Smooth Patriotism

fansy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:49 am
Quote:
At Riverside Church in Harlem in 1967, Dr. King made another attempt to reclaim patriotism. He told his audience they had to move beyond “the prophesying of smooth patriotism” toward “a firm dissent based upon the mandates of conscience and the reading of history.”

What is "smooth patriotism"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,458 • Replies: 5
No top replies

snood

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:30 am
@fansy,
fansy wrote:

Quote:
At Riverside Church in Harlem in 1967, Dr. King made another attempt to reclaim patriotism. He told his audience they had to move beyond “the prophesying of smooth patriotism” toward “a firm dissent based upon the mandates of conscience and the reading of history.”

What is "smooth patriotism"?

Can you either reference a particular sermon or speech from a specific date, or paste a fuller quote, to make it easier to try to figure out what was said? As its written here, "smooth patiotism" means nothing to me. But since Dr King's words were always imminently understandable, I would like to see more detail of what you quoted, as right now I can't even be sure you quoted correctly.
fansy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:41 am
@snood,
Here is the link to the article I quoted. My quote is the last paragraph but one:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-edwards/a-deeper-purpose_b_48605.html
See if you can get some help from the whole article. Thanks
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:45 am
This is a more complete quotation, taken from a sermon/speech he gave on April 4th, 1967 at Riverside Church in NY City:

"...Some of us who have already begun to break the silence of the night have found that the calling to speak is often a vocation of agony, but we must speak. We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. And we must rejoice as well, for surely this is the first time in our nation's history that a significant number of its religious leaders have chosen to move beyond the prophesying of smooth patriotism to the high grounds of a firm dissent based upon the mandates of conscience and the reading of history. Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movement well and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us...."

The entire speech was a condemnation of our involvement in Vietnam, and a call to conscience to the American people. what he was referring to by "smooth patriotism", in my opinion, was the tendency of people to use easy catchphrases and meaningless sentiment in our expression of our patriotism. He was challenging people to answer to their own consciences when they think of Vietnam, and to see Vietnam in the harsh light of historical reality.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:25 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
imminently understandable

eminently
snood

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:15 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

snood wrote: