Although California is a two-party state, it is also legal to record a conversation if you include a beep on the recorder and for the parties to hear.

California prohibits telephone monitoring or recording, including the use of information obtained through interception unless all parties to the conversation consent (California Penal Code Sections 631 & 632). There is no statutory business telephone exception and the relevant case law all but excludes this possibility. California courts have recognized "implied" consent as being sufficient to satisfy the statute where one party has expressly agreed to the taping and the other continues the conversation after having been informed that the call is being recorded. Violation is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500, imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. A civil plaintiff may recover the greater of $3,000 or three times the amount of any actual damages sustained.
http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm#Evidentiary Issues

Somehow I doubt she told Gibson she was recording him. And there was no beep on the recordings to alert him to what she was doing. So the tapes probably aren't admissible as evidence in court.

But I heard that the police want to review them anyway. Gibson does threaten her on those tapes. She does have reason to be frightened of him.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:29 pm

He's very emotional.
wayne

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:55 pm
I'll go along with Whoopi's opinion that Mel is a bonehead. We all know his track record of alcoholism.
I don't think that is an excuse for bad behavior, although hopefully this will motivate him to actually do something about the problem, admittedly too late to save his career.
It seems a bit over the top to label someone as racist on the basis of the information given by the dirty laundry department of the press. Most of us have our own issues with prejudice to deal with, and that is quite different than being racist. Untreated alcoholism coupled with issues of prejudice can produce some very ugly behaviors, but that doesn't necessarily constitute racism. Whoopi Goldberg obviously has a good reason to stand up for Mel, she doesn't need the money or the press.
One thing is certain, we will never know the whole story of the incident, or much else about the personal lives of Mel and his ex-wife other than what the laundry hangers decide suits thier purpose best ( making $ ).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:02 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
I'll go along with Whoopi's opinion that Mel is a bonehead. We all know his track record of alcoholism.
I don't think that is an excuse for bad behavior, although hopefully this will motivate him to actually do something
about the problem,

admittedly too late to save his career.
He has been a multi-centimillionaire (according the news reports) for years now.
Its too late to worry about whether his career will be successful.

David
wayne

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, he's wealthy, but forever disgraced. Which is obviously why the tape went straight to the press.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and this one knew exactly what she was doing.
Payback?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:15 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
Yes, he's wealthy, but forever disgraced.
Maybe; some people care about that.

wayne wrote:
Which is obviously why the tape went straight to the press.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,
He shoud know that.

wayne wrote:
and this one knew exactly what she was doing.
Payback?
Sure.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:16 am

Its hard to believe that these celebrities
r too stingy to hire drivers and thay drive themselves.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:22 am
Upon review of the evidence my verdict is BONEHEAD.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
He's very emotional.

You think so? I think he's one cool customer myself- the epitome of calm, cool and collected Laughing Laughing Laughing

This isn't a funny situation - but that was funny David.
William said:
Quote:
I''ll go along with Whoopi's opinion that Mel is a bonehead. We all know his track record of alcoholism.
I don't think that is an excuse for bad behavior, although hopefully this will motivate him to actually do something about the problem, admittedly too late to save his career.
It seems a bit over the top to label someone as racist on the basis of the information given by the dirty laundry department of the press. Most of us have our own issues with prejudice to deal with, and that is quite different than being racist. Untreated alcoholism coupled with issues of prejudice can produce some very ugly behaviors, but that doesn't necessarily constitute racism. Whoopi Goldberg obviously has a good reason to stand up for Mel, she doesn't need the money or the press.
One thing is certain, we will never know the whole story of the incident, or much else about the personal lives of Mel and his ex-wife other than what the laundry hangers decide suits thier purpose best ( making $ ).

William - I've been around many people when they're drunk and their choice of insult doesn't automatically revert to things like, 'You deserve to be raped by a pack of n*****.
What a strange thing for someone who doesn't have racist thoughts to say.
Do you picture black people running in packs?
Do you picture them running in packs and raping people?
Probably not - because you're probably not racist.
But anyone who would insert a person of a specific race into their own sick fantasy of what they think should happen to a person they're upset with - I'd say that constitutes a racist.
Whoopie probably didn't cotton onto it because Mel never came out and said to her, as he watched her black child eat a cookie, 'I can picture that boy growing up, running in a pack with a bunch of other n***** and raping white women.

He's sickening and sick. And a racist. I have no doubt in my mind after this tirade and the words and images he chose.

And **** like this should be exposed. I'm glad she exposed it.
roger

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:18 am
@aidan,
Good point.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

chai2 wrote:
again, not meaning in any way to defend mel, but, what business is it of ours how he feels about anything?

Just as much business as it is yours to wonder if it's our business, I guess. <shrug>

(I don't know why we should care what anyone thinks, you, him or me)

Excellent point Robert.

However, wondering about something is I believe natural in humans.
Making it our business is something else.

Caring about what some people think is wise. (at least that's what I think)

Making it our business, well, that is something else.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:13 am
@aidan,
Almost missed your post, you got the name wrong.
I won't defend Mel, he doesn't deserve it, but the remarks seem more indicative of prejudice than racism. They are 2 different things and should be treated as such. Crying racism every time prejudice occurs only serves to confuse the issue and fails to solve either problem.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:32 am
@firefly,
Quote:
But I heard that the police want to review them anyway. Gibson does threaten her on those tapes. She does have reason to be frightened of him.

