Mel Gibson, Racist, Sexist, and Violent--Has He Gone Too Far?

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:03 pm
@djjd62,
Sometimes I misunderstand my wife when she tell me we should go to BJ.

She will then give me a mad look and tell me to pull up my pants as she mean going shopping at the store chain BJ.

Mel is not the only one passion on that subject djj62. Rolling Eyes

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:08 pm
@Jeremiah,
Quote:
Anyone who has had a serious relationship breakup can relate.

No, I can't. I have been angry, but I never resorted to calling anyone such horrible, racist names. I have never had a man in my life act that way either. I've seen enough of your posts Jeremiah to know you have some serious issues concerning women and your lack of respect for them. I think if you think this is normal behavior you need to take a good look at yourself. Maybe you and Mel can get a group discount if you go for sensitively and anger management counseling together. I feel sorry for the women in both your lives.
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:10 pm
@Green Witch,
agreed, i've gotten drunk and showed up somewhere i shouldn't have trying to win the girl back (funny how that only works in movies), but i've never dreamed of resorting to anything near Mel's level of vitriol
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:12 pm
Unfortunately I have known two other men who have acted very similar to the way Mel is behaving. Everything in my opinion points to a mental disorder - Narcissitic Personality Disorder.

What if it was the girlfriend's son who was doing the taping? Would your opinions be different for the admissibility of the recordings?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:35 pm
@Jeremiah,
Jeremiah wrote:
Latest Mel's rant. What an entertainer...
R entertainers held to a different standard ?
Listening to his rant, I felt sorry for both of them.
He clearly was not a happy fellow; he does not appear to be enjoying his life.
The causes of his objections and dissatisfaction might or might not
relate to the victim of his screaming (ex-wife ?); in fairness,
we don 't know what preceded his anger.
She might be 100% innocent, or she might have caused it.

I have never spoken to any chick in such angry tones of voice
(nor woud I ever consider doing so),
but I have had screaming like that directed against me.
I did not take it seriously.

David
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:38 pm
@plainoldme,
"Why any woman would want to be involved with Gibson is something I can't understand..."

Oh really? You can't understand why this gold digger would want a very rich man like Mel? It's all about the money to this Russian broad.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:42 pm
@Jeremiah,
Quote:
h really? You can't understand why this gold digger would want a very rich man like Mel? It's all about the money to this Russian broad.

Ya, I gotta agree with Green Witch.

Mel is a complicated interesting hugely successful guy who can be very charming, and you assume that it is all about the money, that any woman who would want him is a gold digger?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:47 pm
She's a beautiful, fairly young woman. I think she could have her pick of men. But even if she was looking for money this seems like a humiliating method of obtaining it. Didn't I hear Mel offered her a few million not to release the tape and she turned him down? I think she just wants custody of her child now that she knows what evil lurks in Mel.
firefly

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
@mm25075,
Quote:
What if it was the girlfriend's son who was doing the taping? Would your opinions be different for the admissibility of the recordings?

No, it doesn't matter who taped the calls, their admissibilty in court will be determined under California law. They might be admissible.

On the latest tape, released today, it reveals that Gibson has been seeing a therapist. Doesn't seem to be helping him much. The therapist must be praying that his/her name doesn't get mentioned on a future tape. Mel isn't a good advertisement for business. But, at least, he is getting some professional help, or he was at the time the tape was made.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:58 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
She's a beautiful, fairly young woman. I think she could have her pick of men. But even if she was looking for money this seems like a humiliating method of obtaining it. Didn't I hear Mel offered her a few million not to release the tape and she turned him down? I think she just wants custody of her child now that she knows what evil lurks in Mel.
In fairness to Mel: so far, we have no reason to believe that
he is abusive to his children (as far as I 've heard).

As to the evil that lurks in him,
we only know:

1. he was a drunken driver
2. he was too stingy to hire a chauffeur
3. he screams at his ex-wife.

David
Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Verbal hostility counts as abuse. Imagine being a child in that household of warring adults? I doubt Mel bothers to control himself whether a child is present or not. People with this sort of anger issue are loose cannons.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:10 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
think she could have her pick of men. But even if she was looking for money this seems like a humiliating method of obtaining it. Didn't I hear Mel offered her a few million not to release the tape and she turned him down? I think she just wants custody of her child now that she knows what evil lurks in Mel.

Super super rich men I do not think so!!!!!

Lot more beautiful women in the world then super wealthy men.

Second why settle just for a few millions when she think that tape can gain her far more?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:17 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Second why settle just for a few millions when she think that tape can gain her far more?
I have not seen the tape....what is in it that would get her a better shake in front of a judge?
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I have not seen the tape....what is in it that would get her a better shake in front of a judge?

You should find the link and listen to it.

Paint him in a very bad and nutty light indeed and depending on the judge could cause him or her to go as far as the law allow into his pockets.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Verbal hostility counts as abuse. Imagine being a child in that household of warring adults?
I doubt Mel bothers to control himself whether a child is present or not. People with this sort of anger issue are loose cannons.
AGREED. One thing he was right about was his assertion that "u are an embarrassment to me";
obviously he brought it on himself by screaming those things,
but she sure was an embarrassment to him, by making it public.

That was quite a successful revenge!
0 Replies

firefly

@OmSigDAVID,
We also know that he is physically abusive. He admits to hitting his girlfriend on one of the tapes. That domestic violence incident is currently under investigation, and Gibson's admission that he hit her may become part of the evidence against him.

