Which democrats honestly have the best shot at winning?

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:51 pm
Both the primary and the actual election?

I could see Howard Dean winning the primary but not the actual election, but maybe I'm wrong?

I could see Wesley Clark winning both?

What about you? Who do you think can win?

It would be helpful if you could also discuss who you think should win? or whether the one who you think could win has any policies or ideas that you dislike or especially like.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,077 • Replies: 66
No top replies

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:55 pm
Right now, none. Not one has the juice, IMO, to take Bush on. And that's a very sad thing.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 11:58 pm
Dean
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:05 am
Just a wild guess.
Dean/Edwards -2004
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:05 am
Well then who do you support? Obviously not Bush. I'm not sure yet but I'm leaning towards Dean myself.

http://www.issues2000.org/

I share his views on just about everything but bolstering the drug war. But then again, I feel the same way about Clark, Lieberman (especially his stand on Iraq) and especially Edwards (though I doubt he can win).

He even seems to advocate nation building over isolationism.

So I really don't care who wins, just as long as it's a democrat.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 01:50 am
Carol Mosley Brown
You forgot to include her. Yeah, she doesn't stand a chance to win the nomination. Niether does Kuscinich, who in my view is the closest to whom I would vote for.

If GW wins I feel that the USA is doomed.Full blown Plutocracy with Police State structure.

Kiss the Constitution and the Bill of Rights GOODBYE.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 01:59 am
Yes I left off Bob Graham and Carol Braun. Who cares though, it's not like either has a shot.

edit: interesting how both have dropped out making this poll perfect.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 05:43 am
umm... George W Bush isn't a democrat.
and Bob Graham dropped out a long time ago.

I can't believe that there are people out there who think that Dean has a shot of winning the general election. Clark and possibly Kerry are the only ones with a chance.

Clark/Dean 2004
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 06:39 am
ye110man wrote:
umm... George W Bush isn't a democrat.
and Bob Graham dropped out a long time ago.

I can't believe that there are people out there who think that Dean has a shot of winning the general election. Clark and possibly Kerry are the only ones with a chance.

Clark/Dean 2004

The Nation has an article on Clark and one on why one of the magazines writer's supports Dean.

pistoff wrote:

If GW wins I feel that the USA is doomed.Full blown Plutocracy with Police State structure.

Kiss the Constitution and the Bill of Rights GOODBYE.

I fear you may be right--I have a game that set in a future American Revolution in the works!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:41 am
I wish there were two parts to this question: Who do you think will have the best shot? and To what extent do you think the media have influenced your opinion?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 09:36 am
What eoe said.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:15 am
eoe wrote:
Right now, none. Not one has the juice, IMO, to take Bush on. And that's a very sad thing.

Being of the Right Wing Conservative school of thought, I have to agree with you eoe. I am well aware at how weak the media have painted GWB and you Demoncrats should be ashamed with yourselves that out of a whole party of educated, misguided but admittedly well meaning people, you can't manage to find ANYONE who can match our man in the White House. Just goes to show how far your party has fallen from the days in which it produced some great presidents and statesmen.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:24 am
I must say that I'm surprised that with the clear majority of liberals within these discussions that Bush still pulls a reasonable percentage of votes in the poll attached to this discussion. I wonder how many of those votes were cast by Democrats or liberals who simply believe Bush will win despite their desire to see him lose. (The poll isn't asking who you want to win, but who you think most likely to win.)
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:44 am
chances are that dean will win the nomination. and if that happens, you can bet on 4 more years of bush.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:58 am
ye110man wrote:
chances are that dean will win the nomination. and if that happens, you can bet on 4 more years of bush.

Inherent in your comment I infer the notion that we might not have another 4 years of Bush if someone else got the nod for the Dems. Who might that be?
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:10 am
Quote:
Demoncrats should be ashamed ... [that] you can't manage to find ANYONE who can match our man in the White House.

The shame is not in the inability to find a match, the shame is the state of affairs when elections are determined by the size of the campaign coffers.

The shame is not in the inability to match the fundraising prowess of a sitting president with unabashed ties and allegiance to the economical overclass. The shame is in how this is perverting and eroding what is supposed to be a representative democracy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:11 am
Oprah
Taking a cue from Arnold Schartzenegger's victory in California, could Oprah win the presidency?

The Democrat with the best chance of beating Bush is Bill Clinton.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:54 am
gravy wrote:
Quote:
Demoncrats should be ashamed ... [that] you can't manage to find ANYONE who can match our man in the White House.

The shame is not in the inability to find a match, the shame is the state of affairs when elections are determined by the size of the campaign coffers.

The shame is not in the inability to match the fundraising prowess of a sitting president with unabashed ties and allegiance to the economical overclass. The shame is in how this is perverting and eroding what is supposed to be a representative democracy.

If I want to support your candidacy by helping you fund your campaign, am I "eroding what is supposed to be a representative democracy"? If I give you $5? $10? $1,000? At what point does my exercise of free political speech become an erosion of our system?
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:36 pm
Scrat,

I am not certain what the threshold is (was), though my uncertainty does not disprove my point.

It seems that you and Enron are different beasts (figuratively, I respectfully disclaim) with respect to free political speech, as is your $5-100 donation vs. a 6-figure one with respect to who will later come calling for due representation .

The system I was referring to as being eroded was a representative democracy (meaning representing the people), not a representative plutocracy (meaning representing the wealthy elite).
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 01:08 pm
Re: Oprah
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Taking a cue from Arnold Schartzenegger's victory in California, could Oprah win the presidency?

The Democrat with the best chance of beating Bush is Bill Clinton.

Not Hillary?
0 Replies