Mel Gibson, Racist, Sexist, and Violent--Has He Gone Too Far?

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:14 am
@chai2,
I agree with your position here, the media loves to paint us a picture that creates prejudice before all the facts are available. It looks bad for Mel, and he may or may not deserve it, but we really have little evidence to cast judgement other than the fact that his involvment in this kind of situation again says bonehead.
My heroes have never been the actors either.
By the way, your mention of Antarctica reminds me of one of my favorites, Ernest Shackleton, now there was an exceptional man.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:51 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I think she set him up too. Those were taped phone conversations. But I don't think it takes much to get Mel going on a rant, and she certainly didn't put those words in his mouth. She may have pushed his buttons, but she let him do the rest by himself. And the kind of person he reveals himself to be is just plain awful.

Her lawyer may have advised her to tape phone conversations with Mel.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 07:09 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Her lawyer may have advised her to tape phone conversations with Mel

A lawyer that would advised her to break the law?
snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 07:39 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Her lawyer may have advised her to tape phone conversations with Mel

They are inadmissable in court - it isn't clear that the taping in and of itself is illegal.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 07:49 am
@BillRM,
First, I had no idea that the taping without permission of private conversation between two individuals was against the law.

Second, as a woman I know how threatening men can be outside the spotlight. A woman making a complaint of threats against her will be asked for documentation, both by the police and by the court.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:01 am
@plainoldme,
In Florida it happen to be and it is my understanding it is so in CA also.

Roughly a decade ago there was middle class couple blackmailing johns by the husband video taping the wife in the act of having sex with them.

One of the criminal charges that resulted was base on the sound recording part of the video.

The newspapers stories stated that the video without sound would not had been a crime but the sound part ran into the two party permission rule.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:08 am
@plainoldme,
If she was in fear of this man I can not think of anything that would be better design to set him off then her releasing those tapes not to the court or police but to the public.
engineer

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:32 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

It's not against the law in all states. In mine, one party may tape a conversation without the other's knowledge. As someone above pointed out, California requires two person agreement.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:35 am
@BillRM,
I think you are right in general, but the opposite is true in this case. By going public, she created a firestorm around Gibson that essentially bans him from pursuing her further. Any move he makes towards her would be well documented by the paparazzi. Gibson doesn't have the anonomity that an ordinary nut case would have to commit further crimes.
fast

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:00 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Have your feelings about Gibson changed as a result of these revelations?
No.

Quote:
Would you still want to see or support his movies?
Yes.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:26 am
I find it HILARIOUS that the liberal media on one hand complains and moans about unauthorized federal wiretapping, yet THIS perfect example of unauthorized, illegal wiretapping is being praised.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:34 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Gibson that essentially bans him from pursuing her further. Any move he makes towards her would be well documented by the paparazzi. Gibson doesn't have the anonomity that an ordinary nut case would have to commit further crimes.

This is not about logic this is about fearing a man who is not in control of his actions but driven by emotions.

Logic would call for not harming a woman under any conditions especially for a hight profile person.

Releasing those tapes to the public if you are in fear of this man does not made sense.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:36 am
@Jeremiah,
Quote:
THIS perfect example of unauthorized, illegal wiretapping is being praised.

This is not wiretapping and does not come under wiretapping laws. She recorded phones conversation on her own phone and doing so is legal in some states and not legal in others without the permission of the other party.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:37 am
@Jeremiah,
Why? First of all, it is not wiretapping, because, it is possibly the woman herself who made the tapes. Wiretapping is third party monitoring. Second, why any woman would want to be involved with Gibson is something I can't understand but this is a woman who will be linked to him legally for a long time to come as they have a child together. She's be crazy not to monitor her conversations with him.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:40 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Second, why any woman would want to be involved with Gibson is something I can't understand

Money lot and lot of money and a super rich lifestyle just to start with.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:29 am
@snood,
Actually, I heard a lawyer say today that the tapes might be admissible in court because they contain evidence of the commission of a felony (actually several felonies) and that may likely provide an exception to the California two party consent for taping.
On the tapes, Gibson admits to assaulting her (she claims he hit her so hard he knocked two of her teeth out), possibly hitting her when she was holding their baby (which is child endangerment), and he also threatens to seriously harm and kill her (which is aggravated harassment). So, according to the lawyer I heard, the tapes might not only be admissible, they might be instrumental in putting Gibson behind bars for several years.

In the latest tape, released today, the ranting Gibson threatens to burn the house down if his girlfriend doesn't give him him oral sex.
If you care to listen, that one is here
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/07/exclusive-audio-out-control-mel-gibson-says-hell-burn-down-house-after-demanding

Charming fellow. Rolling Eyes

It is not known who has leaked these tapes. The girlfriend has denied doing it.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:40 am
@firefly,
I have not actually listened to the tapes. The media reports are enough to give me an idea of how scary and ugly Gibson sounds.

They also sound like the kind of rants that are spoken by characters in films such as Taxi Driver, Scarface, or Goodfellas. I am wondering if Gibson has lost touch with his own personality and has confused himself with the scary characters from such films.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:40 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
In the latest tape, released today, the ranting Gibson threatens to burn the house down if his girlfriend doesn't give him him oral sex.
If you care to listen, that one is here

Come on the guy was saying any random hateful thing that came into his sick mind and the threats was evil but not real threats.

If she was at all concern about the matter she would had not had released them to the public.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:48 pm
Latest Mel's rant. What an entertainer...

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/07/exclusive-audio-out-control-mel-gibson-says-hell-burn-down-house-after-demanding
djjd62

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:55 pm
he's passionate about blow jobs if nothing else