You do not attack a man in public in this manner if you fear what his would do!!!!!!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:37 am
@wayne,
I remember having a friend once tell me never allow your wife or girlfriend to know anything that could cause you a problem in the future such as anything you are hiding from the IRS.

His position was that anything she is allow to know that could harm you, she will used as a weapon if your break up with her.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:55 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

chai2:

Quote:
BTW, no actor has ever influenced my life, based on parts they played.. That would say something very said about me if I could be influenced that easily by someone, who by the definition of their profession, is Acting.

A bold statement.

I don't think it's necessarily"sad" if some actor has some influence over a person. I think it's natural. A couple of for instances...

So I don't think it's "sad" if someone is influenced by an actor. I think it's sad if someone thinks themselves so above or immune to any such influence, that they think others "sad" for being influenced.

Please reread my statement Snood, and what you extrapolated from it.

I clearly said it would say something sad about ME.

When originally writing that, I knowingly said it would be say something sad about ME, and did not say it would be sad for someone else.

That is because I believe each person needs to decide for themselves what inspires them.

A bold statement? Well yes, I suppose it is. I'm a bold person. I don't take my inspiration from someone who is merely the instrument for playing a part that was written by someone else, based on another person, directed by yet another, etc.

Oh, watching the parts actors have played have inspired me to find out more about the actual person their role was based on. It's inspired me to find out the actual truth of what went on, who that person was.

But to surmise that the actor themselves must share those qualities is something else.
If Richard Roundtree had not played the part of Shaft, but instead was played by (I don't know, I'm just randomly reaching in a bag), Red Foxx, would you have felt the same about Roundtree, or Foxx?

Gibson's JOB is to act like the person the script and director call for. That's not the person he is.

Every so often, when things get really tough for me, I think about this guy (I'll have to find his name) who got lost in Antarctica, lost most of his fingers and face, and other body parts, but kept putting one foot in front of the other, envisioning his wife, Peach, for inspiration.
If they made that into a movie, it wouldn't make me think any more or less about Brad Pitt, or whoever played the part.

This explorer might have been a racist, but from what I know of him, he didn't act it out while staying alive.

One other thing.

It's been mentioned by several people that they believe mel has to want to get better.
What if he is incapable of that now.

Don't people get committed against their will every day?
Aren't people assigned guardians because they can no longer make decisions on their own?

Firefly, 2006 is not ancient history. My belief is that counts as a recent event, one that may have been at the cusp when a person could make decisions for themselves, and when they could not.

I'm not defending the man.
I'm not condemning him yet either.

What concerns me is that is seems that some find it more important to announce they won't watch any more of his movies....as if he is ever going to make any more. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

I'm going to announce right now that I will never watch another movie that has Sandra Bullock in it. Not because of who she is, but because I don't enjoy watching her act.

What if mel drops dead today, they do an autopsy, and find a whatis pressing on his whosits gland? What if they find his brain has been damaged to the point that probably prior to 2004 his judgement as far as public behavior was compromised?

Again, maybe gibson is a total jerk. But I wonder if any of us right now where physically in his body, if we would be acting the same way.

It's facinating to me that posters who under other circumstances look for the needle in the haystack as far as "why billy is acting up and mommy can't understand....maybe it has something to do with ADD or depression, anxiety, inability to appropriately express themselves, or one of a hundred other 'maybes' (maybe he isn't getting enough niacin, or isn't eating enough complex carbohydrates)", but aren't exploring in more depth "I wonder if there is something physically/mentally wrong with this man that can be worked on?"

If proof that he is in full control of his decisions is based on the sole fact that "no one in hollywood as stepped up and defended him, saying he was not like this 30 years ago", I think he's being short changed.

The people in hollywood that could say something might be looking out for their best interests, or they may be saving their sympathy and support for the favorite actor at the moment. I don't know.

That's the point. I don't know. But it would be fair to explore I believe.

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:09 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
And **** like this should be exposed. I'm glad she exposed it.

So she exposed it.

Now what?

From what I can recall, you really like Bruce Springsteen. What if Springsteen, despite his public persona, actually has an aspect to his personality that you find repulsive and disgusting?
What if the man goes to his grave, and you and the general public never learn of this?
You would still laud him as a great man, even though he may very well have some deep dark perversion, which he keeps well hidden.

You would have been admiring a lie.

I would venture a guess that ALL of us admire someone who, if we knew the whole truth, would change our minds.

How you you feel if Gibson was hospitalized over something unrelated to this, and in the course of his stay, it was discovered he was suffering from a lack of vitamin anti-wacko?
That's fixed, and there's a big push to have everyone who acts in any sort of rage to be diagnosed for this deficiency. Mel is the poster child for the sufferer of "Gibson Syndrome"

What people are upset about is his actions. They just want him to control his actions.
We all know racists, we don't realize they are, but there you go.

We (the general we) don't care if someone is a racist....as long as they keep it to themselves and never act out on it.

Again, he may be a asshole evil ****, or, sick with something that can be helped, even if he doesn't feel he needs it.