the fact = ?

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:14 am
'This is an antibody that evolved after the fact. That is part of the problem we have in dealing with HIV ?

I think the author refers "this" to " that one of them neutralised 91 per cent of HIV strains". But this antibody "gets ahead of the virus". No problem here, so why the author says "this is part of the problem"?

Context:
Now researchers have revealed three powerful antibodies have been discovered. Writing in the journal Science today, they said that one of them neutralised 91 per cent of HIV strains.
Study author Dr Gary Nabel of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases,said: 'This is an antibody that evolved after the fact. That is part of the problem we have in dealing with HIV - once a person becomes infected, the virus always gets ahead of the immune system.
'What we are trying to do with a vaccine is get ahead of the virus.'
In the UK, there are 73,000 people living with HIV - the virus that progresses into AIDS - and experts believe that 30 per cent of people with HIV do not know they have the condition.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1293338/Super-antibodies-pave-way-effective-AIDS-vaccine.html#ixzz0tTP9cFOd
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 700 • Replies: 9
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:17 am
after the fact = after someone has the disease
oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 08:26 pm
@PUNKEY,

Thanks.
Still I didn't get what the "that" meant in "That is part of the problem we have in dealing with HIV ".
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 06:34 am
@oristarA,
The issue of the antibody having evolved after the fact is part of the problem they have in dealing with HIV.

oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 07:29 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks.

Is "this antibody" is one of the " three powerful antibodies that have been discovered"? in the context "Now researchers have revealed three powerful antibodies have been discovered"? That is why I've got confused.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 07:43 am
@oristarA,
Yes. "Three antibodies"... "one of them neutralized 91 percent"... "This is an antibody that evolved after the fact."
oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:12 pm
@DrewDad,
But the antibody is the part of the SOLUTION, not the part of the problem they have in dealing with HIV.

That is why I got confused.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 07:16 am
@oristarA,
I suppose that he could be saying, "this is an antibody that continued to evolve after it was first created."
oristarA

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:25 am
@DrewDad,
But this antibody occurred naturally, not was created by scientists.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:43 am
@oristarA,
Correct.
0 Replies