We also know he is an alcoholic. He has previously said he has had problems with alcohol his entire adult life.

We also know that he's filled with hatred and contempt for a lot of different groups of people.

I am reminded that Nicole Simpson kept pictures of her bruised face, after an assault by O.J., so that, if he killed her, people would know what he was capable of, and would believe he had done it. And there were also 911 calls where O.J. could be heard ranting in the background and trying to break her door down. She did worry that he would kill her and that he'd be able to get away with doing it.

Gibson's girlfriend has been under a court order not to release those tapes, and she has denied releasing them. She might not be the one who released them, although it might be someone close to her. But I wonder whether she taped these conversations, and let someone release them, as a way of trying to protect herself from him, just as Nicole Simpson tried to protect herself from O.J. She's documented Gibson's admission that he hit her, and she's documented his threats to hit her in the head with a baseball bat, and to kill her, on those tapes. He does sound so filled with rage toward her that he may be a real danger to her. These tapes may be her protection. Since everyone has now heard the rants, and threats, and his absolute contempt for her, he might be less likely to actually try to harm her because she's exposed him.

I can listen to the racial and ethnic slurs, and all the profanity, but listening to him talking about hitting her and threatening her, I really find hard to take.I find him very scary.

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:47 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
We also know that he is physically abusive. He admits to hitting his girlfriend on one of the tapes. That domestic violence incident is currently under investigation, and Gibson's admission that he hit her may become part of the evidence against him.

That is not completely clear.

Quote:
Gibson's girlfriend has been under a court order not to release those tapes, and she has denied releasing them. She might not be the one who released them, although it might be someone close to her. But I wonder whether she taped these conversations, and let someone release them, as a way of trying to protect herself from him, just as Nicole Simpson tried to protect herself from O.J. She's documented

The courts and the police had a copy so how in the hell is releasing them going to offer any more protection?

More far more likely to drive him completely insane and causing her to be attack then otherwise.
aidan

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:55 pm
@wayne,
Sorry Wayne - there is another poster I'm not familiar with named William and I was reading something by him right before I answered your post.

In what way would you consider his words and actions prejudiced but not racist?
firefly

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:06 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The courts and the police had a copy so how in the hell is releasing them going to offer any more protection?

The police knew O.J. was abusive too, and that didn't help Nicole.

Because now the whole world has heard those tapes. He's been publicly exposed. I think that makes him much less likely to actually hurt her because the exposure helps to diminish his power over her.

It was wise of her to tape his rants. Otherwise the police wouldn't have heard him either.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 03:10 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
From what I can recall, you really like Bruce Springsteen. What if Springsteen, despite his public persona, actually has an aspect to his personality that you find repulsive and disgusting?

I would want to know. And it would have an effect on whether or not I supported him or not. Not to get too far into it - but in my case-Michael Jackson is a good example of someone I initially liked as an artist - found out about various aspects of his personal life which I had strong negative feelings about (and yes, I do believe what was alledged about him was true) and though I cannot say that I never listened to or liked any of his songs after that - I CAN say that I never bought another record by him, precisely because I didn't want to contribute to his livelihood and the Neverland Ranch where I believe he abused young boys.
Did it make a difference to him or to anyone else? No, probably not. But it made a difference to me.
Quote:
What if the man goes to his grave, and you and the general public never learn of this?

He'd have succeeded in deceiving everyone.
Quote:
You would still laud him as a great man, even though he may very well have some deep dark perversion, which he keeps well hidden.

Yep- I would have been deceived - and that would be a shame.

Quote:
You would have been admiring a lie.

Right. And is that better than knowing the truth in your book? Or is it the same?

Quote:
I would venture a guess that ALL of us admire someone who, if we knew the whole truth, would change our minds.

Yep - and I still think I'd rather know the truth. Unfortunately, it's probably not what's always available to everyone. This time it is. I think that's good.

Quote:
How you you feel if Gibson was hospitalized over something unrelated to this, and in the course of his stay, it was discovered he was suffering from a lack of vitamin anti-wacko?

The same as I'd feel if anyone were hospitalized and found to be suffering.
Quote:
That's fixed, and there's a big push to have everyone who acts in any sort of rage to be diagnosed for this deficiency. Mel is the poster child for the sufferer of "Gibson Syndrome"

?

Quote:
What people are upset about is his actions. They just want him to control his actions.

Yes, exactly.
Quote:
We all know racists, we don't realize they are, but there you go.

?

Quote:
We (the general we) don't care if someone is a racist....as long as they keep it to themselves and never act out on it.

I do care if people are racist.

Quote:
Again, he may be a asshole evil ****, or, sick with something that can be helped, even if he doesn't feel he needs it.

Okay, so what if someone told your sister she needed a baseball bat upside the head, deserved to be raped by packs of black men, needed to give him a blow job or he'd burn down her house, berated the mother of your eight month old niece for falling asleep before she serviced him, knocked her teeth out and all throughout referenced, Jews, Blacks and Mexicans with derogatory terms and stereotypical slander?
Would you say, 'Oh, he might be sick...he might be missing some sort of vitamin or something.'

Maybe you would, but I'd say, 'Racist, violent, selfish and narcissistic asshole.'
In my book, Mel Gibson doesn't get a by on this just because he's Mel Gibson. Neither would Bruce Springsteen.